Archer (Working title) Devlog.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Various fantasy RPG characters sprites for creating a 2D platformer or sidescroller game.
  • Ooh! Me likes the characters! Tribal skill? The poison arrow was a great idea. I vote for that one!

• Thanks guys. I'm not sure a poison arrow will work unless i change the mechanics though. So far every shot is a one shot kill, so poison won't be much good as a long term effect. I did this to simplify the game and to remove the need of health and potions/healing. Once you get hit you just respawn. So it has to be some kind of active ability that you use on tap. Like the thief has Dash, to make a quick move, either to avoid arrows or to get somewhere quickly.

Some ideas i've gathered for the various characters that i think could work. I have to figure out which ones fits which class, or maybe you could select between several skills at character selection.

Smoke bomb - dissapear in a mist of smoke, (invisibility/camo),

Catch arrow - hightened reflexes for a short period allows you to catch an arrow shot at you.

Place trap - Place a beartrap to have people stuck for a few seconds.

Magic forcefield - absorbs arrows for a short period.

Tracking - See footsteps or whereabouts of other players,

Place a dummy - Places a dummy that looks like you.

Dematerialize - Arrows go through you for a few seconds.

Lob arrow - A high arcing arrow to hit people hiding behind scenery

Tripple Shot - Fire 3 arrows at once in a small arc.

Spectral arrow - A ghostly arrow to use in case you run out, or to save arrows.

Storm - Deflects arrows for short period.

Blinding explosion - Other players get blinded and have a hard time to aim correctly.

Bonepile - (For upcoming skeletal archer), turn in to a pile of bones, avoiding arrows.

Petrify - (For upcoming gorgon archer), turn opponent to stone for a short while.

Teleport - To a random "safe" location/spawnpoint on the map..

• Trying out adding some realtime soft shadows to all solid objects in scene. Adds a bit more depth.

• Trying out adding some realtime soft shadows to all solid objects in scene. Adds a bit more depth.

Much better with the shadows. Keep them in if there's not a noticeable performance hit.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Looks amazing, good luck!

• *** New Performance TEST ***

New build up with a lot more objects and soft shadows. Feel free to try from a mobile device on... http://www.tunepunk.com/arrowheads Click debug and please report:

CPU : Min, Max, Average.

FPS: Min, Max, Average.

Phone/Tablet Model:

Browser:

If you wish to participate in future playtests, please join the playtest group on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/arrowheads.playtest/

• Ok I was trying it out on my PC , how do you move the character?

• PixelPower it's done for mobile/tablets so you have to try on a device with touch.

• PixelPower it's done for mobile/tablets so you have to try on a device with touch.

Ok cool I will try the game on my device then.

• I can't remember if I said this before, but I love your minimalist character design.

• I can't remember if I said this before, but I love your minimalist character design.

Haha, thanks I'm quite happy with the result. Sometimes less is more. My initial sketches looked a bit different. This is one of the first sketches i did for one of the character, before i settled for the more minimalistic style.

Mainly because I was lazy.... A lot of my design decisions for this game are based on laziness.

Simple flat style characters = No rigging, skinning, texturing.

Simple objects = No details, no textures, no long render times.

Multiplayer Game = I don't wanna spend a lot of time creating, enemies, AI, storyline, interactive objects, etc etc.

We'll partly laziness, and because I'm only 1 person doing my first game, so I wanna release before 2038 at least. :p

• Those shadows look great. Also, may I suggest using licecap? I've been using it record gifs, and the quality it gives me is really wonderful.

• looks interesting... I agree with taistelusopuli replace letter o with the skull and pierce the arrow through the whole word. About your logo try to isometric the word tune and make the word punk its shadow. Try adding female variants to the roster, instead of one huntress that looks like robin hood. That will increase no. of players to 8, instead of 4. You can also give each variant a unique skill. looking forward to your game. All the best.

• looks interesting... I agree with taistelusopuli replace letter o with the skull and pierce the arrow through the whole word. About your logo try to isometric the word tune and make the word punk its shadow. Try adding female variants to the roster, instead of one huntress that looks like robin hood. That will increase no. of players to 8, instead of 4. You can also give each variant a unique skill. looking forward to your game. All the best.

Yeah I'm going to polish up some of the stuff later. But for the characters Maybe I will add both female and male versions of them all later but for now I need to keep it simple. Making a game for mobile i need to keep an eye on the memory budget and performance, so I keep adding more stuff slowly as I go. Don't wanna release a laggy/crashing game.

• #&#!? Apparently there's another studio making a game called same as mine, i just found out. So I might be needing a new name. *sigh*

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)