Welcome to the new forums

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Create your game with this complete pack of images and animations!
  • Custom? But why? Don't get me wrong, it's cool to do your custom stuff. I often do that myself, but sometimes it seems to be a case of "reinventing the wheel". Often you will have to solve problems that are already solved in established products.

New website is hosted scalably on Azure, it's hard finding a forum that:

• Runs on asp.net
    • Scalable in our infrastructure (we utilise Redis heavily)
    • Can seamlessly integrate with our membership system without having to glue them together which was a huge pain point of the old site
    • Ties in with our email and alerts system

I get the pro's of not re-inventing the wheel definitely, but a lot of the components of the forum were already written in other parts of the website so was a case of just utilising them in different ways.

Using prebuilt has the downsides of having to hack and glue a lot of stuff together, which also makes installing updates difficult when you've made big changes to it (pain point of old forum as well).

Edit: And yes, mobile rendering is on the list.

• lennaert you seem triggered, take a walk...

• He's banned for a week just to cool down, I'm glad this site means so much to him but the abusive language is not welcome here and we're coming down harder on that behavior now to keep things nicer round here.

• Abusive language aside it’s worth acknowledging that tempers are starting to flare due to customer frustration.

• With all due respect, I would like to say that the forums have been an EXTREME and I do mean EXTREME pain point for my team. Half the time we get 500 server errors and have to rely on Google Cache to view posts. Some old posts have bad formatting, and things that were attached in old posts are now no longer available, creating a never ending spiderweb of frustration. It took us a while to realize that the forum went through a migration process, and the whole thing felt extremely chaotic and poorly put together.

Lack of a search feature is absolutely brutal for people trying to use the forum as a knowledge base, with Google once again having to come in, to do the heavy lifting here. It's not great, it's far from great, and in all honesty if we knew before that we would have to be fighting 500 errors in an unsearchable knowledge base, with half the posts being jumbled unreadable poorly formatted messes with attachments missing, it would have certainly affected our decision to use this software, and purchase Construct 3.

I understand that you needed to make this change to make it easier on YOUR side, but you've made things infinitely more difficult on the consumer side. You have effectively shifted the burden to us instead of you, even though we are paying consumers, and are expecting a working community and knowledge repository.

I don't agree with users become unnecessarily aggressive, but this is an extreme problem for some, and the assessment that the forums are in "shambles" is somewhat accurate. I would also say that from speaking with people on Discord this is sowing a lot of frustration into the user base.

• google your topic site:scirra.com

Which is essentially the same as how the tutorial search worked on scirra.

• With all due respect, I would like to say that the forums have been an EXTREME and I do mean EXTREME pain point for my team...

I have to agree.

Some time ago my team managed to meet personally for the first time - not so easy being scattered in Europe and America. We had a long list of tricky things to solve and right in that time we had to face a forum that wasn't usable at all. A desaster, really, took away too much of our precious time together...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Okay, how do you search by subtopics? Authors? What if you only want to search by thread names?

While google search is good, it's a crutch and not a real solution, and traditional forum searches offer you finer control over what you are trying to find.

Like I said with all due respect, but the decision to force user to migrate to an incomplete featured forum, while breaking a significant amount of content that already existed, simply to alleviate pain points on your own end without passing on any benefits to the consumer, is not the best move.

Has the forum migration made the Construct 3 eco system better or worse? I would wager most people would side with worse.

Google is constantly updating its cache and many cached pages from scirra.com are no longer available (when you click "Cached", it now opens a page from construct.net)

Which is essentially the same as how the tutorial search worked on scirra.

Speaking of tutorials, this link is not working anymore - scirra.com/tutorials/all

It was so easy to browse and search through the whole list of tutorials on one page, and now it's a PITA!

yrokhlin I can't agree with you more!

I don't care about the new colors and small bugs, and I like the fact that the new forum doesn't log me out every 5 minutes or give me timeout errors anymore. But the situation with old posts is simply unacceptable! For god's sake, this is not some pop-star fan page, this is a programming forum. And many users here are paid customers, who rely on information collected here over the years and need it in every days work.

• Nobody said it was a solution.

I do work arounds, that's it.

And you don't have to thank me.

• "This post is pending approval from a moderator. Please be patient!"

Since 10 hours? Be patient?? There was nothing rude or aggressive in my post.

Is censorship a new functionality here?

• Guys if you think Tom and other Scirra guys are technical incompetent for do a forum migration I think you are wrong.

They did such a great tool (Construct engine) and they are unable to make a simple forum migration?

How hard can I be?

Step 1: Do migration on a new test environment

Step 2: It doesn't work properly? -> try step 1 with some changes until it works

Step 3: It works? -> publish live

Do you realize that Scirra got a big problem, Construct 2 had a lot of user extensions, very useful(many extensions did not work in construct 3). Why someone will migrate to construct 3 when they have such a great tool as construct 2.

That migration process of forums is a masterpiece. They destroyed the entire links of user created tools for construct 2 while keeping the forums big.(When a new user comes in he sees <wow what a big community, let me buy construct 3>).

I offered myself as a volunteer to browse the old forums and post the links manually on the new one. But of course I was ignored because they don't care anymore about that stuff.

Old forums links are gone forever making construct 2 an outdated software

Congrats!

• paala, It's a curious conspiracy theory, but I'm sure Scirra didn't do this intentionally. They probably just rushed with migration (because of GDPR and stuff) and didn't have time to test everything properly.

• They did such a great tool (Construct engine) and they are unable to make a simple forum migration?

Well Ashley did the engine and Tom did the web stuff, which was broken, slow and poorly thought out. Correct me if i'm wrong on any point.

• "This post is pending approval from a moderator. Please be patient!"

Since 10 hours? Be patient?? There was nothing rude or aggressive in my post.

Is censorship a new functionality here?

Some posts depending on post count are rated by Akismet, if it thinks there's a chance it's spam it'll mark it for review. Not censorship.

I offered myself as a volunteer to browse the old forums and post the links manually on the new one. But of course I was ignored because they don't care anymore about that stuff.

Not ignored, it's just the wrong way to go about it.

Everything will be fixed, sorry it's taking far longer than expected but that's the way it is.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)