Audio Import Bug

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • Problem Description

When importing a very small audio file. C2 hangs on the import.

Attach a Capx

capx not needed

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36234790/dock.wav

Description of Capx

no capx, just the audio file (44.1 16bit mono wav format)

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• open empty project
    • right-click Sound folder to import audio file

Observed Result

indefinitely stays on the Import progress bar

Expected Result

It should give an error if there is a problem with the file.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (NO)
    • FireFox: (NO)
    • Internet Explorer: (NO)

Operating System and Service Pack

Win 8.1

Construct 2 Version ID

r239

• I can confirm this. The import progressbar is full but it doesn't close or give warning that the file is causing problem.

Still, the file is the problem. It can be adjusted though using audio editors like Audacity.

• how is the file the problem? Adjusted how? I know it's very short and small. I may want to use or at least try that file. An open-file action should not hang an application. There should be some sort of error checking so I don't have to End Task on C2 and lose unsaved changes.

• how is the file the problem? Adjusted how? I know it's very short and small. I may want to use or at least try that file. An open-file action should not hang an application. There should be some sort of error checking so I don't have to End Task on C2 and lose unsaved changes.

You are right that there should be checking & warning, i didn't say i disagree.... And what i'm only trying to say is that your file can't be read by C2 for some reason and the only way for you to use it now is by readjusting it using audio editors like Audacity.

Here, i tweaked it for you:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjcW2ueud6qp1Q-5JGEJcRHu8Acx

C2 should be able read it now.

• the only way for you to use it now is by readjusting it using audio editors like Audacity.

Here, i tweaked it for you:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjcW2ueud6qp1Q-5JGEJcRHu8Acx

yeah I'm assuming the problem is because the sound is so short. I can extend it as well. I have a huge sfx library and when I am auditioning sounds, I preview them, then import the ones I want to use. If C2 hangs on those short sounds (that work in preview) then I lose my changes since the last backup or save. Meaning I don't know C2 can't handle the file until it's too late.

btw, you added silence to the beginning of the sound and cut off the end. I would have added silence to the end of it so the timing doesn't change. technically you are adding a delay. just an fyi.

thanks

• Closing as won't fix: the problem is with the AAC encoder we use (which doesn't report an error, it just hangs), which is the one built in to Windows, so really it's a Windows bug. We can't easily change the encoder because AAC is a patent-encumbered format. The workaround is to use your own AAC encoder or extend the audio clip. Sorry, not much else we can do.

• Closing as won't fix: the problem is with the AAC encoder we use (which doesn't report an error, it just hangs), which is the one built in to Windows, so really it's a Windows bug. We can't easily change the encoder because AAC is a patent-encumbered format. The workaround is to use your own AAC encoder or extend the audio clip. Sorry, not much else we can do.

is there anyway you can add a cancel button?

• Ashley at least 3-4 times this has totally burned me where I was actively making many changes then loaded a sound file that hangs and I lose 1+ hours of work.

why not let the user decide it has 'hung' and add a cancel to the import dialogue? maybe this is more of a request/work-around than a bug? but if feels like a bug - not handling an exception (even though the encoder doesn't throw one).

EDIT: sorry don't mean to harp on this.. not that big of a deal really.. just wondering if a cancel button is an easy solution

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's not really that easy, audio can sometimes take a long time to encode anyway so you can't reliably detect a hang situation, it transcodes multiple files in parallel, the UI is blocking, etc. It's one of those "sounds easy but is hard" things.

• Ashley

I wish we could drag/drop audio files into the project. That would be so much faster and more convenient when batch installing tons of audio files .

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)