So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • So far, I tried a Construct 2 project and despite exceding the (annoyingly short) event limit it worked. But then I stumbled into this, so it is unplayable right now. I hope they address it soon, i guess something like that should be trivial to fix, but it breaks backwards compatibility for me and I need it for a big project Im doing for the scirra store, so obviously I really want it to work on Construct 3!

• Not able to test on iphone/Ipad. Do not own any other mobile devices than those.

Had to install Chrome to run it on desktop windows.

Ok, nothing new we knew it all on beforehand.

Of course everyone are different! But I am still feeling nope to the new C3. I can't get beyond the browser-ness of it. Even if I have turned it into "app" on shortcut. But then I am quite "aspie" about this, I want the software to look like Windows software with my set colors and fonts in system. Anything that deviate from that I feel I have to readjust to and it is a long uphill phase for me.

And while C2's borders ribbons etc are wider I feel the newer is fatter still. It is the fonts and missing small things. The font is larger in properties trees etc making it looks antialiased and fuzzy. Same thing with the event sheet text, fuzzy text there. In C2 I have set it to Tahoma, 10 which is crisp and nice.

Also missing my own settings of C2 etc. Pressing ctrl+f4 to close project, whoops whole browser bye bye!

I think it can get used to, maybe, eventually. But I haven't been really inspired to do anything. opening ongoing projects from C2 = millions of missing stuff (mostly often LiteTween but also Rex's stuff, and some effects such as Scroll etc) so being unable to even test them.

The other projects are just testers and mostly working.

First time I tried to run the kiwi game it crashed C3.

I installed fresh Chrome same day and hasn't added anything to it, but still it whined about pop-up. Gamepad not working.

As the new features hasn't been added yet and waiting for the effects/plugins/behav. I think I will stick to C2 for the while and wait until more features and addons to better test things.

What I like:

Start page is better with nicer overview of templates/demos/examples.

My humble opinion from first day and 4 starts.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • My first impressions are pretty bad. Construct 2.1, at best. Calling it Construct 2.5 is being too generous.

It's literally the exact same program ported to the browser, with more limitations.

I think a more accurate name is Construct 2, Chrome edition, but it'd probably be harder to cash in on us with that title.

• Too limiting to be useful right now. It looks OK and I would have some use for a browser based app, so I could develop easily on any PC, laptop, tablet, etc. I will have to wait for the full featured version to give some real feedback.

• crashes , fails to start.

Reported the error and the log

• My first impression is pretty good. Easy to make my way around and find what I want. Too bad there's no way to add plugins and effects from C2 yet, I can't test any of my stuff without that.

• It's working for me now so...

2nd first impression(if that makes any sense):

Looks great. Feels smoother than C2.

I however am not a fan of having the game "Pop Lab" in the front page. It encourages people to create more Match-3 games like we need more of those.

I'm just glad it's just a demo and not a template otherwise we'd go from having 100 thousand of those currently in the playstore to 100 million.

• it's a cool browser version of C2...

so far so good..

but yeah not really a '3'

UE3 to UE4, those were major upgrades. It really should be C2web (not an easy feat to put on the web but still, functionally C2)

• Yeah it's a C2web

Not a fan of browser based apps..

I mean you need to always download a project

Uploading an assets

Having a good connection, etc

For a "constructing" software that need many local assets to be modified often, it shouldn't be a web based

the good things are well, C3 are the first comprehensive 2D game creator online.. but the other engine just won't do that

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I gathered from the blogs n such that once c3 is loaded then an Internet connection is no longer needed at all to be able to use it. If that's true, then once c3 is loaded you should be able to disconnect from the Internet and keep using it no problem. The only thing that wouldn't work is saving to or loading from Dropbox or the other online file hosting services.

Actually, I'm curious to try something now. What if you closed the chrome browser with c3, disconnected from the Internet and re-opened the browser and tried to load the c3 website? I seem to recall Ashley talking about offline cache in his blogs... I'll have to try that tomorrow.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I gathered from the blogs n such that once c3 is loaded then an Internet connection is no longer needed at all to be able to use it. If that's true, then once c3 is loaded you should be able to disconnect from the Internet and keep using it no problem. The only thing that wouldn't work is saving to or loading from Dropbox or the other online file hosting services.

Actually, I'm curious to try something now. What if you closed the chrome browser with c3, disconnected from the Internet and re-opened the browser and tried to load the c3 website? I seem to recall Ashley talking about offline cache in his blogs... I'll have to try that tomorrow.

I just tried it and opened the editor and demo game and then turned off my internet and the game works but editor threw an error and crashed.

That may be possible in the desktop version but apparently not in the online version.

• No way to cancel a game once you start to open it or run it.

That is something that should be changed and if a game is taking too long to load you need to be able to cancel it.

I will bring that to Ashley's attention.

• Looks pretty good, feels pretty good. But with such limitations what's the incentive to actually make anything to test out? I pretty much opened it up and said yep, this is C2 with a couple of nice useabilty tweaks that should have been in C2 from the start and a whole bunch of limitations. I'll give it another look later on. Expectations were already drastically lowered for this.

• Error Javascript Line 0.... already disabled my adblock and tampermonkey

Well if I have to play witch hunt with my Chrome extensions then I'd rather wait for Desktop version.... I knew this browser based apps is not gonna work.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)