Chadori's Forum Posts

  • Over 5000 objects would probably be pushing it for low end machines, and large layouts should be fine (there's no memory/cpu usage proportional to layout size so it essentially doesn't matter how big a layout is). The only issue is objects store their position in single-precision floating point numbers, which means they might start getting inaccurately calculated at really big X/Y co-ordinates - it should be OK within 100,000 pixels of the layout origin though. You could always experiment with a slow moving object at (100000,100000) and see if it still moves OK (use unbounded scrolling to save having to make a layout that big).

    You'll probably get better performance with smaller levels with less objects: currently, construct has to check every object in the layout, no matter how far away it is from the screen, to see if it needs to be drawn or animated. This incurs a tiny performance penalty, but in theory having over 10,000 objects in a layout could slow down the game purely because those objects exist.

    — - Read the bold sentence above that Ashley said from 2010 .That is what I meant by usable & accurate layout size. That is 100,000 px

    Reference:

    i'm sorry but i dont know what accuracy your talking about ..... i just know whenever layout settings are set manually (i guess this means usable with accuracy?)

    the min is automatically set to 2px if u try to do 1 or 0

    and maximum is automatically forced to 100,000 pixels if u try to type something more then 100,000 pixels (100k/ one hundred thousand)

    i know image is about project window size... same applies to layout sizes manually

    i have no idea what happens if u set it by events......

    hope no wild Lorax will appear.

    the margin (unusable size doesn't count)

    Okay, i get it. I can see that you also don't know the layout size true limit..... Look at my image below:

    It's 1,000,000 (a million px height & width).

    Ashley is the layout size limit dependent on the computer's capability?

  • 100,000 pixels max

    2 pixels minimum

    Min: 2 px

    Max: 1,000,000 px

    Layout size limit.... I think you are talking about the usable (with accuracy) layout size.

  • Good afternoon!

    A better way to do this would be just changing the variables or creating several buttons!?

    I think that will suffice.

    Edit: And add loops for auto-generated flow charts. Arrays will also be helpful for advanced purposes.

  • There is actually more to it than just using the action "save game" for example the "no save behavior" so I suggest you read this:

    https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/526/ho ... -savegames

  • how is the file the problem? Adjusted how? I know it's very short and small. I may want to use or at least try that file. An open-file action should not hang an application. There should be some sort of error checking so I don't have to End Task on C2 and lose unsaved changes.

    You are right that there should be checking & warning, i didn't say i disagree.... And what i'm only trying to say is that your file can't be read by C2 for some reason and the only way for you to use it now is by readjusting it using audio editors like Audacity.

    Here, i tweaked it for you:

    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjcW2ueud6qp1Q-5JGEJcRHu8Acx

    C2 should be able read it now.

  • The image doesn't cover the entire event. Can you screenshot the entire event with all the conditions & actions. But it will be better if you had a .capx .

    Based on your explanation & image. It's either the sprite or the action the one causing problem.

  • I can confirm this. The import progressbar is full but it doesn't close or give warning that the file is causing problem.

    Still, the file is the problem. It can be adjusted though using audio editors like Audacity.

  • Try Construct 3

    Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

    Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have never used phonegap before for building C2 games. Since IntelXDK is planning to drop support for Cordova, i would also like to plan my future build options.

    So have anyone of you guys tried building c2 games using phonegap? Is it good? In a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate phonegap ? And adding Cons and Pros would also be helpful. Thanks.

  • Am I the only one who continually puts parentheses around text instance variables, which ends up causing no end of trouble when your event sheet reads them as ""Red"" instead of as "Red"?

    Also, this is the right forum for this, right?

    When I was still new in C2, i made the same mistake. But honestly, it didn't take long since I tested each variable type output before making a game.

    Yes as far as i know, this is the right section to post this topic.

  • Wow. This is actually very amazing. You've outdone yourself! This is worth buying!!!

  • It may become useful for some games but i don't think that will do good for others and may become a nuisance. It's only suitable for a specific case. In a general perspective i think we're better off just letting it be as it is now.

    I think a better suggestion is to persuade Ashley to a make better visual selection support for frames on C3.

  • Ohh. That. Why would you need that when you can just close the window and see?

  • it may not be used often, but the fact that you can reference instances by doing: Sprite(1).x for example.. or Sprite(-1).x can come in handy sometimes.

    Woah, i didn't know that!

    • Post link icon

    My stance on native engines is detailed here: https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/the-case-against-native-engines

    I think "make native engines" is everyone's knee-jerk reaction when something doesn't work. For example, sure, we could make changes to make publishing easier. But that can be done anyway. You don't need native code to solve that. I also have direct experience of working with a native engine for Construct Classic. That had enough problems to make me move away from it. It is certainly not perfect. Do not imagine it will magically fix everything!

    I have always believed that javascript is very slow and i believed that Native is the best solution but game design is also a huge factor (Actually the highest factor for me).

    But I imagine in a perfect world considering that game design is in it's optimum condition that going Native is still better in theory. Until your blog post. You have mentioned about WebAssembly, by the name it's obvious to me that it is also a low-level programming language like Assembly and generally way faster and might even clear my doubts.

    But also as you said, it is still in development.... Not to mention, it is also unstable. According to Google anyway...

    My question is, would it still be helpful to C3 on it's current state? Waiting for it may take too long... or am i missing something?