Crosswalk Performance Mega-thread

From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Here's the same test .capx exported with Cocoon, so we're not talking theory.

Download the apk

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T110

webGL

Vivante GC1000

32-39% CPU

60 FPS stable

FPS is great, no problem. Now there's just one thing which bugs me, din't notice that before. That CPU usage went from 10% on Crosswalk to almost 40% with Cocoon

Hopefully it won't be a problem. I'll try to do some stress test.

• Noga did you use old Cocoon? or new ".io" one?

• did you use old Cocoon? or new ".io" one?

The new one.

Here's the test version 2.

source .capx

Crosswalk export .apk

Cocoon export .apk

32 sprites with sine behavior and again tested on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T110

Crosswalk 12

14-18% CPU

41-49 FPS (average 44)

Cocoon

32-42% CPU

60 FPS stable

FPS makes it clearly visible what export you should use for exporting C2 games. Again, this is how things are at the moment and they may change in the future. I'll do some more tests to see where the Cocoon will break.

update

For testing, I was using cw12 shell with gpu blacklist. This turned the device into canvas 2d mode and the results for Crosswalk were much worse (22 FPS). After exporting the testing version with Intel XDK it uses webGL correctly and FPS went up.

Still it doesn't change anything about which export performs better at the moment.

Crosswalk is lagging no matter if 1 or 32 sprites are used. I'll try to add more sprites to see if it makes a change in FPS.

• Is new cocoon supporting webgl? They got some issues with it last time I checked.

• Man, I tried to use the new cocoon, everytime I tried to compile it I got some error which wasn't happening in crosswalk. I'm interested to see how well it performs.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Is new cocoon supporting webgl? They got some issues with it last time I checked.

I think it's fixed. In the test version the webGL is set to ON.

I did a mistake when testing and corrected the original post with accurate numbers. It makes no difference in the result, just changed FPS numbers.

• Noga

That's cool. i might try that with my project.... just need to find some info how to export it to Cocoon. xD

• shinkan

It's the same way you export to cordova.

• vybr Does it needs some special preparations? like minification on/off some special fullscreen scaling settings? Is there a place somewhere where i can find more info?

• shinkan I have no idea, I'm not in the beta yet sadly. Though I'm convinced none of those settings matter and you can export it with no issue.

EDIT: I found this. It should tell you everything you need to know: https://cocoon.io/doc/index

• Tried to recompile a WebGL export of my project in cocoon.io

Game runs great...in the bottom 1/4 of my screen.

• How comes that everyone has access to cocoon.io except me ^^ didnt get invited yet

• I sent some feedback to cocoon.io about the webGL scaling issue:

[quote:2m1cqm8r]Project exported from Construct 2 as Cordova. Fullscreen is set to true.

Problem:

Game only fills bottom-left part of screen when WebGL is enabled.

Suspected cause:

It seems as if the game resolution is reduced if it exceeds the resolution of the target device. This appears to follow powers-of-two. In my case the native game rez is 1024x640; the rez of the lower-left window is 512x320. Said device has a 800x480 screen.

Unfortunately, this image is not being scaled back up to fit the screen.

Also of note: touch input registers as if the image is being scaled up; ie, tapping on buttons in the small window in the bottom left won't work, but tapping where those buttons would be if the screen was scaling correctly works fine.

The small window displays correctly otherwise; webgl fx work, framerate is good.

Touch input and sound trigger latency is faultless.

Device info:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b8F ... sp=sharing

• So far I've only used crosswalk, which ran fine on my htc one m7, and a few other phones (mostly near the high end range and high end mid range), I guess I will need to get a few mid range phones to test it out to really get a grip on the performance. But I have to admit, looking at the steady FPS of cocoon is definitely getting em interested to at least give it a try and see the difference.

Noga, this is from my testing with crosswalk, so not sure if it is applicable with cocoon, but I had a game that was cpu hungry on crosswalk, 40% up to 70%. I did some stress test and I found one big red flag that made me stop all plans for the game at the moment. It devoured my battery life like crazy! I mean insanely battery hungry! No other games I played even came close. A comparison, I played real racing 3 for 20 minutes, and my game for 5 minutes. Checking the battery usage, my game used roughly 10x more power. Not sure if this is the case with cocoon, but just wanted to let you know so you could look out for it next time you do a stress test.

• Tried to recompile a WebGL export of my project in cocoon.io

Game runs great...in the bottom 1/4 of my screen.

Can you try the Cocoon test apk from this post?

Window size - 1280, 720

webGL - ON

my device has resolution 1024, 600 and it looks normal.

this is from my testing with crosswalk, so not sure if it is applicable with cocoon, but I had a game that was cpu hungry on crosswalk, 40% up to 70%. I did some stress test and I found one big red flag that made me stop all plans for the game at the moment. It devoured my battery life like crazy! I mean insanely battery hungry! No other games I played even came close. A comparison, I played real racing 3 for 20 minutes, and my game for 5 minutes. Checking the battery usage, my game used roughly 10x more power. Not sure if this is the case with cocoon, but just wanted to let you know so you could look out for it next time you do a stress test.

As someone mentioned couple posts back, Crosswalk (and Cocoon) is an extra level on top of the game to make it run and it takes more power by doing that extra work which native games don't need to care about. That's something we can't avoid and it means we have to be even more careful about resources when using C2.

From those few tests I did lately, Cocoon takes about 50% more CPU power than Crosswalk (it looks, it doesn't scale that much when adding more sprites, so that's good). It's great it can keep 60 FPS, I just hope it doesn't mean 50% more power consumption.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)