So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • I like that it has more upgrades above the old ui but I do not like the browser support currently

I have vivaladi which is a chromium based browser and it doesn't work regardless of how updated it is

I have swiron which is a chromium based browser and it doesn't work on their as well

it only works on the worst browser of all for stealing your information google chrome

and I really dislike that but otherwise I've found it slightly cumbersome to use

but I managed to get a pre-rendered 3d scene into the layout and put 2 hand drawn sprites

and have one of them zoom in on the press of any key leading the way for me to refine it so

that it appears like the hand sprite is going into the distance I hope otherwise I probably won't be able

to use this engine... and I don't know if their are any other decent alternatives to this.

I don't mind that it's in the browser but I need it to work on the browsers I am using .

• So far it looks familiar to me as I'm a C2 long time user. I loaded up my Simple Space Shooter game to test it out. The whole game is just 37 events however the interface still says "This project exceeds the trial version's limits..." I'm assuming it's because of the groups (which should be included in trial versions as it is great for organizing a game eaven if you're limited to 100 events) Other than that the game worked and tested out ok.

I havn't been able to try it on my mobile yet... it keeps saying I need a newer version of chrome... there's no updates I can make so I'm guessing its just being picky.

I still have to give it a try on my linux comp. I'll see how that goes. I'd love to just open up a project whenever/wherever my ideas are flowing or whenever I have a break rather than wait to get home or carry a usb dongle around. The google drive/other clouds integration is golden for me.

• Well I was and remain sceptical about this browser based editor (still don't see the point of C3 so far) but at least the new demo games from Tokinsom and 7soul are top-notch quality.

• I am new here, and shopping around for a new game maker (I come from Ren'Py and Visionaire) to try my hand at an action game which I would like to create which are very different than visual novels and adventure games I use to make, so I need a different tool.

I played around for an hour with the C3 alpha, and I did not like it very much. I had to install Chrome (which I hate), and C3 felt a bit "childish" to me? Is that the right word? Many things are hidden. When I opened the behaviours, it just diplayed an empty window, and no option to add a behaviour. I closed it, and tried it again, still empty. After 5 minutes I noticed the only way to insert a new behaviour is to click with the right mouse?

Can't see myself working in a browser-based game creator to build larger games either.

I checked the C3 site, and support for Chromebooks is touted - I think C3 is aimed at that market (children).

Perhaps I am wrong? It is just my impression so far.

• I have to wonder why would Scirra tease us for months with so many new features and then release a beta where almost all of these new features are locked. I understand that Scirra wants to test and fix all the basic features first, but why even start teasing with the new features so early when in reality they are months away?

I tested out everything I could think of with the available features. I made a few test games and tested out cloud saving support. Everything worked well for me and I didn't encounter any problems. The editor itself looks and feels almost identical to C2 editor and I really like it.

Having to right-click is a big issue for me as well. While it seems like it should be simple, I'm so used to using shortcuts that I hardly ever touch the mouse in C2. Having to do so just slows things down. Take into accout that OSX requires a two-key combo to right click and it becomes an even bigger workflow roadblock. There seems to be a number of features that take more clicks than they should right now, and from the outside it looks like those exist to work around issues with having a browser-based IDE. Not a great sign, tbh. As for the features, yeah...don't sell me a bill of goods and then not provide the goods.

What's been released as the C3 "beta" is very obviously an alpha. And that's fine, but mislabeling it (not to mention putting such a hard limit on accessible features) means that, even for just messing about with it, it's not entirely worth the effort right now. Hopefully we see an actual beta in the near future, prior to the release of the commercial version. Right now it feels very...meh. I'm not excited by C2 in a browser in the slightest, especially since right now it seems to be more an inconvenience than an upgrade. I guess we'll see what happens!

• I played around for an hour with the C3 alpha, and I did not like it very much. I had to install Chrome (which I hate), and C3 felt a bit "childish" to me? Is that the right word?

I had recently referred to Construct as "kiddy" to my partner in game development. I think it's intended for a younger audience who can't/won't learn a programming language, so it comes off as a kid-friendly alternative, although adults benefit from it as well. It's a nice piece of tech for the right audience.

• > What's been released as the C3 "beta" is very obviously an alpha. And that's fine, but mislabeling it (not to mention putting such a hard limit on accessible features) means that, even for just messing about with it, it's not entirely worth the effort right now. Hopefully we see an actual beta in the near future, prior to the release of the commercial version. Right now it feels very...meh. I'm not excited by C2 in a browser in the slightest, especially since right now it seems to be more an inconvenience than an upgrade. I guess we'll see what happens!

>

I mean Alpha/Beta are all fuzzy terms. We did run a private alpha before the beta. We're happy to call it a beta. Expect rapid improvements.

