The Big NW.js Roundup - News & Tips

From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • Here I have uploaded an empty project exported with NWjs.

dropbox.com/s/881v2to5wf4nfnq/errorNwjs.rar

It takes approx 10 seconds for the NWjs window to appear.

Sometimes it takes a little less time.

Then the problem:

In C2 when I press the "Run layout" button and the nwjs window appears, this window remains black for a long time until the game starts.

With the exported project, in most cases the NWjs window takes a long time to appear.

• Here I have uploaded an empty project exported with NWjs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/881v2to5wf4nfnq/errorNwjs.rar?dl=0

It takes approx 10 seconds for the NWjs window to appear.

Sometimes it takes a little less time.

Then the problem:

In C2 when I press the "Run layout" button and the nwjs window appears, this window remains black for a long time until the game starts.

With the exported project, in most cases the NWjs window takes a long time to appear.

Thanks but I could actually reproduce this already. Will use this anyway for consistency. it's gonna take a bit of time before I create the report, I'll post a heads up when it's done.

• ACCES-Mathieu If you modify the package.json file after exporting, please also provide the edited version. So far I can't notice anything special with the files.

The only thing I change in package.json is the last instruction that I add manually :

--disable-devtools

Then I follow your instructions to use the tool to secure the assets :

NW.js Secure Assets.bat and it deletes the package.json

ACCES-Mathieu The only version I could find is the one released on the 12th August 2019 (v0.40.1), I will base the report on that. I still need more info.

Any minimal project for reproduction would help. Since part of what you're reporting is a crash, could you please ask a user to zip up the folder called crashpad? I know it's probably something you'd like to avoid but there are no other options, unless you can provide something for reproduction. [%LOCALAPPDATA%\#PROJECT NAME#\User Data\CrashPad]

My problem is that our customers are not happy with the bug, and DO NOT want to be beta testers of my different tries to find a solution.

So when I'll have a new customer on the phone, I will definitely access these crash reports, but until then I won't call them back to have access to their computer.

How outdated are the systems? The problems that come with outdated systems are usually not caused by the OS itself but by the drivers not being up to date. Most of them are included in the Windows Updater nowadays. Issues with the renderer (e.g. outdated graphics driver) should be inside the crashlog as well.

I'll check this also, but it seemed to me that the last windows update was 2+ years old.

• The only thing I change in package.json is the last instruction that I add manually :

--disable-devtools

Alright, no problems here.

Then I follow your instructions to use the tool to secure the assets...

This is a very outdated feature which might have been broken over the years. I'd honestly recommend not doing this anymore because it really doesn't matter. People that want to steal your project's assets, will be able to do it regardless. Not only that but it will also increase startup loading times by quite a bit, depending on your project.

I removed this now. Again, you can keep using it but I don't recommend it.

My problem is that our customers are not happy with the bug, and DO NOT want to be beta testers of my different tries to find a solution.

I know but there is not much the NW team could do with a report stating the stuff you mentioned.

I'll check this also, but it seemed to me that the last windows update was 2+ years old.

As long as they use an OS that is supported by NWjs, it should be fine from the OS side of things. Outdated drivers can still be an issue. You could test this in the future by checking if "WebGL" is supported on startup and displaying a prompt if it isn't. There should be a condition for that.

• I forgot to say, my system is win10 Home 64 with the latest update.

• I forgot to say, my system is win10 Home 64 with the latest update.

Good to know. I can reproduce it on Win7, they'll probably end up testing on OSX and Linux.

• Here is the report for the startup performance regression: github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/7192

Will wait with the other report until there is more info available.

• Here is the report for the startup performance regression: github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/7192

Will wait with the other report until there is more info available.

I think Roger just fixed it in today's nightly build :D Awesome work!

• > Here is the report for the startup performance regression: github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/7192

>

> Will wait with the other report until there is more info available.

I think Roger just fixed it in today's nightly build :D Awesome work!

I will check it out later and ask for the release date. If you follow the issue there you'll know.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Is there a list of steps to prepare a version of NWjs for C2?

So I don't have to wait for the official launch of Scirra.

• Is there a list of steps to prepare a version of NWjs for C2?

So I don't have to wait for the official launch of Scirra.

It's pretty straight forward. You just have to go to their website, get the files and put them into your NWjs source folder. Keep in my mind that their versions are bloated and don't have the DirectX dependency, which some PC's might require.

Ashley based on the blog post, v0.42.1 might be significant enough to justify an update for C2/C3 desktop exporting and C3 desktop in general (web worker crash fix). Would you mind updating when you find the time to?

• Thank you, so why doesn't Ashley publish how to convert NWjs to C2 / C3? So we don't have to wait for those we don't want to wait for.

• Thank you, so why doesn't Ashley publish how to convert NWjs to C2 / C3? So we don't have to wait for those we don't want to wait for.

No reason to since he's providing them already (sometimes slower but still). There is also the problem of user errors caused by not downloading and installing stuff the right way.

• The Roundup has just been updated!

This update mainly includes updates to existing workarounds to get your games to work right with Steam, while using more recent versions of NWjs.

There will soon be more news posted on how to use the Greenworks plugins with newer versions of NWjs. Stay tuned by following this topic!

Changes:

• <Added> How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Displaying Window Content
    • <Updated> How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Not Refreshing
    • <Updated> How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Not Appearing
  • The latest official version is 0.30.4.

Is that a very old version?

I have never really thought about including the official scirra greenworks plugin due to its old version.

What can be done with that official greenworks plugin?

construct.net/en/construct-2/addons/83/greenworks

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)