WackyToaster's Forum Posts

  • Pls don't slopify Construct. AI already works with Construct if you really want and I don't want Ashleys thinly spread resources spread even more thin. And if we're speaking of "where the industry is headed" I'd really prefer to go in the exact opposite direction, considering that industry has been circling the drain pumping out some absolute slop for quite a while. And they did that even before AI was a thing, we need less slop, not more.

  • Duskbloods upcoming Switch 2 game, the player transforms into a dinosaur, the model gets faded in using dithered opacity.

    Yeah last time I checked a lot of modern games handle semi-transparency with dithering because dealing with transparency + shaders is such a nightmare they just kinda gave up.

  • Also when you export, tick 'Deduplicate images' and it will combine identical images, which should ensure only one copy is loaded in to memory.

    I'm actually curious how this works and what exactly it means? How identical do the images need to be? If I have e.g. two sprites with the same image, but one is cropped slightly different, does that matter? I'm assuming it's using some kind of hashing, is there a threshhold where an image that's actually different by a few pixels still gets deduplicated?

  • I was messing around with a way to adjust the fluid levels so that the amount of fluid is the same no matter the test tube angle or even no matter the shape. For example, all four of these containers have the same amount of fluid.

    Pretty cool though I think the simplest approach would be a shader. You just need a sprite inside your flask with the shape of the flask. Then the shader could easily handle applying several colors at a defined percentage (e.g. 20% red, 20% green, 60% transparent) at a static angle to the sprite. A few simple calculations can handle the fill height and some tweens can empty a color out by tweening the shader.

  • I suppose my first question would be if it is actually crucial that it works.

    Anyway, 60 times a second is relatively low so the cursor can move quite a big distance within a single frame and as such will skip over multiple boards. Since you know the cursors current position, and can store the cursors last position, you get a line that should cover the movement. Then instead of simply checking for overlap, the easiest would be to put a helper sprite at the last position, rotate it towards the current position, set the length to the distance between the positions, then check for overlap of that helper sprite.

    wackytoaster.at/parachute/mouse_hover_roll.c3p

    Framerate mode is set to fixed at 30 in that example to emulate a low framerate (and I left the helper sprite visible) Like this it will trigger the hover effect of all boards that were crossed in that frame.

    EDIT: R0J0 beat me lol

  • I recently stumbled on this tool.

    selimanac.github.io/physics-body-editor

    And it also has an option to "guess polygon shape" based on an input image. Except the result... it's just infinitely better.

    There's even some sliders to adjust sensitivity and alpha threshhold. I know Construct has kind of a soft limit of 16 points and it keeps (annoyingly) yelling at me when I add more but sometimes you just need more. Is that limit still relevant in modern times and supposing I don't do collision checks on thousands of instances?

    Either way, it's clearly possible to improve the results massively.

    EDIT: Sometimes I also do get really weirdly bad results.

  • Try Construct 3

    Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

    Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I love Chu Chu Rocket!

    Anyway, yeah I would absolutely not use bullet behavior for that. The tile-movement behavior is probably best suited for that style of movement.

    construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/behavior-reference/tile-movement

    It has a couple of conditions which should allow you to check for walls, and if a wall is hit turn right/left.

  • It's possible that whatever happened is just a minor corruption and can be manually recovered. You can try emailing construct support.

    Also a reminder to use backups and/or version control.

    If you saved the file to google drive, you might be able to get an older version from there from before it was corrupted. It's something like right click -> file information -> manage versions

  • At least there should be a restriction for new accounts to not be able to post a billion threads per second. One spam post is whatever, but this... is on a different level.

  • There was more retention. But Crazy has become popular among developers over the past year and our games are very quickly leaving the first page of new releases, and if you haven't been in the popular ones during this time, your traffic is running out.

    Ah yeah that makes sense.

    But let's stop this, because this thread is not for that.

    A little bit of off-topic keeps the forum juices flowing. But you're right, let me rectify this by posting screenshots.

  • Yes, I also tested this game on Poki, but the results were better on the Crazy, so it came out on the Crazy.

    Oh? I'm curious, what metrics were better? Just average playtime? I put two games on Crazygames but both kinda faded away really quickly, but they did have much better average playtimes than on poki though.

    The soft body in the middle is several sensor points that are connected to each other. And the jelly picture itself is worn on top of this and only reflects the state of these sensors.

    Ah, I see. Thx.

  • I wish I had any kind of clue what I'm doing. But I did manage to cobble together the shader I had in mind. Insanely awesome tool, but quite overwhelming too, there's like a billion options.

  • igortyhon Wait... you made this? I'm pretty sure I played this on poki not too long ago.

    I'm curious how you made the softbody physics.

  • Press F12 and check if there's any error messages in the console.

    I hope you have a backup in case it got corrupted.

    You can also try opening it in an older version like editor.construct.net/r496 which is just one version earlier.

  • I think most missing things are usually an oversight that a quick feature request could probably remedy.

    I love Construct but feature requests have historically been excruciatingly slow, even for small requests like this. (Not blaming here, just an observation)