The Big NW.js Roundup - News & Tips

From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • The latest official version is 0.30.4.

Is that a very old version?

I have never really thought about including the official scirra greenworks plugin due to its old version.

What can be done with that official greenworks plugin?

https://www.construct.net/en/construct-2/addons/83/greenworks

The issue with the current plugins (both C2 and C3), is that they only work with selected/old versions of NWjs. We're soon going to release a project that will make it possible to use any version of NWjs with the official plugins and the Greengrinds plugin. Plugin specific features will remain the same.

We're hoping that Ashley will cooperate with us and use this project when it's out.

• We're soon going to release a project that will make it possible to use any version of NWjs with the official plugins and the Greengrinds plugin. Plugin specific features will remain the same.

We're hoping that Ashley will cooperate with us and use this project when it's out.

Wow that sounds like a worthy endeavor. I had a big pain when releasing my games on Steam with the offical Greenworks plugin. Mainly because it required a specific version of NWjs but that specific version had a very visible player facing bug. There was an updated version of NWjs to fix it, but I couldn't use it because of the C3 greenworks plugin.

I hope that project works out! Thanks!

• The project has now been released!

Here are: Custom Greenworks Prebuilds. Construct 3 and Construct 2 users are now able to always use the NWjs version they like. It works with the official plugins and the 3rd party Greengrinds plugin.

• After updating my game with NW 0.43 (from NW 0.23), i've replaced the icon with Res Hacker as I always do, and released the build on Steam, and users report me the icon they see in the task bar is a pink square... any idea? <.<

The icon is the same as before, 32x32, 16mln colours

• After updating my game with NW 0.43 (from NW 0.23), i've replaced the icon with Res Hacker as I always do, and released the build on Steam, and users report me the icon they see in the task bar is a pink square... any idea? <.<

The icon is the same as before, 32x32, 16mln colours

Please upload the icon and source image so I can test it on my end.

Also, what steps did you take in ResHack exactly?

• Thank you so much TheRealDannyyy! This will be extremely helpful for the whole community. No more being forced to use old versions of NWjs! Thanks again.

• > After updating my game with NW 0.43 (from NW 0.23), i've replaced the icon with Res Hacker as I always do, and released the build on Steam, and users report me the icon they see in the task bar is a pink square... any idea? <.<

>

> The icon is the same as before, 32x32, 16mln colours

Please upload the icon and source image so I can test it on my end.

Also, what steps did you take in ResHack exactly?

Here the icon and image.

To apply it, as i've always done, I:

-Open ResHack

-Drag nw.exe (renamed to run_game) on the left panel

-Open the "Icon" folder

-Right click on "1" and click on "Replace icon"

-Insert my icon, save and exit

• Danwood The link doesn't work, please fix.

As a side note, are you using NW2 by any chance? I just reported an issue regarding that, which sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

• Danwood The link doesn't work, please fix.

As a side note, are you using NW2 by any chance? I just reported an issue regarding that, which sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

Yes it is the same issue! im using nw2 and thats the same pink icon appearing.

• The new window implementation of NWjs (NW2) has been released and is enabled by default now!

The previously reported window icon bug has also been fixed. Sadly the window size/resolution issue is still there but thanks to Ashley sharing the workaround that C3 is using, I might release an example that works with C2 soon. It's still being worked on by the NWjs developers, so I'll give them some time to fix it internally before doing that.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • But what does that mean for our games?

• But what does that mean for our games?

It's now using the same window tech that Chrome and Electron are using. Any NWjs specific window bugs should be fixed now.

There could be more improvements with 3rd party software compatibility. I haven't done any major testing yet.

• So...

I'm working on a big project, a game where a whole ecosystem is simulated: hundreds of objects are on the map in real time and interact with each other and with the world.

Performance issues are not new to me, and in the last NW versions (with NW2 enabled) they're are better, but there is a problem: after few minutes in game, lag starts.

I've just discovered that when i unload all sounds, the lag disappears and CPU usage goes back as it should be!

This is a great discovery for me, cause i've at least an understanding on the issue, my concern now is to find a way to use that to solve the issue unintrusively: i can't just trigger "unload all sounds" from now and then, that would ruin the game's atmosphere...

Do you have any suggestion? I've read there is a trick in this guide related to the issue, is it still relevant in newer NW2?

Thanks, and btw TheRealDanny, you're doing God's work, it's really appreciated :*

UPDATE1: i'm trying the GC workaround, should i execute "global.gc();" every tick, at a timer or just at layout start?

UPDATE2: Unreleted with the above issue, but the icon is still a red square in NW 0.42.4 and nightly 0.42.5, although the changelog states it is fixed.

• I've just discovered that when i unload all sounds, the lag disappears and CPU usage goes back as it should be!

First thing would be to try this out in other browsers, to see if this is a general problem with the web or NWjs only.

Do you have any suggestion? I've read there is a trick in this guide related to the issue, is it still relevant in newer NW2?

If you mean forced garbage collection. That's only going to instantly unload stuff from memory, shouldn't change anything CPU related.

There could be tons of possible causes for CPU spikes. You'll have to isolate the exact events and try to reproduce them in a smaller project.

As always, if it's caused by NWjs, I can report it for you but general issues like these are better for Ashley to investigate. NW2 shouldn't make a difference in this regard.

• > I've just discovered that when i unload all sounds, the lag disappears and CPU usage goes back as it should be!

First thing would be to try this out in other browsers, to see if this is a general problem with the web or NWjs only.

> Do you have any suggestion? I've read there is a trick in this guide related to the issue, is it still relevant in newer NW2?

If you mean forced garbage collection. That's only going to instantly unload stuff from memory, shouldn't change anything CPU related.

There could be tons of possible causes for CPU spikes. You'll have to isolate the exact events and try to reproduce them in a smaller project.

As always, if it's caused by NWjs, I can report it for you but general issues like these are better for Ashley to investigate. NW2 shouldn't make a difference in this regard.

The CPU spikes and consequent lag disappear as soon as i unload all sounds, so if GC isn't involved, it's not a NW issue, as you stated.

PS: read my last post edits for a few more things :P

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)