certifiedbozo's Forum Posts

  • In the Project Bar there should be a Families folder, create a new family consisting of your Player and Object (assuming they are both the same object type, which I'm assuming is Sprites) and then name it whatever you want (i'll refer to it as ZOrderFam)

    Then in the event sheet add an "ordered For Each" loop that runs every tick. Setting it to go through each object in the family in Ascending order by their Y value will make the actions start with the uppermost object and end with the lowermost one. Then adding the "Move to top of Layer" action will sort them and make the lower object appear in front of it.

    (side note this was in Construct 3 rather than 2 so there may be some differences between them but I'm pretty sure 2 has all the features I used in this example)

  • Tried out your method using the base64s and it still had the same errors.

    (Here's the screenshot of the error in DevTools in case that helps since i forgot in the original post)

    The error always happens when the game is switching layouts, could there possibly be an effect when Load Image is used while switching? The action is only on a trigger event so I don't think the problem is that it's happening too frequently but is there a limit on how many times you can call that action before it starts having issues?

  • I have a tiled BG object that I use for the background of loading screens, and I also have a feature that allows you to change the appearance of said background. When I first implemented this I used the Load Image from URL action to set the image from the Files folder of the project, and it worked just fine.

    However it also came with the downside of crashing the game sometimes. I found the error is "Texture released too many times" which seems to possibly be a Construct issue from what I could find from past forum posts.

    Is there some way to change the image of a tiled BG without using that action so that I can avoid the crash or is there some other method to avoid it? I've seen some people say reducing the spritesheet size can help but even the smallest size doesn't prevent the crash.

  • If both objects are on the same layer, you can do an easy Z sort by adding all of the objects into a family, and then using an ordered For Each loop to make them appear on top of each other:

    For Each ZOrderFam

    (ascending)

    ZOrderFam.y

    Move to top of layer

  • Nevermind, got it all sorted out! I changed the timer behavior to check how much wall clock time has passed instead and its so much more consistent, I do still wonder if this means that the timer behavior has some bugs when set to super fast speeds though, might be worth looking into.

  • After some more testing I think it could just have to do with the speed of the timer, and might even be an engine issue. The slower text (aka the ones with longer timers) are usually more consistent and sometimes with timers that aren't slow if I pause the game via debug mode and advance frame by frame the timer never triggers until I push resume.

    Does the system only check for timers every couple frames maybe? The fastest timer there is is (1 / 30) seconds but that should mean it only finishes every other frame, so why can't the engine pick up on it?

  • How would the timeline work? Can timelines interact with text like that? (i've only ever used them for sprite animations so i have no idea how i'd mkae typewriter with that)

  • I'm currently working on fixing up the dialogue system in my game, as the sounds were not synced up with the rate of the text. I'm using the typewriter text action and also starting a timer that is supposed to be synced with the rate of each character showing.

    I'm using the timer to keep track of where the typewriter is currently at, that way I can play sounds when the text changes. To put pauses in the text I've been putting + signs with a size of 0 using bbcode, so I'm just comparing the PlainText to make sure that sounds don't play when its paused.

    However, the timer behavior seems to be wildly inconsistent. Sometimes it's synced up perfectly, other times it is super delayed or has a big spike, and other times its super fast, and the results change every time I play the project. Is there something I'm missing with the timer behavior? Does it maybe get inconsistent at fast speeds? I'm super lost and I have no idea if its an issue on my part or an engine issue so if someone could help that'd be amazing

  • There are two tilemaps on different layers, sorry i probably should've taken a better picture I took it in a hallway but the bottom tilemap shows below then player and the top shows above

    But yeah if there's no way to z order with tiles either I'll have to find a way to make sprites not taxing or just stick with the flat tilemap, but thanks though!

  • Recently for a game I'm making I finally decided to add some depth to the tilemap, but putting another tilemap with a adjusted y-value and a higher layer, and I think it really adds to it. However, it comes with the problem of z-ordering with sprites. On the bottom it works as you would expect, concealing sprites to give a semi-3d-ish effect, but it also conceals them from the top which looks much worse.

    I was wondering if there was a way to somehow z-order the tiles? I could use sprites over each tile and z-order them that way but I'm assuming checking possibly hundreds of sprites every frame would be pretty taxing on the cpu so if theres a way to do it with the tilemap that'd be great!

    (just to help clarify the bottom tilemap is on the bottom layer, the player sprite on its own layer, and the top tilemap is on the uppermost layer)

    Tagged:

  • Oh that fixed it thank you! I don't remember putting it on a decimal point but I guess maybe it got shifted around during some resizing.

  • You could try disabling WebGPU (or enabling it). If you're on the beta branch it is enabled by default iirc and can lead to some pretty weird graphical bugs. For me random pixels are shiftet up or down, it's really weird.

    I tried that and it still had no effect, jittery pixels are still there

  • Try Construct 3

    Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

    Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • oh how much did you enlarge the sprite

    so if you were to have a sprite with dimensions in canvas size - 200*200 - but then enlarge the size by (example) 1200*1200 - the pixels show quite big and blurry

    is this the case for you too?

    its not blurry, the sprite is 300% scale but even lowering it doesn't fix the issue

  • No removing the padding didn't do anything

  • Yeah the object has a consistent canvas size the entire animation. There os some padding around it though, would removing that help? Let me try that real quick.