Crosswalk Performance Mega-thread

From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • szymek

It really depend on the project. Personally i hate playing and developing mobile games xD but job is the job. You get simple games and more complicated ones and it's all up to you to decide what engine you want to choose. For example i would never use C2 for 3d game - even with amazing Q3D plugin, because it's a bit to complicated. I found UE4 a lot easier than C2+Q3D

• DUTOIT

It's ~3 years old laptop with dual core AMD A4-3305M APU. I'm not targeting desktops, but anyway in my case the latest Canary still isn't as good as old NodeWebkit. So I doubt that it will be better on mobiles. That's why I still bet on Ludei Cocoon.io

• shinkan

I've tried your test on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T110

webGL

Vivante GC1000

10-11% CPU

44-47 FPS

XDK export is unusable at this moment for scrolling games or anything which involves moving sprites.

• shinkan

when we talk about mobiles, the point is that Crosswalk is not as good as Ashley believes (because he does not use it) and without Ludei many C2 devs would be in really, really deep...

But I will use Crosswalk for my new simple project, just because it supports Text object and it won't be a game

Noga

but Ashley said "Crosswalk is our wrapper for Android 4.x compatibility, and it really does provide by far the best results on those platforms."

• It's hard to optimize for every device on the market and here in Scandinavia almost every single person young as old has a high end device so it's easy to forget to test on these older phones when everyone you know can run the game smooth as silk.

But the truth is that C2 works just fine for medium+ performance devices if you know what you're doing. It's a really great and simple engine that makes it possible for someone to create a game without any programming knowledge.

So if you want to reach the low end devices you might have to choose another engine for now. But soon the technology will be otimized and be less demanding and phones around the world will be better as well.

You can't compare C2 with buidlbox games which are super simple free casual games that the buildbox team has developed and put huge amounts in marketing to make them top the list on the app stores just to be able to use them to market their super over prized engine. The performance on buildbox is great but as said before it is really really really limited and as basic as it can be. Only good for simple casual games.

But I'm not saying that I wouldn't want a native export for C2. I would love that. But I do understand that everything costs money and if you believe that C2 should have all it's features it has atm which are alot more than most other engines and also every feature super expensive engines like buildbox has your're living in a dream world. A few hours at work and you can afford to buy a C2 licence.

But I could easily pay alot more for C2 if it one day had native export. The problem is how many would?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C2 is AWESOME in making games, just making games not EXPORTING those game to mobile devices, i don't want to make games for web, i can't earn enough money to support my business by making web games that can be played only on a PC inside a web browser!

Did anyone tried BuildBox export?! the best performance ever with the smallest APK size (5mb)! every thing is working just perfect.

I want C2 to export JUST LIKE THAT.

• Anonnymitet

yea that's what I'm talking about, if C2 and export just like buildbox it'll be the most powerful game engine EVER created! EVER!.

All the powerful features of C2 + small APK size + stability + amazing performance = the best solution ever.

and it's not impossible! it can be done!, and it worth all the time and efforts, but Ashly don't want to listen.

• but Ashly don't want to listen.

I think most users don't want to listen, and cannot read the description of construct 2.

[quote:1zolnf80]What is Construct 2?

Construct 2 is a powerful ground breaking HTML5 game creator designed specifically for 2D games. It allows anyone to build games — no coding required!

It's NOT 3d and NOT native, and never be.

• ok, Good luck with it

• From the most simple perspective possible:

Most if not ALL C2 Users want the Native Exporter because it would provide the Ultimate Performance which we obviously do not enjoy as it is right now.

If it is a matter of money, I guarantee C2's popularity and profitability would quickly rise through the roof with such a feature. It is the biggest bottleneck of the engine by far.

So my guess is it's not a matter of money, or should I say, making more money, but a matter of the skills of the developer/programmers themselves.

C2 is not capable of making an adequate exporter. The demand is super high, the profitablity is super high, the market is there, but C2 is not able to do it.

That is my simplest guess.

• STARTECHSTUDIOS

Cocos2d is FREE, and soooooooo powerful but we need to learn coding. this is it!

C2's popularity will never improve without native exporter because it's now completely useless without it, and it'll be that way.

