NW0.13.alpha5 Testing Report **Alpha6 Works!!**

0 favourites
  • I fixed by just telling the game to move and stay for 1 dt in the game layout without loading, and then load the save, instead of loading directly from the main menu layout

• One last issue: the small pop-up triggering when right mouse clicking on button objects (yes, yes, i know default button objects are crap and i should make custom ones, but it's a bit late now xD).

Is there any way to disable it? Should i add any args In the export package-win.json to do the trick? (and if yes, how? )

• Danwood

Make custom ones. Never have those weird issues again.

• Danwood

Could you still report this as a bug? (even though you found a workaround). It sounds like something a lot of people might run into.

• Eisenhans

I'm trying to reproduce it in a new project to make a report, but apparently it doesn't kick in, so it's just my project probably, or i'm doing something wrong.

• Danwood

Make custom ones. Never have those weird issues again.

-_______________-

• > Except the save issue, how is NW 0.13 ? It is better than the last versions ?

>

> Even though I'm migrating to Unity, in the meantime I would like to test the market with different games and C2 makes that easy.

>

> And to be honest if we are waiting a little more, probably will not need NW at all: Edge on Win10 is smoking fast (and probably on WindowsPhone 10), Safari on iPhone/iPad works great... Probably we will need NW only on Android and older systems.

>

0.13 is about 20-25% faster on performance, using cpuutilisation as a metric for my own testing.

It doesn't suffer stutter (minus asset loading, which you can control via loading on start of layout).

We we still need a wrapper to make stand-alone .exe games for PC/MAC.

Almost 25% performance increase sounds good As for the wrapper I was referring to the increased size that NW brings (about +80 MB). Windows 10 Edge and iOS8/9 Safari run very good HTML5 by default, the wrapper only needs to "embed" the game. On the other hand, on Android you still get at least +30MB for a Flappy Bird game and Cocoon.io that seemed great (better performance and only +10MB increased size) has blow it up with it's limitations and prices.

Construct 2 is great, but I would still not recommend it for bigger games (even if it has been proven to be able to make them), and for smaller games ignoring the performance you still have to add the size of the wrapper.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Construct 2 is great, but I would still not recommend it for bigger games (even if it has been proven to be able to make them), and for smaller games ignoring the performance you still have to add the size of the wrapper.

This... If improving the workflow and user friendlyness towards bigger projects is not a priority for Construct 3, I can gurantee I'll be looking elsewhere for future projects.

• tgeorgemihai

Oh yeah, HTML5 is extremely fast on Safari, without needing a bloated wrapper as well so app-size is whatever your game is. It's a nice situation for iOS definitely.

Android 5+ gets this performance improvement as well as not needing a wrapper since its on more recent system webview Chromium. It's ~25% of the Android market now. In a sense, publishing to Android 5+ is a good idea since it limits old crap generic devices crashing on your games and users leaving a 1 star review "crashed". I'm biased against Android though, I just don't see it as a platform that's friendly for small time indies breaking through. iOS and Steam for example, show newly released games based on date. Android doesn't, it only has "Top New" lists which requires marketing grunt to get onto, else nobody will find your app.

So currently the big wrapper is only needed on mobiles with older Android versions & PC, which isn't that big a deal.

With NW improved on memory management and working vsync, C2 is good even for bigger games. I just hope the situation remains good and improves. We do not want major chromium bugs to neuter C2 for months on end ever again. That's the biggest risk with C2, hoping that Google doesn't accidentally break your games.

• With NW improved on memory management and working vsync, C2 is good even for bigger games. I just hope the situation remains good and improves. We do not want major chromium bugs to neuter C2 for months on end ever again. That's the biggest risk with C2, hoping that Google doesn't accidentally break your games.

+1

This update is a real blessing for us Silver

• I agree this sounds like great news!

• tgeorgemihai

NW improved on memory management and working vsync, C2 is good even for bigger games. I just hope the situation remains good and improves. We do not want major chromium bugs to neuter C2 for months on end ever again. That's the biggest risk with C2, hoping that Google doesn't accidentally break your games.

Wouldn't the solution in that situation be simply to export without updating NW.JS?

• Wouldn't the solution in that situation be simply to export without updating NW.JS?

Yes, if the current NW is functional, no bugs etc, we'll just stick with it like we stuck with 10.5 for so long despite its memory leak problem.

But then we will miss out on performance enhancements, compatibility etc as HTML5 is an evolving platform. Just be cautious that Google can and do mess up software updates.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)