[closed] Umbra... Now available on Steam

From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • Colludium I know the feeling. Somedays you just want to make a totally different game and try out new concepts. But the thing I've learnt from my previous projects is that once I put them down even if it's because of a vacation I loose interest in the project and never work on it again.

I'm going to Spain on vacation in two weeks so I'll bring my laptop so I can work a couple of minutes there a day to prevent this

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Somedays you just want to make a totally different game and try out new concepts. But the thing I've learnt from my previous projects is that once I put them down even if it's because of a vacation I loose interest in the project and never work on it again.

Exactly! Good plan to take your project with you - that's what I do too, much to my family's despair! Just keep a satisfying balance of game, sunshine and sangria....

• It can be a long haul at times, especially when you have a day job and family to fit in. I have just about finished the overhaul of my game and there have been times where i too have felt like calling it a day . It's a great feeling to finish a project though.

• Thank you for your good advice and support .

My creative block has been overcome, finally, and some more hazards have been duly added to level 4:

• Colludium

Did you have a difficult childhood ?

• lol spongehammer all is well : he isn't at the "stage" Binding of Isaac... for the moment :p

• lol spongehammer all is well : he isn't at the "stage" Binding of Isaac... for the moment :p

• [quote:1njezzlm]I've got to be honest, I think that I've only got a few more puzzles in me before I lose the will to live (maybe one more level after this one). Betta make 'em whoppas, then!! So then I can concentrate on making the rest of the game look and sound good. And then I can take a rest. Fair play to those who do this for years at a time - I've been working on Umbra for over 6 months and I am starting to need to do something else. But I know that if I put this down it'll gather dust and languish forever in the 'nearly finished' pile....

Oooh that "nearly finished" pile is quite a sad thing.

I must say, I'm quite intrigued by your game. It looks brilliant and it's nice to see that physics are utilized thoroughly. The similarities between Umbra and Limbo are quite apparent, I can see why the two games are quite comparable. But then again, there are dozens of platformer puzzle games that have followed a similar art direction.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to give an honest critique

• landman - I'm always happy for criticism and advice - anything to make the game better if I can .

I'm looking good for avoiding putting it onto the 'to do later' pile but my original hope to finish it by about now has faded.... Hopefully by the end of the year it'll be done!

Limbo was a brilliant game because of many factors, not least the art style and the care with which that art was woven into the game. I expect a lot of comparisons, just because it got there first with the whole dark silhouette theme of course. I hope when people play mine they'll see that it's not a clone and that the game is enjoyable on its own merits. Thanks for the feedback and showing an interest!

• So I've been working on something a little different for level 5.....

• Mode "Carmageddon " activated

• Mode "Carmageddon " activated

lol. In my imaginary world, that's what's about to happen...

...as long as I manage to avoid getting bogged down creating the world's largest unnecessary car lighting effects - when I should be concentrating on making the layout obstacles...

• lol. In my imaginary world, that's what's about to happen...

Your imaginary world is a scary world lol

• Tee hee!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)