Sombrero - OUT NOW!

0 favourites
  • Impressive looking game play!

Thanks, guy! Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to record more recent footage and update that months-old gameplay video!

Speaking of which: if you're in the NYC area, come on out to Microsoft's Office in Times Square and play a whole slew of games, Sombrero included!

http://www.playcrafting.com/education-detail/?event_id=15805369285

• Looks really fun!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • UPDATED GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE!

FINALLY worked out the video capture issues I was having. So enjoy this short preview of Sombrero's updated gameplay, now with powerups!

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • nice design and fun gameplay

• Looking Good

My 2cents:

From the video I have some trouble distinguishing the players, maybe while playing on a screen this is not a problem, but maybe it hinders video watching.

Have you tried running the game in grey color? Put a solid black layer on top and add the Saturation effect, it helps to see what pops up and what is lost in the background.

On your page it toke a half a minute to load the background image animation. I´v a crappy connection but even do you might be losing some page views.

• digitalsoapbox

Looks excellent!

Gameplay looks frenzy fun... i would add ton of different firepower (like worms have)... you know... different weapons, bombs, Jackass with TNT...

• digitalsoapbox

Looks excellent!

Gameplay looks frenzy fun... i would add ton of different firepower (like worms have)... you know... different weapons, bombs, Jackass with TNT...

I think there's a dozen or so weapons in already. Including, recently, the Exploderang, which is...a boomerang. That explodes. Many, many times.

So that should be fun .

• Looking Good

My 2cents:

From the video I have some trouble distinguishing the players, maybe while playing on a screen this is not a problem, but maybe it hinders video watching.

Have you tried running the game in grey color? Put a solid black layer on top and add the Saturation effect, it helps to see what pops up and what is lost in the background.

On your page it toke a half a minute to load the background image animation. I´v a crappy connection but even do you might be losing some page views.

Yeah, I've tried the B&W thing. Still tweaking colors.

As for the website, I think it's not caching the low-res images for the gallery and that's slowing things down. The video itself streams from YouTube, so should already be adjusting for your connection speed.

Thanks for reminding me there's an issue though .

• Wow! It's been awhile since I've posted an update here. So, time to fix that!

For the last few months I've been cranking hard on Sombrero, while bringing it to various East Coast events to show off and get feedback from those who matter: Gamers!

And on that note, here's 20 minutes of gamers enjoying the latest update to Sombrero at GameACon, a new indie game show in Atlantic City, NJ:

The most recent additions are a new stage, while all of the older stages have been tweaked, new characters and powerups have been added, and a new 2D lighting system that takes advantage of texture rendering and different masked blend modes (like Source Atop) that can to help give it some depth instead of just slapping a circle on top and setting the blending mode to additive.

There's still a few bugs, mostly in the GUI/in-game HUD, but otherwise Sombrero is bug free.

Another exciting piece of info is Sombrero's approval for Microsoft's IDaqr@XBox program, meaning that if all goes as planned, Sombrero will be coming to XBox One as a Universal App! Microsoft has been great to work with and I look forward to continuing that relationship as Sombrero nears release for early 2016.

Did I mention user-generated content is also supported for new stages? In hopefully not too long a time, Ashley will work out C2's Steam support so I can add Steam Workshop to make downloading and adding new stages easier for those who purchase the game.

• Seems sooo funny to play with the gang.

• digitalsoapbox Great work on Sombrero! I like it Have you tried the game on xbox one? Is the process of exporting it from C2 to xbox easy or do you have to do a lot of workarounds?

• digitalsoapbox Great work on Sombrero! I like it Have you tried the game on xbox one? Is the process of exporting it from C2 to xbox easy or do you have to do a lot of workarounds?

So far it's been pretty painless. Sadly, performance in Edge doesn't quite match up with NW.js in terms of physics/collisions, which seem to be dragging the framerate down when exporting as a Windows Universal App. This is also an issue on desktop with exporting to Windows 10 UA - at least, according to the Profiler in Visual Studio. I can't tell if it's an issue with C2 or with that export option itself, though I don't remember it occurring when exporting for Windows 8. Maybe Ashley is aware of some differences in the export process for 10 and could comment? There seems to be some shortcomings in C2's export for setting Window size/full-screen options in Win10 UA as well.

• Ok, thank you for the info. I don't use physics but I guess it might have some performance hickups anyway. I have never tried to export as an universal app so I'll have to experiment a bit. Does the C2 gamepad mapping translate correctly for you when played after export?

• Ok, thank you for the info. I don't use physics but I guess it might have some performance hickups anyway. I have never tried to export as an universal app so I'll have to experiment a bit. Does the C2 gamepad mapping translate correctly for you when played after export?

I'm not using much physics either, which is why I think it's probably something to do with collisions. C2 gamepad mapping translates correctly for the main face buttons, analog sticks, bumper/trigger & d-pad but not for the additional buttons on the gamepad like the xbox symbol, which it doesn't really handle properly on desktop either.

The biggest issue I'm running into right now - and it's a C2-specific issue - is that support is just flat-out broken for Edge, and it tosses an error when even an empty C2 project is launched. This, of course, causes problems on the UA builds, because it's using the Edge webview. Hopefully this will be resolved in an upcoming C2 update.

• Ok, I see. Good that the controls translates correctly but too bad that there is a performance issue to overcome as usual Hopefully this and the edge problem will be sorted out so we can get our games on more platforms.

Thanks you the info and best of luck on the rest with the development!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)