c3 keeps asking me to update even though I've already updated

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • why does C3 keep asking me to update every single time I load the editor? It doesn't understand I'm on the latest version of the beta, so it asks me every time.

and now that I've saved all the projects I'm working on I can't go back to the stable release because it won't let me open those projects.

how do I get it to stop asking me to update?

• Usually this means you bookmarked or installed a specific version which is now out of date. Make sure you bookmark or install editor.construct.net since that auto-updates; anything with a version in the URL is fixed to that version only.

• and now that I've saved all the projects I'm working on I can't go back to the stable release because it won't let me open those projects.

Unless you did things not possible in the old version, you can manually edit the project to be opened again. I actually went ahead and tried the new tutorial feature for that :P.

construct.net/en/tutorials/open-project-saved-newer-2203

• Ashley I don't bookmark it.. I always just start typing "editor" in the address bar and it refills the rest to:

editor.construct.net

and every single time it asks me to update to the beta. It didn't do this when I was on the stable version.

This happens at home (PC chrome) and at the school where I teach it (Mac chrome).

• Well, if you've opted in to beta updates, then the latest stable release will prompt you about newer beta releases. If you don't want that, opt out of beta update notifications.

• I mean there is editor.construct.net/beta

I think it always redirects to the latest beta. Sadly if you install a beta release the release will be locked (like editor.construct.net/r145) and you have to reinstall it if you don't want to update it again every time. Why doesn't it install the /beta link?

• Ashley

Well, if you've opted in to beta updates, then the latest stable release will prompt you about newer beta releases. If you don't want that, opt out of beta update notifications.

How do you run Beta version without having to update every use?

to be clear.. this is what is happening:

step 1: open Chrome

step 2: type in 'editor', auto completes to editor.construct.net

step 3: I get this message

step 4: I click update

step 5: use C3

step 6: done with C3 for the day, close browser

repeat.

I get step 3 every single time I repeat this process. So if I use C3 5 times in one day, I have to click Update 5 times in one day. It's like it's not actually updating.. it's not a new version.. it's the same beta version but it keeps asking me to update to it. Why does it think I'm still on r142?

• Yes, that's what I said it probably is. You're loading the latest stable release, with prompts about beta updates enabled. So every time you load the stable release it tells you there's a newer beta release. It's working correctly according to your settings.

• i have the same thing happening for a long time and its confusing and i really thought it was some bug in the update process, if you opt in for beta releases, it should replace or update your active version with the latest (beta-release), so next time you launch it doesn't ask again

i have mine installed as an app on chrome

• this is incredibly confusing...

editor.construct.net - loads the latest stable (regardless of the one you have installed)

editor.construct.net/beta - loads the latest beta (regardless of the one you have installed)

what link loads the version I already am working with? that I already have downloaded??

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Perhaps a notifications alert would be better than a modal popup?

• Yea, it's confusing me. I'm running the beta so I don't have to screw with functions when that goes live. When I run the app from the desktop it keeps asking to update and I keep telling it to update. It apparently doesn't. So, I did something stupid. I told it to install the new version as an an app at which point I had 2 desktop icons. I then ran the old version and told it to uninstall.

It uninstalled both.

So now, if I go back to editor.construct.net it's telling me I have r142.2 installed and it wants to upgrade to 145. If I do the upgrade, I can't install as an app. But, if I run the r142.2, I can install as an app.

So, I reinstalled r142.2 as an app and now, it's back to asking me to update every time I run it.

*boggle*

• this is incredibly confusing...

editor.construct.net - loads the latest stable (regardless of the one you have installed)

editor.construct.net/beta - loads the latest beta (regardless of the one you have installed)

what link loads the version I already am working with? that I already have downloaded??

you can pass the version as the url segment

editor.construct.net/r132 and it should load that version, the thing is you will always get that popup to update to latest version. stable or beta if you go back far enough, maybe there should be a setting to suppress those notifications, if you want to keep working on the same version and you naviagte using to the exact version.

• Ashley okay maybe what I am missing is that nothing is in fact downloaded into my browser's cache?

that the website doesn't check which version I used last? I assumed it did.

if it did, I would want it to load that one and only prompt me if there was a newer one avail.

is this possible?

I feel like the miscommunication is the prompt to hit the UPDATE button. The word "UPDATE" suggests that it is changing your system, or it is remembering which one you are on.

• Ashley okay maybe what I am missing is that nothing is in fact downloaded into my browser's cache?

that the website doesn't check which version I used last? I assumed it did.

if it did, I would want it to load that one and only prompt me if there was a newer one avail.

is this possible?

I think the versions are cached in your browser, if you open up chrome dev tools and look at the application cache you can see all the version you ever opened there

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)