Local file & folder saves in Chrome

3 favourites
From the Asset Store
Ludo Local Multiplayer board game can be played by 2 to 4 players

Ashley thanks for explaining and providing a workable alternative! Though it seems a like a slower method? Currently previewing with the desktop build is like seconds to test my code/game, but when I tried to remote preview with Chrome it took me like 4+ minutes to load (I didn't wait till the end so I'm not sure how many more minutes).

Really? It should have just transferred it locally. If it's that slow it sounds like it's taking a roundtrip over the Internet for some reason.

Ashley The remote preview is great, but having a way to open chrome dev-tools would be nice, the default f12 does not seem to work?

It works for me - make sure you download the "SDK" version of NW.js, the "Normal" version doesn't include devtools.

yep makes sense, thanks

Ashley thanks it works well with that new method!

The only issue I can see is the additional tedium of this process.

For instance, I don't think this NWJS download will automatically check and install updates like C3 and other modern apps.

Also, not having NWJS open when you click Remote Preview is a bit inefficient, but perhaps if the users just create a shortcut in the quick launch bar it will be okay. If it's possible, having a setting that allows opening NW.exe path after Remote Preview is selected would be fantastic.

If there's a way to automatically paste the URL when you open NWJS to preview, that would be amazing too.

Also would be handy is additional settings to make testing computer games faster, since remote preview would become the primary mode of testing the game ~30+ times a day, perhaps things like being able to change the default quick preview button to "remote preview" rather than "preview layout" would save time too, or at least having a hotkey for remote preview.

Thanks

For instance, I don't think this NWJS download will automatically check and install updates like C3 and other modern apps.

The desktop download of C3 never checked for NW.js version updates either. It would have to be an entirely separate parallel update system. Besides, since the previewer uses your own version of NW.js, at least you can update immediately or to any minor or nightly release version, rather than having to wait for us to distribute updates (which is a bottleneck I also wanted to remove).

If it's possible, having a setting that allows opening NW.exe path after Remote Preview is selected would be fantastic.

Currently, browsers cannot launch executables for security reasons.

Also would be handy is additional settings to make testing computer games faster

Have you seen the new remote preview options in the latest beta?

Thank you for responding.

The desktop download of C3 never checked for NW.js version updates either ... rather than having to wait for us to distribute updates (which is a bottleneck I also wanted to remove.)

It sounds like the primary issue here is that the C3 desktop build does not automatically update. Is that an impossible thing to code?

It would have to be an entirely separate parallel update system. Besides, since the previewer uses your own version of NW.js, at least you can update immediately or to any minor or nightly release version,

Is a seperate update system better than none?

Shifting the burden entirely to the users to maintain updates does not feel like progress towards a better future, but instead a regression to older times.

Currently, browsers cannot launch executables for security reasons.

That's unfortunate, would be so cool to have the window open and paste the link across automatically.

I'm getting the impression that browsers just aren't quite ready to support C3 desktop development.

Have you seen the new remote preview options in the latest beta?

Thanks, yeah I think it's the choice of layout to run from? That's good, though what I was pointing towards with my post was having a faster shortcut to access Remote Preview, like a hotkey. For instance F5 opens regular preview, but what about Remote Preview? Or allowing the user to change this button to remote preview as well, since it's the primary way to test games.

I'm not sure you understood about updates: it's the NW.js version that does not automatically update, in neither the C3 desktop download, nor the NW.js previewer I just provided. With C3 desktop, to update the NW.js version we have to release an update, and then everyone has to go and download it again. With the NW.js previewer, there's not the step of waiting for us to release an update, so it's better: you can download updates directly from nwjs.io as soon as they're available, including nightly and minor updates. So it is an improvement over how the C3 desktop downloads worked. The C3 desktop download could update the C3 version automatically, because it's just new content on the server that gets downloaded, which I think is the source of the confusion.

There's already options to keep a Remote Preview going. You can leave the dialog open - including in its own popup window so you can move it elsewhere on your display - and then a normal preview (including pressing F5) updates Remote Preview.

Thanks for clarifying

Ashley Sorry for repeating my question - are you planning to add debug mode to remote preview? In Construct 2 it was possible and was quite useful, for example when optimizing performance on mobile devices.

And also there is no other way to debug NWJS projects.

As of r183 local file & folder saves are now enabled by default in beta releases of Construct. This means in beta releases you don't need to tick 'Enable experimental features' in Settings to use local file & folder saves - but you will still need to do that to use it in future stable releases. This is because the underlying Chrome feature is still itself experimental and subject to change, and so in theory things could break in future, and we don't want to expose stable release users to that potential breakage. However hopefully this makes it easier to use the feature and will get it more testing (although by now we're pretty confident the feature is working well). The original post has been updated, including stopping describing the feature as experimental, although it is still limited in its availability until Chrome fully ships the feature.

I've encountered the weirdest bug. Since r183-2 my Mighty Goose project keeps breaking. But not consistently. Bug report: https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/3604

Hey Ashley.

With experimental features enabled, should the file system access be working for chrome-android as well?

It appears that the API is compatible. Unless I'm missing something.

- Stephen

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Open local project folder option is now missing for me. In all releases that should support it. A chrome issue perhaps?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)