Recording gameplay issue (NWjs, youtubers)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
11 fun gameplay beats created with vintage synth sounds
  • The defenses used here are equally valid if Construct 2 was a tool using Adobe Flash "Everything is a third party software!"

However, in regards to a screen recording issue, it is a known issue that Chromium and NW.JS create many instances to run a single page (which is hidden by NW.JS as a "native app" through wrapper). This is an issue inherent in the specific choices of HTML5 and its wrapping options based on Chromium.

If Flash was chosen as the basis of Construct 2 would there really be such an accepting response to "But it's not my fault the browsers are all killing Flash!" ???

Native has, is, and will continue to be a standard of all platforms, because you need native to run the emulators/interpreters/browsers/Flash plugins.

The design phrase "Less is more" was never more clear than when I look at the "many options" I have to export my C2 games to and none of them work for my entire customer base on Steam, let alone the other platforms our game was planned to come out for.

So yes, the fact that so many screen recorders don't work with Construct 2 NW.JS exports is an issue that Scirra must be concerned with in some form.

Scirra may be unable to fix it themselves at all, but to be concerned and using its large(r) industry standing/PR power and fanbase as leverage to apply pressure to the NW.JS staff to apply pressure to Chromium developers (officially as a company, not just "C2 users individually requesting"), is what Scirra's paying customers would expect from the developer of the product they purchased. If Unity or Unreal Engine 4 was doing half the things Construct 2 is doing to me you can bet I would be in their forums complaining too.

Edit: Also any NW.JS verison from the "most stable" 0.10.x to the newer post-NodeWebkit-rename are equally wreaking havoc on my game in different ways. Not a viable solution, especially when Steam Greenworks breaks in some way at every change too.

• Just throwing it out there that a handful of YT'ers that made videos on my demo seemed to have problems as well. A few of them stuck it out and figured out a way to make it work but who knows if I missed out on some who just gave up. As a developer, one of my main goals is making running my game and things associated with that (like streaming, capturing) as easy as possible.

I've been fine with the issues and response to issues from Scirra for the past year and half that I've been using their software. However the response I'm seeing here from Scirra is pretty disappointing and got me pretty bummed.

• Not trying to dismiss the NW.js problems and their severity, but a certain group of youtubers, reviewers and let's-players are braindead morons (please excuse the profanity). We had *a lot* of issues with them at work, with products made in Unity, Godot and VizRT. Some require spoonfeeding in a way that you get why they make videos for a living and not a decent job

• I'll get a 0.18.5 release out soon anyway.

Ashley could you please wait for their 0.18.6 release, it's just that they confirmed the single process fix for that version of NWjs recently.

Would save you the effort of creating another installer just for the fix.

• Scirra may be unable to fix it themselves at all, but to be concerned and using its large(r) industry standing/PR power and fanbase as leverage to apply pressure to the NW.JS staff to apply pressure to Chromium developers (officially as a company, not just "C2 users individually requesting"), is what Scirra's paying customers would expect from the developer of the product they purchased.

The screen recording issue is nothing to do with NW.js or Chromium either. It's a problem with the screen recorder.

I don't understand what you even expect me to do about this? I can't fix the screen recorder apps, it's not our software and many of them are closed source. All I can do is ask them to fix it. You can do that yourself, and the more people who do it, the more likely they are to take it seriously as an issue. Don't overestimate our influence, even browser makers shrug us off unless there is a tide of users behind us.

What more can we do? What is your best-case scenario here? Do you expect me to disassemble a screen recorder and fix it from the assembly code or something?

• What more can we do? What is your best-case scenario here? Do you expect me to disassemble a screen recorder and fix it from the assembly code or something?

It is certainly an issue with NW.JS and Chromiums multiple instancing and possibly even due to not using DirectX or OpenGL which would be easy to pick up on and assume to be game content.

However what I really ask for here is for an official request made by Scirra to these troublesome third parties that Construct users can then join in on. Make it official instead of sending us as guerrilla agents individually.

It feels like your support end-point or hand-off is the editor itself, so there is no consideration for the actual game exports and troubles we have there beyond the editor-side.

This is not enough because your entire program is sold on the backs of these third parties, and so we need some extra help from Scirra making sure they play fair with Construct.

• It feels like your support end-point or hand-off is the editor itself, so there is no consideration for the actual game exports and troubles we have there beyond the editor-side.

This is not enough because your entire program is sold on the backs of these third parties, and so we need some extra help from Scirra making sure they play fair with Construct.

Well said.

• Jayjay thanks for explaining.

• Just FYI. I've tried with the latest NW.js 0.18.6. The "--single-process" works with this version (you can run the game) but it does not solve the recording issue. Also it does not solve the flickering issue.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just FYI. I've tried with the latest NW.js 0.18.6. The "--single-process" works with this version (you can run the game) but it does not solve the recording issue. Also it does not solve the flickering issue.

Do you know if there is an older version of NWjs that works with the latest C2 and can capture in game mode?

• I have reported this issue to Action Mirillis (https://mirillis.com/en/) and FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/) for now. We'll see if they'll take care of it or not. If those two will ignore it, then there's no point in reporting the issue to others I guess. I'll keep you updated.

AFAIK there's no NW.js version which works well with all screen recorders.

• I'm still not sure if the problem is with the recording app or chrome, because on firefox it works well and I remember I used to be able to record form chrome in the not so far past (regardless to NWjs).

• The problem is related only to full screened NW.js

• I can't record in game or window mode in OBS with NWjs and with chrome, with or without the single-process arg, does it work on your end?

• What worked for me was d3dgear.com with NW.js 0.13.2, but you had to run the game first and then the recording soft.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)