Recording gameplay issue (NWjs, youtubers)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
11 fun gameplay beats created with vintage synth sounds
  • > The probable issue is that Chrome uses multiple instances, so screen recorders don't know which one to record.

> A work around might be to make it just use one.

> Or get the fine screen recorders to change their software.

>

Yeah that seems to be the solution so adding --single-process chromium option should do the trick, but I failed to do so. Would be great if Ashley could try it. I'm not that experienced in manual NWjs setup so I probably messed some detail there.

People have been talking about "--single-process" but using "--in-process-gpu" has always worked for me, even with the Steam overlay problem. I've heard it doesn't work properly with Nvidia gpus but I've always tested on them and it always works..

• I can confirm that. My game uses "--in-process-gpu" and I can capture gameplay with every screen capture software I have tried. And I have never heard any issues by youtubers either. Also Steam overlay works just fine as well with that arg for most drivers.

• I can confirm that. My game uses "--in-process-gpu" and I can capture gameplay with every screen capture software I have tried. And I have never heard any issues by youtubers either. Also Steam overlay works just fine as well with that arg for most drivers.

Do you simply edit "package.json" in exported package.nw to add "--in-process-gpu"?

• I have added that to the nw.js template file so it always exports it by default but yes you can also add it in there manually in the package.json after export as the last arg as they have an order to follow.

• I have added that to the nw.js template file so it always exports it by default but yes you can also add it in there manually in the package.json after export as the last arg as they have an order to follow.

Ah it's unders "Construct 2\exporters\html5\nwjs". I was searching for this template in NWjs directory instead of C2 dir and couldn't find it earlier. I will give it another try. Thank you very much!

• Alright. I tried with --single-process and the game won't even run.

[1028/200737:ERROR:process_reader_win.cc(233)] ReadMemory at 0x8ffff89 of 512 bytes failed: Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed. (0x12B)
    [1028/200737:ERROR:crash_report_exception_handler.cc(98)] WriteEverything failed
    [/code:1ld78qn0]

I tried with [i]--in-process-gpu[/i] as well and it looks like screen recorder sees the game straight away, but there's a long screen freez (like 10s) after I start recording. I tried it several times and sometimes it records correctly and sometimes it records frozen screen, even though it was unfrozen already while recording. So it is clearly related but does not solve the issue entirely.

Note that I am using nVidia GPU so that might be the case as well.

Will keep on testing. Thanks again for your help.
  • I'm starting to despise using nw.js and chrome.. makes other engines with native export look more appealing everyday.

I hope things get better soon.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • People have been talking about "--single-process" but using "--in-process-gpu" has always worked for me, even with the Steam overlay problem. I've heard it doesn't work properly with Nvidia gpus but I've always tested on them and it always works..

I've been using --in-process-gpu since forever. It does not solve the Steam overlay problem. It helps it, on some systems. On mine, AMD GPUs, it works fine. On others with NV GPUs, it does not work. I've had many reports of this from players already so i know it's not fixed.

And it's actually related to NWjs spawning multiple nw.exe processes. For my system it's normally 3x nw.exe, for others, up to 5x.. and the Valve people that I and others have talked to about this, have said the Overlay injection (like on-screen-displays of MSI Afterburner etc) code doesn't do it correctly because it does not KNOW which nw.exe is the correct/game to inject.

This is also the same for some capture software, they do not know which is the game exe to monitor. However, OBS works 100% because you can select window capture and find the specific one, it's much more flexible.

This in the past can be fixed by using --single-process to force only one nw.exe on launch. But lately this is no longer functional, leading to crashes.

The NWjs team IS AWARE of this, as it was reported on their Github a week ago. Let's hope they fix it soon.

ps. There is no point getting aggro at Scirra. We all know C2 depends on 3rd party export options and that's an added complexity that can lead to issues. The issue gets fixed ASAP when we report it to these 3rd party options ASAP.

• thanks for breaking it all down, - makes things less confusing, and also more hopeful that it'll be sorted out.

Are there any downsides for a single process?

• I just installed C2 r239 and NWjs 0.18.1, added the "--single-process" to the argument list in the package.json file, and I still can't see my game in OBS, neither in game-mode or window-mode, am I missing something else?

• I just installed C2 r239 and NWjs 0.18.1, added the "--single-process" to the argument list in the package.json file, and I still can't see my game in OBS, neither in game-mode or window-mode, am I missing something else?

Do it for the package-win.json... and it'll crash. Because --single-process is currently broken for 0.18.1 to 0.18.3...

• > I just installed C2 r239 and NWjs 0.18.1, added the "--single-process" to the argument list in the package.json file, and I still can't see my game in OBS, neither in game-mode or window-mode, am I missing something else?

>

Do it for the package-win.json... and it'll crash. Because --single-process is currently broken for 0.18.1 to 0.18.3...

Sorry I meant the "--in-process-gpu" arg.

• Alright. I tried with --single-process and the game won't even run.

It's a known bug, I've already reported it and they've confirmed a fix in some of the future NWjs updates (probably v0.19.0)

I hope all of our worries about weird glitches using Steam + NWjs will be fixed, once we can make use of the single processing function.

As always, we have to be a little patient and everything will be fine.

EDIT: Sorry I missed that Silverforce already told you that, whoops.

• We ought to have this thread stickied (at least until the worst 0.18.x f**kups are fixed)

• So a solution was found or still working on one?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)