I have tried to test the first beta on my IMac. Just skimming through the UI and loading/running examples. Based on this and the info we got during the blog updates, these are my thoughts...
1) I had concerns about Chrome compatibility and for sure, my personal concerns were valid for myself. I needed to upgrade my chrome version to run it. After that it ran, but then, this update might have broken a different web tool. Will see. Makes me feel uneasy.
2) My Imac is not WebGL2 compatible. Even recent Macbooks pro aren't. I forsee a lot of problems comming from that and juding this by the past, I know already the reaction we will get.
3) On My IMac which runs OSX 10.11.x it lags sometimes. You can see that Chrome hogs the system fully. Definitely doesn't feel as fluid as a native app.
4) Some examples wouldn't run, so this version was deliberately shipped with incompatible samples. This feels more like an early alpha than anything.
5) I dislike the change in the pricing model. Definitely a technology change which brought Scirra in a better position regarding chross platform development but C3 is just that. There is no added value imho. Also the pricing models treats developers from different countries unfairly as for the same usage, some have to get the business subscription where others can use the personal one. And judging from the my past experiences of using subscriptions, they went up/up/up in price over the time.
6) The announced free version with its 40/50 event limit will be barely a demo imho.
7) I LOVED that C2 was portable. Put it on a Stick and run it basically everywhere. Not possible with C3 so far. My job flags its website as a gaming site and so it isn't reachable. I wonder if schools will have similar problems with their closed network systems. Maybe Scirra will have created a bigger problem for themself here if they target the education sector.
For me, these are to many issues which I don't wanna deal with. I want to use a software, not fiddle with the system it runs on. It simply has to work. If it doesn't run easily on OSX, it shouldn't be there. Also I want to be treated equally as a customer, which I won't be. I don't see why I should pay more for the same usage. Adding to this my previous negative experience with subscription models, I will pass C3.
Anyway thanks for Scirra to let me have a look. Good luck.