Recording gameplay issue (NWjs, youtubers)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
11 fun gameplay beats created with vintage synth sounds
  • I understand that this isn't Scirras fault, but I'm basically not releasing my game Brute until the issue is fixed as I don't want players / Youtubers to be unable to easily capture footage of it. Effectively missing my desired release window of late 2016.

ugh.

• I have reported this issue to Action Mirillis (https://mirillis.com/en/) and FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/) for now. We'll see if they'll take care of it or not. If those two will ignore it, then there's no point in reporting the issue to others I guess. I'll keep you updated.

AFAIK there's no NW.js version which works well with all screen recorders.

Any way I can back you up on those reports? Should I just file a similar issue? This issue affects me enough to the point where I'm going to make my voice heard and be a pain about it.

• > I have reported this issue to Action Mirillis (https://mirillis.com/en/) and FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/) for now. We'll see if they'll take care of it or not. If those two will ignore it, then there's no point in reporting the issue to others I guess. I'll keep you updated.

>

>

Any way I can back you up on those reports? Should I just file a similar issue? This issue affects me enough to the point where I'm going to make my voice heard and be a pain about it.

I explained them that it is not only my issue but a C2 community issue and that I can encourage the community to make more reports if it's needed. So I don't think more requests are needed for now. But I think those companies don't really care. I mean those recording programs are there for years now and they are selling well, so they might just don't care or simply think that it's a C2 issue. It would be a different case if it was just one screen recorder which can't record C2 games, but the problem is that most of them can't record C2 games.

Anyway FRAPS did not reply anything yet. Action Mirillis replied that they will try to reproduce the issue. I am a premium user of Action Mirillis so they kinda had to reply something.

To be honest I am not very optimistic in this case. Even if we manage to "force" few recorders to change something in their screen detection, I highly doubt we can force them all, and after all there are new screen recorders coming out frequently so we would have to keep on asking them to make such "fix" on and on.

But I hope this issue is related to the screen flickering issue. When I try to record C2 app, then sometimes (randomly):

• it doesn't detect the app at all like here:
      Subscribe to Construct videos now
    • it kinda detects it while the flickering occurs, but then it turns the screen black like here:

The flickering issue has already been reported to NW.js (https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/5477). Let's hope they will not ignore it and fixing one issue will fix the second one. By the way I encourage you to upvote this issue on their GitHub, it will probably speed up the fix.

• Just a friendly reminder, self recording can be implemented in as few as 2 events.

It is a reasonable workaround if you take steps to optimise, such as reducing resolution etc.

• How self recording can be useful for a youtuber who just opened your game and want to record a Let's Play video?

• Does anyone tried Electron on this issues?

• Just a friendly reminder, self recording can be implemented in as few as 2 events.

It is a reasonable workaround if you take steps to optimise, such as reducing resolution etc.

> Click Here

VP9 JS error is fixed, framerate issues while recording persist.

This is not the fault of NWjs though, the recording API is at fault and I have no clue how to proceed.

You seem to be quite active and know a lot about this stuff, any tips?

• I haven't gotten webcams to work with the current versions of Chrome, or Nwjs, so I don't know if that can be recorded along side, so that might be a feature request, as well as a bug report.

TheRealDannyyy How does it work non fullscreen?

You kind of have to do that anyway to reduce rez.

• How does it work non fullscreen?

You kind of have to do that anyway to reduce rez.

Same with 720p@30fps, everything below that is 2008 standard and shouldn't be recorded and uploaded to begin with (unless we're talking about older games).

As much as I like this feature, it's currently not a good alternative compared to screen recording software.

EDIT: I'm talking about canvas recording and not self-recording, which isn't the problem in this case anyway (

Recording gameplay issue

).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I just did a vid with it at 1708, 960 of just particles, and it was way above 30 fps.

Granted the ram kept going up, but it was at a slow rate.

Could this be a hardware issue?

• I just did a vid with it at 1708, 960 of just particles, and it was way above 30 fps.

Granted the ram kept going up, but it was at a slow rate.

Could this be a hardware issue?

Not a reliable test, you should use a fairly demanding game with a 16:9 ratio and record in today's standard, which currently is 720pjdv@60fps.

You will notice heavy framedrops in fullscreen mode or slowly but steadily increasing memory usage in maximized windowed mode.

At some point I will try to report this to the NWjs team but I bet that they will redirect me to somewhere else because their browser isn't the only one that crashes while using the canvas recording feature.

Besides that, even if it would fully work as intentional, you'd still have to work around the relative game resolution "issue" that C2 games have.

EDIT: Your uploaded video is in 480p and you can also notice how it stutters, which kinda proves my point about the framerate issues.

• OK, I tried.

There's no work around, and no point in even trying to use some other method to record let alone make games in Construct 2 any more as your Youtube overlords can't be arsed to try something else.

I thought I was hard up, using depression as an excuse for a lack of creativity , but geez, not releasing a game because it can't be recorded beats my pickle.

• OK, I tried.

There's no work around, and no point in even trying to use some other method to record let alone make games in Construct 2 any more as your Youtube overlords can't be arsed to try something else.

I thought I was hard up, using depression as an excuse for a lack of creativity , but geez, not releasing a game because it can't be recorded beats my pickle.

Unfortunately youtubers are the most powerful marketing "tool" we - indie developers - currently have. I do understand your point of view if you are not releasing any PC game currently. Most of devs on this forum don't care about this issue because it's not their problem (yet). Same goes for the screen flickering issue BTW.

But for a person who spent months developing a game which is just about to be released to Steam it's a different story. The point is that you can launch the game only once. And this is the time when you get an overall buzz. The time when youtubers contact you via KeyMailer and similar systems. If you won't use this time the right way, your game gets burried and you can't really do much later on - or at least it is much harder.

I also understand youtubers who simply dump the game which gives any recording problem. They need to have clips published frequently to keep their business and they have a lot of games in queue all the time. Why would they bother trying various tricks if they can simply jump to the next one? Unless it's an anticipated game, they have no reason.

• I'm curious too if there's any frameworks around or games published using Electron that people here know about? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

• OK, I tried.

Sounds like you're still living in the late 90s buddy.

Platforms like Youtube are slowly talking over your conventional TV entertainment, I mean just look at younger audiences for a second.

There are more young people watching entertaining videos or streams than the classic TV shows that we most-likely grew up with.

If you need more legitimate numbers as proof, feel free to use Google or Yahoo if you don't want to roll with the Google "overlords" as well.

BackendFreak pretty much summed up the rest, so I don't feel the need to tell you the same things all over again.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't underestimate the power of those kind of platforms, especially not in 2016+.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)