Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • it's not that one thing going on though.. you could have a bunch of "while true" stuff going on that's eating CPU Cycles.. I don't know your game. There are other optimizations as well that could be applied that maybe were not.

I agree I'd rather have a tool that can build things easily and efficient and maybe not have the best performance for now..

However the issue I have with Construct 2 / Mobile is that it's very unstable and unregulated. The need for mobile and reliable mobile publishing is only going to increase not decrease. The fact that there is a choice is great, but not if both choices are unreliable / in various states of broken.. relying on 3rd party plugins for features that are not even actively supported.. it's a nightmare.

expecting a developer to try both and see which works is unacceptable.. these tools have plenty of little "gotchas" sprinkled throughout them that takes time and frustration.. but IF someone take ownership of these services and can validate things are working (even if they are not for you) it can be very helpful in knowing the user is not spinning their wheels for no reason..

I have found it extremely helpful (to Sang Ki's credit) that he includes a sample capx of each plugin.. this way a user can test them this way before putting the plugin in their game. If Scirra created their own cordova plugins (they were not interested in working with Sang Ki for whatever reason) then we would know they are supported and tested.

If they tell us which platform they tested them with.. then we know that they work for someone else and that can be very helpful. Human error is easy to encounter with the publishing process but all the more reason why Scirra owning the exporting / plugin pipeline would be tremendously helpful.

I'm not advocating they make native apps, but I am advocating that Construct 2 can't say "publishes to *iOS / *Android" without some kind of * next to it saying..

"*You are likely in for a miserable experience, but we don't care. not our problem, Good luck - Scirra"

would be much more accurate.

• Well, I don't think we need native, we just need a good wrapper.

• exactly.. i do wish cocoon io supported windows phone.. but i do understand why they don't.. heh

• exactly.. i do wish cocoon io supported windows phone.. but i do understand why they don't.. heh

i wish windows phone would drop support for windows phone

• lol, i dunno it's an ok device.. we've had some games get downloads and such.. in some ways it can be a good market if you partner with someone like Nokia.. not saying we've done this yet.. but we could approach them if one of our apps feels worthwhile. they still have lots of users.. and sometimes less content to compete with can be good.

• but yea if it went away i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• part12studios EDIT: I fixed a problem entirely by trail and error, this is what I was experiencing: "what's your experience with the ads plugin? I've got an issue on a layout where the ads are permanently refreshing every half second, and I have no idea what it is. Could be magic, could be the active layer, could be any number of issues, but I can't pinpoint what's causing it".

I also can't for the life of me get leaderboards to do anything when they're called. Without Cocoon.io having a decent support community, there's not going to be much life in it for other developers. Hell, I've paid for a month of the basic just to get fast compile times but it doesn't do me any good if there's no support unless you pay top whack for it.

• Zebbi actually i have experienced the same issue.. and it was causing some performance problems with my game. it seems to calm down after awhile..

but yes I don't have a fix for that.. it might be something we need to bring up to Cocoon IO because that's the plugin i'm using for it, not the Cranberry one.

I'm glad you said something because I was wondering if it was just me. I know that my condition is a one time trigger.. so i don't think my game is doing some kind of "load ad" over and over.. but maybe somewhere in the code of the plugin it is.

Post something on the forum about it if you haven't already. I'll reply that I'm experiencing the issue too. I'm pretty sure the issue is the plugin. on the thread if you can too so i get pulled into the conversation.

I will say that if you have a chance.. try the example plugin.. remember sometimes things dont' work right in our game but might work right in a basic example which gives us the proof we need that it's possible, just maybe our approach in our game is wrong (though it seems right)

Thanks!

Caleb

• Zebbi actually i have experienced the same issue.. and it was causing some performance problems with my game. it seems to calm down after awhile..

but yes I don't have a fix for that.. it might be something we need to bring up to Cocoon IO because that's the plugin i'm using for it, not the Cranberry one.

I'm glad you said something because I was wondering if it was just me. I know that my condition is a one time trigger.. so i don't think my game is doing some kind of "load ad" over and over.. but maybe somewhere in the code of the plugin it is.

Post something on the forum about it if you haven't already. I'll reply that I'm experiencing the issue too. I'm pretty sure the issue is the plugin. on the thread if you can too so i get pulled into the conversation.

I will say that if you have a chance.. try the example plugin.. remember sometimes things dont' work right in our game but might work right in a basic example which gives us the proof we need that it's possible, just maybe our approach in our game is wrong (though it seems right)

Thanks!

Caleb

Okay, I fixed it, I have absolutely no idea how I did other than spending hours and hours rocking between different settings, and this one works okay:

-------------------------------

Start of Layout >

Hide Banner Ad

Load a Banner Ad

Set banner layout

Character Dies

Trigger Once >

Show the banner ad

-------------------------------

Still refreshes it once first which looks unprofessional, but it's better than it was.

• interesting solution! so the difference here is saying hide it first.. then load it.. set the banner position.. and then show it? interseting you position it before actually showing it

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • interesting solution! so the difference here is saying hide it first.. then load it.. set the banner position.. and then show it? interseting you position it before actually showing it

Well, I've always wanted it hiding then showing when the player loses, but for some reason this combination fixed it from refreshing and refreshing as soon as it gets a new ad. Can't get leaderboards to work whatsoever though and that developer app of theirs isn't any use, just told me that letterbox scaling is unsupported and loaded a bunch of plugins in the log.

• hey i got a tip from Sang Ki that might help us with some of these issues.. try making your game with webview.. not canvas + yes i know this might have other issues, but just try it. canvas + is a kind of hybrid creation of cocoon io..

because it does do it's own thing in some areas.. compatibility problems with plugins / functions CAN crop up.. might even fix the refresh issue.. i'm going to test my screen capture plugin from sang ki now to see if that makes any differnce..

• just remember that of course using webview or webview+ means the canvas+ plugin is no longer a thing..

• hey i got a tip from Sang Ki that might help us with some of these issues.. try making your game with webview.. not canvas + yes i know this might have other issues, but just try it. canvas + is a kind of hybrid creation of cocoon io..

because it does do it's own thing in some areas.. compatibility problems with plugins / functions CAN crop up.. might even fix the refresh issue.. i'm going to test my screen capture plugin from sang ki now to see if that makes any differnce..

Isn't the performance on webview worse than canvas+? I think we need performance to be at the absolute best it can be, it's slow enough trying to use html5 on smartphones as it is, very difficult to get solid 60fps for any longer than a second or so before it drops in canvas+.

you got a tip from Sang Ki? how did you manage that?

just remember that of course using webview or webview+ means the canvas+ plugin is no longer a thing..

Not currently using it as I thinned my events down as much as possible to try and get ads working correctly.

• yes performance might be not as great.. but don't assume it means bad... different kinds of game logic and movement require different kind of performance.. i haven't seen your game.. but what i am saying is try it.. if you can confirm it works in one and not the other this helps give you ammo to go to Cocoon IO support and say.. "hey guys this doesn't work, can you fix it?"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)