As of r254 the Mobile Adverts plugin has been updated to support Admob SDK version 20.0.0 and up, as well as the new EU consent form and IDFA messages (iOS only).
The plugin still works largely the same, but there are some new features and a few other things that have been removed or deprecated. So let's go over them now.
- Publisher id: is no longer needed to be specified explicitly as it is inferred from the application ids.
- Ad free option: this is no longer an option supported by Admob SDK, so it is being removed from the plugin.
- Video adverts: everything related to video adverts has been deprecated as whether or not an advert is a video is decided only by the configuration of ad units in your Admob account, rather than by explicitly requesting for a video.
On track for deprecation
Set user personalization: it is no longer possible to change this setting at the SDK level. Whether ads are personalised or not is decided by the user giving or declining consent. You can still use this action using the "No Adverts" option, which will effectively turn off ads. It is likely this action will be deprecated in the future.
- Rewarded advert: this type of ad replaces the old video adverts.
- Rewarded interstitial advert: previously unsupported ad type.
EU consent and IDFA
A few things are needed to setup EU consent forms and IDFA messages (iOS only), so let's go over the whole process.
Funding Choices Account
In order to set up an EU consent form and IDFA messages (iOS only), you will need to create an account at https://fundingchoices.google.com/ which is linked to your existing Admob account. To do so, follow this steps:
- Login to your Admob account.
- Click on Privacy & messaging in the left hand side menu.
- Click on the Go To Funding Choices button.
- Follow the steps to create your new account.
After doing that, your new account will already have knowledge of applications created in your Admob account and you will be able to create EU consent forms and IDFA messages (iOS only) for them.
Now that the funding choices account is setup, you need to create a message, to do so follow these steps:
Select one of your applications by clicking on the Apps option of the left hand menu and then by clicking on the application you want to create the message for.
Fill consent details
Now click on the Consent Details button, to set up what the form will be requesting from the user.
There are a few details to complete here:
- Consent framework: pick the only option available.
- Purposes for your own use: pick the permissions necessary for showing ads.
- Vendors associated with your app: you can pick which vendors your app will use for adverts. You can just tick the Commonly used vendors checkbox here.
Hit Save and let's continue.
Click the Create button to create a message. In the case of Android there will be a single option here to create a EU consent message. In the case of iOS there is also the option to create an IDFA message. In iOS you will need to create both messages.
Now follow the steps to complete the message, first you will setup the name of the message, the languages it will support and the consent options the form will have. Won't go into much detail here as it is fairly straight forward.
Then you are given the option to style the form to better suit the style of your application. The styling options are pretty limited though.
Once you are done, save everything and your message will be created!
Make sure to publish the message so your application can start using it. Do so by clicking on the three dots menu on the message entry and selecting Publish.
With all of that setup, everything should be ready to start showing ads!
During development we haven't been able to get iOS apps to show ads, we are still trying to figure out why. Hopefully it will be sorted out quickly.
- Set user personalization: this action will not do anything when used, so it is advised you remove it if it was in use.
- On User personalization updated: this condition is no longer fulfilled
- Consent status: this expression now returns different values. It now returns any of the following: REQUIRED, NOT_REQUIRED, OBTAINED or UNKNOWN
- Show Consent: was removed because the desicion of showing the consent dialog is now made automatically using information provided by the User Messaging Platform SDK.
- Show on start up: A toogle to choose wether to show the consent form automatically on start up.
The following only applies for iOS devices.
If you have an IDFA message set up in your Funding Choices account and the application is opened by a device in the EEA, the ATT dialog will be shown immediately after the EU consent form. This is how the underlying SDK works and it is mentioned in Google's own quick start guide.
However, if you disable your IDFA message or don't have one at all, then the ATT dialog won't be shown automatically and you will be able to control when it appears by using the Request IDFA action.
Spoof Location in real device
Unfortunately at the moment it is not possible to use this feature in a real device with iOS version 14 or greater. This is because to enable the feature, it is necessary to have access to the IDFA beforehand, which is not possible without first showing the ATT dialog. Since the dialog can only be shown one time, enabling the feature makes it impossible to later test how the application would behave upon first installing it. The feature can still be used in a simulator though.
As of r260 all of this changes are in the stable release. The documentation for the plugin has been updated.