Thanks for C2 because it forced me hard to start learning coding and stop depending on such (No coding skill required) solutions.

• Most if not ALL C2 Users want the Native Exporter because it would provide the Ultimate Performance which we obviously do not enjoy as it is right now.

s.

No and No.

and btw. If you don't like it you are free to go somewhere else. But please stop spamming this thread about useless informations. This thread is about performance issues and solutions for Crosswalk.

• shinkan

OK, information that is NOT useless: Crosswalk performance is becoming worse, and there is no solution for that.

enjoy

• pls someone already ban these "performance trolls".

anyway - profitability is not ultra high mega giga whatever someone said - because it's a html 5 game engine. that means - no real native performance ever. even cocoon isn't native. it's a wrapper, but a better one then crosswalk.

if you want real native performance for android pls go learn Java and DIY, whole engine and game all over again, we're tired of listening to your whines. if you want IOS - go learn XCODE and make native game with whole engine again.

c2 can't simply jump from HTML to C++ or Java (or both) because it would require starting from nothing to create engine (whole construct) in c++ or Java (or both) - to get native performance. so stop your whines for god sakes, because there will never be native on html. it simply doesn't exist.

now a couple of pics for you whiners to finally get it in your thick skulls:

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/progr ... rocess.png < - this is a c++ generating code. you write your code, then you build it and an EXE pops out (step 1-4). After you run exe only 2 steps have to happen - loader and execution - that is native performance - when you load compiled code and it executes on cpu. simple as that.

and this is for C++.

now for javascript:

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ab ... _webp=true

when you write down your code it has to get INTERPRETED. that is different from COMPILE. when you get to execution step

the nature of javascript is dynamicall so it has an interpreter that will constantly generate new bytecode. that bytecode will again run into execution - therefore you have a step more then with compiling. now you're wondering what interprets javascript - our browser. and browser is a compiled exe. get why there is no native with javascript? it can be fast, it can be good - but native - never.

SO FOR THE LAST GOD DAMN TIME - STOP YOUR WHINES AND GO LEARN C++ OR JAVA IF C2 IS BAD TO YOU.

• pls someone already ban these "performance trolls".

anyway - profitability is not ultra high mega giga whatever someone said - because it's a html 5 game engine. that means - no real native performance ever. even cocoon isn't native. it's a wrapper, but a better one then crosswalk.

if you want real native performance for android pls go learn Java and DIY, whole engine and game all over again, we're tired of listening to your whines. if you want IOS - go learn XCODE and make native game with whole engine again.

c2 can't simply jump from HTML to C++ or Java (or both) because it would require starting from nothing to create engine (whole construct) in c++ or Java (or both) - to get native performance. so stop your whines for god sakes, because there will never be native on html. it simply doesn't exist.

now a couple of pics for you whiners to finally get it in your thick skulls:

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/progr ... rocess.png < - this is a c++ generating code. you write your code, then you build it and an EXE pops out (step 1-4). After you run exe only 2 steps have to happen - loader and execution - that is native performance - when you load compiled code and it executes on cpu. simple as that.

and this is for C++.

now for javascript:

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ab ... _webp=true

when you write down your code it has to get INTERPRETED. that is different from COMPILE. when you get to execution step

the nature of javascript is dynamicall so it has an interpreter that will constantly generate new bytecode. that bytecode will again run into execution - therefore you have a step more then with compiling. now you're wondering what interprets javascript - our browser. and browser is a compiled exe. get why there is no native with javascript? it can be fast, it can be good - but native - never.

SO FOR THE LAST GOD DAMN TIME - STOP YOUR WHINES AND GO LEARN C++ OR JAVA IF C2 IS BAD TO YOU.

Agreed. For those who wants nafive performance I recommend Fusion 2.5. This app has native android and ios exporters and you do not need to know how to code. I own it but rarely start it up. Because 1. C2 is easier to use and does not hamper me and 2. I manage fine with crosswalk and its performance. Busy with a platformer for android and I test via crosswalk player regularly and the game runs fine. Also remember as time goes by software improves and hardware becomes more and more powerful. Eventually the line between wrappers and native apps will be blurred. So lets just enjoy making games and work with what we got. If that does not work for you then yes, follow above advice and learn to program.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)