c3 keeps asking me to update even though I've already updated

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • piranha305 right but I need a quick link or to be able to type something quick to go to the site. I don't want to dig through some list to open the app.

I know I can remember the version I was on and type it all out. but that's annoying, I shouldn't have to remember the version number.

I use c3 sometimes 10 or even more times in a given day... I had no idea this was going to be such a huge thread haha.. I just want to use the beta version of the damn app and not get a popup every time!

I will probably start going to editor.construct.net/beta (but it still creates a problem of not realizing I'm going to a newer version)

• If it automatically navigated you away, you couldn't intentionally switch from a beta release to a stable release. So it only prompts you to give you the opportunity to stay on the stable release.

In short:

editor.construct.net = latest stable

editor.construct.net/beta = latest beta

editor.construct.net/rXYZ = specific version

• Ashley

Today I went to editor.construct.net/beta and got this:

So it does know what version I was using previously. Why can't it prompt me?

USE NEWER VERSION or CONTINUE USING CURRENT?

the point is, I want to know if there is an update, but I'd rather be able to choose whether to use it or not from what I was previously using. Yes I can edit the link manually, but shouldn't the software help make things easier?

how about: editor.construct.net/myconstruct

• That prompt appears because it's the first time you're using that version so you might want to check the release notes. So it prompts to ask: do you want to view the release notes? I see that to a different case to a "new version is available" prompt.

So it does know what version I was using previously. Why can't it prompt me?

I'm confused what you expect it to prompt you? Previously you were visiting editor.construct.net, and it did prompt you to tell you there was a new beta version available, because you'd chosen that in your settings. It offered options to keep using that version, or switch to the newer version, just like you suggest. When do you think it should prompt you instead and what would it say?

• Ashley right, but I didn't realize I was going to the latest stable version. I thought editor.construct.net was just the generic site and it loaded the last one you used. So I was constantly confused when my "update" wasn't saving.

What I'm saying I would like a prompt to say:

editor.construct.net

editor.construct.net/beta

• Ashley right, but I didn't realize I was going to the latest stable version. I thought editor.construct.net was just the generic site and it loaded the last one you used.

No, that URL loads the latest stable release. I think that's the source of the confusion? If you understand that, do the prompts make sense?

• Ashley I understand what is happening now. but I'm now suggesting it be improved upon.

What is the point of the website remembering what version the user is on? since you give them no choice. Other than to say that there are release notes, I don't see a reason.

If there was a person that wanted to stay on r142. They would nav to editor.construct.net, get a message that the new version is release 142.3, then they would need to go to the address bar and type out editor.construct.net/r142 - then remember to go to that address every time they use C3.

from a UX standpoint, that is not very good design. It's just clunky and non-intuitive. An improvement would be to send the person to the correct link based on their desire to "update" or not.

That's just my advice, take it or leave it.. it's up to you.

• What is the point of the website remembering what version the user is on?

So it can give you a more useful message. If you were on r130, and then you reload C3 for the first time in a while, it can say something like "you were on r130, and you got updated to r146". Now you know to check all the intervening release notes, if you want to stay up to date with all changes since then.

If there was a person that wanted to stay on r142. They would nav to editor.construct.net, get a message that the new version is release 142.3, then they would need to go to the address bar and type out editor.construct.net/r142 - then remember to go to that address every time they use C3.

The approach is based on the principle that most users will simply want to use the latest stable release, so it's geared towards that. The typical user will just type in/visit editor.construct.net, and if you do that, you're always using the latest stable release, which seems like a sensible default.

It's also our goal to make sure there's never a good reason to stick with old versions. Every update fixes a lot of bugs and we strive to maintain excellent backwards-compatibility. For the typical user, not being updated causes more problems than it solves - they typically end up running in to bugs we've already fixed (and sometimes reporting them, where all we can do is point out that we already fixed it, and they are causing problems for themselves by staying on old versions). So staying up-to-date is an important part of the UX, so people always get the best-quality software currently available. I think if we give everyone an opt-out of updates, rather than applying them automatically, it will result in a worse UX as a greater number of users run in to problems that have already been fixed. Modern software like Chrome adopts a similar approach of silent auto-updates for the same reason.

Of course software development isn't perfect, so sometimes people want to roll back - and you can do so simply by typing in the version number in the URL.

I think you've misunderstood how the URLs work, and presumably as a beta user you have more interest in rolling back versions occasionally. This is straightforward, since you can just type the version in the URL. If you visit editor.construct.net you're getting the stability-focused general consumer version. I am pretty confident that is the right approach for the majority of our users. If you opt in to beta releases I think you just need a little awareness of what the URLs mean, and then you can switch between versions at will.

• Ashley honestly, how it all started was I saw the new Timeline feature. And since all of my students are animators that are learning Construct I figured I could show it to them, but it was in beta. So I went into the Settings and changed it to opt-in to the beta builds. I then restarted construct and it popped up the message to update. I clicked "Update" and all was good.

Later in class without realizing I was in beta, I saved changes to their projects. After I realized my error I told the class to start using beta so they could open the projects.

Then every time we went to use construct it kept telling us to update, so it seemed "broken". But we had no idea editor.construct.net only brought you to the latest stable version.

Fair point about gearing it towards wanting all users to be up to date.

It's all good...thanks...

• My situation was similar. Relying heavily on functions and just getting started in development I switched to the beta branch in an effort to not have to rewrite functions later. What I expected was that when a new version came out and it asked to update, that it would update the app and keep it. Instead the app seems to be keeping the version installed when I initially switched to beta so that now, every time I start the app, it asks to update.

• Fengist - that sounds like the same case as discussed here. Presumably you're visiting editor.construct.net?

It would be useful to remember: beta releases are never served from editor.construct.net - that only serves the latest stable release (which is what the typical user will want). If you want to be using a beta release you must have the release number in the URL, e.g. editor.construct.net/r146.

• Fengist yeah that was my mistake. Construct never "updates" anything except for remembering which one you used last. It only remembers which one you were/are on to either A) show you release notes if you haven't used it yet or B) tell you there's a newer version.

Nothing gets 'installed' in your cache. The update button is very misleading since we are so used to Windows Update and things of that sort.

if you want to use a particular version you need to go to editor.construct.net/rVersionNumber

• i think my initial problem was this

if you go to a construct.net stable or beta , it automatically sends you to the url of a certain version, at that point you install or bookmark, then it locks you with the url of that version, this means you're always coming off an old version

the only way is to uninstall or make a new bookmark for the updated version

so the best way to have the latest beta version would be to edit the bookmark to go directly to

editor.construct.net/beta

i dont really see how you do this if you installed as an app... other then reinstalling

either way, i now installed the beta for desktop, so i can set my wacom pen preferences for construct different then my browser

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • vtrix interesting, I never even thought to use bookmarks. I'm less of a mouse user and more a keyboard user. I guess that's why I don't use bookmarks much. I like just typing the address and tabbing the auto-complete. The problem is I need to remember which version number I was on. Address bar history will show all the versions I went to before so then I need to type more out or use the mouse. I guess for me it's all about speed.. when you use something every day and for many hours the little things like that come to annoy you.

my current solution (even though it goes against everything I've learned about dev) is to just always use the current release and just hope nothing breaks!

• FYI this is how the URLs work:

editor.construct.net - latest stable release

editor.construct.net/beta - latest beta release (redirect)

editor.construct.net/r123 - specific version

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)