Local file & folder saves in Chrome

3 favourites
From the Asset Store
Ludo Local Multiplayer board game can be played by 2 to 4 players

There is now support for local file & folder saves in Chrome. This works right from the browser - there's no need to download the desktop app version for file access!

What you can do with it

• Save single-file projects (.c3p) anywhere on disk (previously you could only 'Download a copy')
    • Open a single-file project (.c3p), edit it, and save it back over the original file on disk
    • Use folder-based projects in the browser
    • Set backups to be saved to a local folder

This is made possible by a new experimental feature in Chrome which we are using in Construct 3. You can help test it too.

Accessing the feature

This feature is available when you use:

• Construct 3 r219.2+
    • Chrome 86+

Using it

In the main menu you should now find options Open local file and Open local project folder. These will load projects directly from disk. If you then edit them and press Save, it will save back over the same file/folder on disk. Similarly there are new save options Save as single file... and Save as project folder.... You will see various permission prompts while using these to ensure Chrome can access the files/folders on disk, but generally once you've granted access to a particular file/folder, you can continue using it for the rest of the session without any further prompts.

I've tested this using Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Stable) + chrome://flags/#native-file-system-api enabled. Everything works fine. Saving, quick saving [CRTL+S] and loading.

I find the info regarding the Origin trial a bit confusing. Do you know when this will actually go "fully" stable?

TheRealDannyyy v78 will be stable Oct 22.

There is a provisional schedule at goo.gle/fugu-api-tracker. I think that is subject to change, but it suggests the native file system origin trial will last through Chrome 78-80, and then ship for everyone in 81. We've signed up to the origin trial though, so it'll be enabled by default at editor.construct.net through Chrome 78-80, albeit behind the "experimental features" setting in Construct. We might wait a bit longer after Chrome 81 before enabling it by default in Construct itself, since we have to be sure project saving is totally robust before enabling it for everyone.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

There is a provisional schedule at goo.gle/fugu-api-tracker. I think that is subject to change, but it suggests the native file system origin trial will last through Chrome 78-80, and then ship for everyone in 81.

That Google sheet is amazing, thanks for sharing! Alright, let's hope it goes through and ships as expected in Chrome 81.

We've signed up to the origin trial though, so it'll be enabled by default at editor.construct.net through Chrome 78-80, albeit behind the "experimental features" setting in Construct. We might wait a bit longer after Chrome 81 before enabling it by default in Construct itself, since we have to be sure project saving is totally robust before enabling it for everyone.

That's good to know, won't need to play around with browser flags. Thanks for adding early support for this feature!

This is great news!

There is still one thing I believe web version can't do - preview in NWJS mode. Will this be added before retiring the desktop app?

And also, is there any way to override/disable Chrome keyboard shortcuts? I've closed Construct at least a hundred times by pressing Ctrl-F4 or Ctrl-W, it's the main reason I'm using Desktop build...

We'll figure out an alternatives for those at some point along the way. I'm not sure about keyboard shortcuts, I think there might be a separate feature being tracked for better keyboard shortcut access somewhere.

Looks promissing, great stuff.

I'm wondering if there will be any way to prevent the browser from closing without asking you Y/N before saving.

We've been discussing about the possible removal of the external image editor feature with some Construct Community members. Since you guys know all the details on what is and isn't possible, I'd like to propose the following system as a replacement.

Feature proposal: Local Image Sync

Replace the "external image editor" button with a "local image sync" button. If this button is pressed, Construct 3 will sync the current frame with a selected source file. If any synced source image has been modified by the user, Construct 3 could open the sprite editor to confirm/apply the changes.

I'd imagine reading the state of a file is possible using the new native file system API.

Yes it would be really nice to save to my local Dropbox folder rather than the other way around. 👌

And also, is there any way to override/disable Chrome keyboard shortcuts? I've closed Construct at least a hundred times by pressing Ctrl-F4 or Ctrl-W, it's the main reason I'm using Desktop build...

I've been using a Chrome addon called Shortkeys that does just that. It can also be set for specific sites. I have it set to disable both of those shortcuts on editor.construct.net.

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shortkeys-custom-keyboard/logpjaacgmcbpdkdchjiaagddngobkck

It's an alternative if you want to check it out.

TheRealDannyyy - there are various workarounds like you suggest, and there's also the fact you can copy and paste images now which might help make it quick to move content between editors too. There's another Project Fugu feature request though to launch an external app with a file which I think would do it.

TheRealDannyyy - there are various workarounds like you suggest, and there's also the fact you can copy and paste images now which might help make it quick to move content between editors too. There's another Project Fugu feature request though to launch an external app with a file which I think would do it.

That looks like it could solve the external image editor and maybe even custom preview problems.

Alright my suggested workaround isn't necessary. Hopefully this will make it into Chrome (and others), in the near future as well.

Didn't know the web had so many great features in the works.

I'm wondering if we will be able to "Reload from source" Sprites that were set up on the Desktop version?

I rely on this feature heavily and it would be amazing if, when this is all worked out, the Browser version remembered the filepath of Sprites done on the Desktop version

Michelangelo_Lite - your post appears to have nothing to do with this topic - if you have trouble using the website please contact supporttpo@scirra.com.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)