How to make a multiplayer game?

From the Asset Store
The official Scirra Multiplayer Signalling Server for helping peers find and connect to each other

Hello everyone

i am working on a multiplayer game but i have a fundamental doubt:- how to even begin with it?

Example:- I want to make a multiplayer game where users will use their wifi to connect with each other(EXACTLY LIKE milli militia).Even bluetooth will be fine to connect and play.Just basic fact is that i don't want users to use internet(i mean that whole system should be offline:-users are just using wifi/bluetooth for connecting with each other)

Infact,can such games be made in construct 3? Just wondering

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that C3 could do this but. You'll be writing a lot of custom JS code to achieve it.

C3 projects have 3 major ways of connecting to other systems.

• Ajax
    • Websockets
    • Multiplayer Plugin

With Ajax you're sending requests to a server and getting responses back.

With Websockets, you're connected to a server and sending data back and forth.

With Multiplayer, you're communicating with a signalling server to find matches and then one player becomes the host/server for the other players to join.

The Multiplayer Plugin would work well on a local network as you're looking to do as latency would be low. However, you'll still need the internet to contact a signalling server and match the players to each other. Once they're matched, the app that's hosting the game takes over.

Trying to create a multiplayer system that would only function on a local network without the signalling server would require a LOT of work as you'd be writing code defining ports, communications protocols and handling the network traffic back and forth to manage players. Essentially, writing your own plugin.

There may be another way to do this and someone may give you a better answer, but I'm not aware of it.

Thanks for the answer

Ashley, can you give a sweet opinion ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

And just as a piece of advice. Creating multiplayer apps is not for the faint of heart. Managing multiplayer communications is a science unto itself. If you're still relatively new to writing code and Construct in general, I'd recommend creating several single player projects and work on making them successful before even attempting multiplayer.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

I think you are right

Actually I was thinking about the gamee jam competition. In it, only multi-player games can be submitted

i am working on a multiplayer game but i have a fundamental doubt:- how to even begin with it?

Why not start with the Multiplayer tutorial series?

I think you are right

Actually I was thinking about the gamee jam competition. In it, only multi-player games can be submitted

Ah, now that's a different story. Their plugins handle all of that. As a matter of fact, if you read their FAQ, you'll find out that you can't use Ajax, Websockets or Multiplayer Plugin for that. You can't make any external connections.

And, it can be multiplayer, single player or fake multiplayer.

So, you're back in the ballgame.

Multiplayer in C3 is now "thing of interest" for me or how to say it. :)

I would like to ask about connection with Multiplayer plugin in C3, I read all these manuals as Ashley mentioned and yea it is difficult but thanks Ashley that it is very well described. I also tried chat example and experimenting with it.

1. When I am on same WiFi network it works 100% like Lan.
    2. When I am on different WiFi there is sometimes problem then peer is disconnected so I guessing that host must be behind proxy, NAT or blocked some ports etc.. am I right? Simply host is not visible for peers.
    3. I also tried it via mobile data connection and it did not work. What is different in this case?
    4. What about publishing the multiplayer game (via C3 and their signaling server) on Google Play? Can there be a problem with the content (referring to the server) or requirements of additional permission on mobile?
    5. Lastly what about predefined Google play games API for multiplayer similiar to Google play games Leaderboards etc is it possible to implement it in C3 and may it be better?

Sorry for maybe strange questions but I am begginer in this area and I will be really glad for further explanation and tips for better understanding of whole thing. :))

BUMP my last post, please anyone some useful tips and description?? I will be really glad. :))

Multiplayer in C3 is now "thing of interest" for me or how to say it. :)

I would like to ask about connection with Multiplayer plugin in C3, I read all these manuals as Ashley mentioned and yea it is difficult but thanks Ashley that it is very well described. I also tried chat example and experimenting with it.

1. When I am on same WiFi network it works 100% like Lan.
    2. When I am on different WiFi there is sometimes problem then peer is disconnected so I guessing that host must be behind proxy, NAT or blocked some ports etc.. am I right? Simply host is not visible for peers.
    3. I also tried it via mobile data connection and it did not work. What is different in this case?
    4. What about publishing the multiplayer game (via C3 and their signaling server) on Google Play? Can there be a problem with the content (referring to the server) or requirements of additional permission on mobile?
    5. Lastly what about predefined Google play games API for multiplayer similiar to Google play games Leaderboards etc is it possible to implement it in C3 and may it be better?

Sorry for maybe strange questions but I am begginer in this area and I will be really glad for further explanation and tips for better understanding of whole thing. :))

I'm afraid you're delving into an area where few have traveled. I am working on a multiplayer game as well but mine will be purely web based and won't need to keep track of player movement. Thus, my ability to answer your questions is limited.

A lot of things can affect your connection. Something as common as Windows Firewall can deny a connection.

There will be additional requirements if you publish on Google Play. You're going to need to research their actual terms to figure out what you can and can't do. I do know that you can connect remotely to other devices. Plenty of apps do that.

As for leaderboards and handling real-time multiplayer connections, I suggest you look into websockets and creating your own websockets server as well as Ajax communications with web based servers. While the multiplayer plugin does work and will work for low latency connections it does have it's limitations. Since a game client acts as the host, the number of connections to that game client is going to be limited both by the power and the location of that device. If your host is in Germany on a 10 year old cell phone and all the other players are in Australia on desktop's, it's going to have issues.

I was working on a Multiplayer game you might want to look in to Photon, or Colossus I tried using them and got no where but they are supposed to be easier to make multiplayer with then without. I Dont know JavaScript, so I did not get far.. Im sticking to single player until there becomes more knowledge about multiplayer.

Ubru

2: TURN server

3: TURN server

4: no problem

5: isn't realtime multiplayer

WHAT ???

Thylacine there is more knowledge and i have it

If you have the knowledge then share it !!!

irrelevant

stop misleading

Misleading? Irrelevant? I don't know what planet you live on but the physics on my planet dictates that a cell phone is NOT going to host 1,000 players simultaneously. Period.

Furthermore, the physics on my planet is dictated by the speed of light. Whether the player is farther away or closer to the server has ZERO relevance on how the server is communicating. DISTANCE determines the delay in the signal whether it's UDP, TCP, FTP, HTTP, Websockets or a tin can on a string (ok, so that last one is dictated by the speed of sound. Same principle).

Fengist Damn LUL. Also Why not explain it further more here? Why do we need to join your discord server?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)