Can I make a game like Alto's Adventure or Tiny Wings?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Minimal Sprite Font with Stroke for Pixel Art games.
  • Hi, thanks for reading. In this topic, I would like to discuss about the possibility of making games with rather different physics. In snowboarding games, the main character seems to slide through a never ending, random generated line in a wavy fashion. I assume maybe some mathematical formulas are involved in doing the terrain. The same goes to Tiny Wings. I wonder how could I make a level with that physics and terrain. Also there is another game, Worms. In it, when the terrain gets hit with projectiles, it leaves a hole, generally round. How can I do that? Thanks

• I think something like tiny wings might be doable with vanilla construct without needing formulas by creating a line of physics objects based on a sprite with the sine behavior. Afaik there is a bug though that crashes the app at some point when too many physics objects are created/destroyed.

Worms will be rather complicated with vanilla construct (without plugins) since it usually means pixel-perfect collision-detection. It is somewhat doable with tilemaps but this is generally really slow once you go below a tile-size of 5 or 4 pixels. I tinkered around with the idea for a bit but it´s meh.

I know that there are working Worms examples floating around but I couldn´t find one for construct 3 sadly, especially since they use a plugin that isn´t ported (and maybe never will be)

Maybe Ashley has an idea on how one could possibly approach this (Worms), I´d be interested in this too.

• I find this is very interesting topic :)

Well.. there is a super nice game "Airscape : The Fall of Gravity" which made from Construct 2, the "curved surface" also can be found there, and I think it is similar to Alto's surface..

Make a solid surface in typical/basic platformer game is easy using Construct, but I stil cannot figure it out how to make a solid "curved surface",

I have no idea how to define the collision polygon perfectly to look like curve since there is warning not to make more than 8 collision point,

make the player character move smoothly on curved surface could be challenging too

I also curious about how to make the hole on terrain which caused by projectile shoot..

• About the Worm game effect, I have posted a topic here :

construct.net/en/forum/construct-2/how-do-i-18/how-do-i-disable-collision-of-129716

With the help from dop2000 and combine with the clear tile range when overlap, I got this example: drive.google.com/open

But it still has an issue that the bullet can collide with the empty zone, hope you guy can find the issue.

• pilpgam

Check out this post, there are a few examples. (they are in C2, but will also work for C3)

construct.net/en/forum/construct-2/how-do-i-18/simple-scorched-earth-worms-ga-129595

• these guys seem to have achieved the worms thing pretty convincingly. dont ask me how though.

Im pretty sure they are still using Construct 2 or 3 but I cant see any updates on this forum from them.

reven

youtube.com/watch

about half way through the vid you will see the terrain destruction.

• Thanks for all the responses!

• pilpgam

Check out this post, there are a few examples. (they are in C2, but will also work for C3)

https://www.construct.net/en/forum/construct-2/how-do-i-18/simple-scorched-earth-worms-ga-129595

dop2000 Nice.. I check it. Thanks.

Looks like I should play around in C2 sub thread.

so far I only look around in C3 thread, because I use C3 and I am new in this forum..

Also thanks Maverick1912 for the thread reference.

I will check it for sure..

Thankyou guys..

• Yeah, C2 forum has about 20x times more posts than C3, you should definitely search it. I usually use google search, it's easier, for example:

tiny wings site:construct.net

• Okay, thanks, I'll keep following

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • For a Tiny Wings type game we don't have that great of support for custom collision polygons so I would say either daisy chaining terrain collision objects, or(and it's a big or) interpolating splines using qarp or cubic using R0j0's Paster plug.

• Yeah I would say that having many points on the surface isnt a good way to make the game fast. But I think that qarp and other that you said might be mathematical formulas to make a wave? I'm not much of a programmer, but as an artist I think that's what it means lol, taking from vector graphics

• It's complicated, but not that hard to understand. And yeah you probably have a good understanding of it as an artist.

It's like a path with control points. But you have to take into account the more curvy you get the more objects you would need.

This might be a good example:

pigmalien.github.io/cubic

• Thanks you, can you explain the qard one too?

• That's just one less control point.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)