Sorry for necro, but this is still the most relevant thread that really pushed me forward (I went through so many of them), so here's some added info and more questions because I spent the whole day on this yesterday and whole morning today. I got my game to work with steam. It detects if Steam is online and it can tecnically start the overlay from the command. Case in point:
I am using...
The latest greenworks 0.33.3-R2 from the link above. I first had no idea how to install it, but you just open Construct 3 and go Menu > View > Addon Manager, no need to search for things on the hard drive.
nw.js v0.33.3 (chromium 69) - this can simply be chosen when exporting the file. Someone said you need the older version to play video files. You do not, this one works.
DLLs from Steam SDK 1.42 - I just deleted the file.zip from Steam's download link for the latest SDK, and got this:
I put the files directly into win64 folder of the game - I don't package assets because there's gigabytes of live action videos and I can't work with such a giant file without going insane.
The files I put are:
public\steam\lib\win64\sdkencryptedappticket64.dll - I did not put the sdkencryptedappticket64.lib from the same folder
redistributable_bin\win64\steam_api64.dll - I did not put the steam_api64.lib from the same folder
steam_appid.txt - I carefully changed encoding to ANSI but I can never be 100% sure it is NOT UTF-8 because every program claims a different thing -.-
After creating the Greenworks object, I can give the command to click the button and start the steam overlay. So it "works", BUT:
- it only works when I upload it to a steam branch. I would probably get the same result if I put it in the steam folder, I just realized that omg.
- all my clickable sprites below it are still clickable.
- parts of the actual overlay are NOT clickable. In other words, I can't close the overlay once I start it. But I can play the game behind it.
- shift+tab does not work. It just does not.
- It never gives the "you can shift+tab steam overlay" message like other games.
Some things I tried and didn't help:
- Using the old SDK completely and not just the .dll files. It just downloads updates, so I'm not sure that really does anything
- adding the .lib files mentioned above. Nothing changed. Nothing at all.
- I still haven't tried making the achievements, sorry. I will try them soon. Maybe it gives me some new information.