• >

> > What's been released as the C3 "beta" is very obviously an alpha. And that's fine, but mislabeling it (not to mention putting such a hard limit on accessible features) means that, even for just messing about with it, it's not entirely worth the effort right now. Hopefully we see an actual beta in the near future, prior to the release of the commercial version. Right now it feels very...meh. I'm not excited by C2 in a browser in the slightest, especially since right now it seems to be more an inconvenience than an upgrade. I guess we'll see what happens!

> >

>

I mean Alpha/Beta are all fuzzy terms. We did run a private alpha before the beta. We're happy to call it a beta. Expect rapid improvements.

They didn't used to be fuzzy terms . Beta used to mean feature-complete with some bugs, and it doesn't feel feature-complete right now. I think the biggest issue with what's publicly available for C3 is how locked-down it feels, even compared to the free edition of C2. Some of the usability seems a step down from C2 as well. I'm sure it will improve over time. Right now it's a bit underwhelming to say the least, though I'll admit part of that is because of the lack of third-party plugin support (currently) that adds features that I've found to be absolutely necessary to make Construct a complete and functional development tool (raytrace, canvas access, some filetype import options, etc).

• What features are missing? I get that you can't use them because it's locked to free edition right now, but they are going to be ready for testing in the last week. We're confident at the end of the beta everything will be working great and we'll be comfortable to start selling it.

• What features are missing? I get that you can't use them because it's locked to free edition right now, but they are going to be ready for testing in the last week. We're confident at the end of the beta everything will be working great and we'll be comfortable to start selling it.

Cool. I'll try it again when they're available .

EDIT: Maybe...those features will take longer than a week to test? Just a thought...

• > I played around for an hour with the C3 alpha, and I did not like it very much. I had to install Chrome (which I hate), and C3 felt a bit "childish" to me? Is that the right word?

>

I had recently referred to Construct as "kiddy" to my partner in game development. I think it's intended for a younger audience who can't/won't learn a programming language, so it comes off as a kid-friendly alternative, although adults benefit from it as well. It's a nice piece of tech for the right audience.

C3 definitely feels like it's aimed at children.

---

My first impressions:

• It's not a professional tool. It feels and looks like a browser app.
    • The free version is too limiting. You can't get a feel for using the software. It's like they want to punish people who use the free version. Why? Those people are free advertisement.
    • I dislike the colored tabs at the top. They don't fit in with the overall design and look very childish.
    • The behavior window is confusing. What's the add button?
    • C3 chrome exclusive, but Chrome support for the Mac is lacking. I can't even use web app version of C3 for Mac.
    • Too many work arounds for Mac users to use C3 because of Chrome. I'm ok trying to figure out work arounds to make my games do what I want, but I don't want to have to find a work around just to use the software. Chrome is a bad idea. If Safari is too limiting too, then let's meet half way with Firefox.
    • There is an insane amount of bugs for a beta. How could they have missed all these bugs? And we are using a limited version where most of the best features are locked. How can we test for those bugs?
    • I don't see a way to test my games with multiple browsers. Chrome only games is unreasonable to me, and I don't want to have to work backwards to figure out why my game doesn't work the same way on different browsers.
    • Too many pop up warnings. Every time I test a game, I get a warning and have to push the "try again" button to make it work. Why can't it just work the first time I try it? Is it the browser settings? I don't want to spend a lot of time customizing my browser just get an app to work.

I feel like I'm ranting, but I can't help but express my disappointment. C2 is such a better product. I hope they keep their word and continue maintaining it. I plan to use that for the foreseeable future.

• I really would like this thread to be for users that have tried C3 and not a place for Scirra to defend their product but to be open and listen to what people are saying.

If Scirra comes on defending and making excuses they are not really listening to what people are saying and users will just stop posting out of fear that Scirra will confront them for saying something negative.

This is very usefull feedback that Scirra should be listening to and absorbing to make their product better for the next release.

• We are listening and absorbing. We're fixing bugs, that's what a lot of the complaints are about right now.

UI is a work in progress, and Paulo hasn't had a chance to go over it yet.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The behavior window is confusing. What's the add button?

I agree and made a report about it yesterday. I saw earlier where Ashley said he was going to update it. I just wonder whether it was a design choice or an oversight. I mean, what did they think people would do when they clicked the Behaviors link and saw a blank pop-up box? Automatically know to double-click or right-click the space to add a behavior? I usually call this app a kid-friendly engine, but that's not good interface design for anyone.

• Lets just not bash the developers away from the development of construct engine

instead providing feedback and replies should be more then enough all are futures depend on it in some way if we are to use construct

and the developers too but their making it instead : ) .

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)