Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Cocoon.io is pretty good yes. Very nice results by far.

But the pricing is seriously too high for me. I make games with lots of assets. I will be over 120mo.

So it will cost me 838$ annually or 89.90$ monthly because of the size of my game.

Too expensive for me right now...

• Cocoon.io is pretty good yes. Very nice results by far.

But the pricing is seriously too high for me. I make games with lots of assets. I will be over 120mo.

So it will cost me 838$ annually or 89.90$ monthly because of the size of my game.

Too expensive for me right now...

You can have two projects with the free account.

• Yes. Two projects of 50mb max.

• Sorry, KaMiZoTo

You wrote 120mo, so I was like: "What the heck is that?" Since I'm use to reading it as "mb"

Yeah, you would need another plan. I hope you complete your game to its fullest!

• What keeps me away from using Cocoon.io is the lack of a loading screen, immediately after their splash screen. A completely black screen for several seconds gives the user the impression that the game has crashed and in my opinion it looks really bad. Until this get solved I will continue to use the IntelXDK path.

yes the delay with the black screen same here too

• seopolis and ,

This is why when you create your splash screen, have a "Loading" sprite under whatever your logo is AND make the delay time for your splash screen as long as it needs to be for your game to load.

My game takes about 15 seconds to load fully. Therefore I have a 15 Second delay time. The splash Screen ends and my game instantly pops up.

So the reason you've got Black Screen, is simply because you haven't given enough time for your game to load!

• you use the same export option.. glerikud unfortunately Scirra is staying neutral..

however what is nice about Cocoon IO is that they are making their own plugins..

XDK forces you to rely on unsupported plugins from Cranberry and other unregulated plugins... which really really (really) sucks..

Cocoon IO doesn't have every solution solved yet, but if they see more Construct 2 users using the service and are paying customers priorities will change. I'm going to sign up for the silver service. roughly $10 a month, but i'm sure even if they just see more construct 2 devs using the tool they will know the plugins are not a waste of time..

I respect the devs over at XDK and have had direct support from Ian and others, but Sang Ki (Cranberry) has become more and more detached from his plugin work. He rarely replies to inquiries on his forum page and isn't doing updates without direct paid requests from the community. I'm not saying the $5 he's asking for an update is unfair but people are cheap and so I think people just get frustrated trying to make broken / outdated plugins work and when they don't, give up, or do without.

Fortunately Cocoon IO has the most urgent ones.. IAP and Ads. They also have game center and google play services. so yea this is good.

• > What keeps me away from using Cocoon.io is the lack of a loading screen, immediately after their splash screen. A completely black screen for several seconds gives the user the impression that the game has crashed and in my opinion it looks really bad. Until this get solved I will continue to use the IntelXDK path.

>

yes the delay with the black screen same here too

That's weird, I tested a few of my games and I don't have that issue at all. It immediately goes to my splashscreen right after cocoon's. My game files and memory usage are all quite small, so could it be because of that?

I don't think C2 will recommend CocoonIO as their default export option for one single reason, it's free version is limited. I think we can all imagine the headache of having to explain in their C2 sales pitch about it.

• well that's why Scirra really needs to come up with their on built in iOS/Android solution.. it's very misleading.. sure you can use XDK which is "free" but oh..

i'm sorry did you want to make money with your game? well.. then you're on your own..

Go figure out cranberry's plugins.. hope they work.. get XDK.. hope that the version you have correctly works with the plugin(s) you need.. and hope an update doesn't break it next time you need to do an update..

Volkan and I who frequented the Sang Ki plugin G+ page were pretty much accepting that you cannot be a professional game developer and use XDK with C2.. too many moving parts.. C2 updates.. cranberry updates (or lack of).. xdk updates.. it just seems like just when you think you got everything working.. something breaks.. and you're back to troubleshooting..

I'm not saying Cocoon IO is perfect in every way and will never offer setbacks, but at least they are offering C2 plugins to use their service.. they offer a free (albeit with some limitations) option that should meet most beginners needs. The paid tiers assume that at that point you're ready to make apps that can themselves make money.

This whole argument though that "things cost money? wtf?!" is lame.. if you want to find free tools.. go become a programmer and figure out all that shit on your own.. You need to realize that your working inside of tools that developers have to make work... those developers have to get paid to support that work.. no one owes you a damn thing.. you paid for C2.. personally i think it's too cheap.. but that's up to Ashley.. however part of why it's cheap is because Ashley doesn't have to figure out the pain in the ass world of mobile publishing.. he's smart in distancing himself from this part of it..

and where he stops.. someone else is stepping in.. offering a solution.. and yes that solution costs money.. XDK is basically intel's attempt to get more x86 support because their asses are getting kicked by ARM processors.. they don't want to see the HTML5 community have no x86 processor export options for devices using their hardware.. but ultimately they are not concerned about Construct 2 devs.. they are working with coders most of the time.. coders who know how to fix errors.. because they are programmers!

We do not have that luxury.. we're using C2 because we don't want to code.. or code a hell of a lot less.. a developer usually makes $50-$150 an hour.. so your big purchase of $120 for silver cocoon io covers 2-3 hours of some developer's paycheck..

Sang Ki sold a butt load of plugins for next to nothing.. and free updates.. if anyone thinks he was making bank on that is kidding himself.. i'd be surprised if he broke 3 figures on his plugin sales given the number of developers on the G+ forum.. work that consisted of many many man hours to develop / test and promote / support..

KaMiZoTo i do feel for your situation.. that is a big price for the size of the games.. you might consider writing them and just say.. look i want your service but the size thing is a problem.. you may be surprised. This isn't some 1000 team company.. I'm sure they'd rather have you using their tech and make a little less money than losing you altogether over that. maybe more storage but less projects? you could negotiate something.

• lol

• I don't think C2 will recommend CocoonIO as their default export option for one single reason, it's free version is limited. I think we can all imagine the headache of having to explain in their C2 sales pitch about it.

They don't have to make it the default export option for mobile. It would be enough (and imho necessary) to just support it offically.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • They don't have to make it the default export option for mobile. It would be enough (and imho necessary) to just support it offically.

It would be great if Scirra acknowledged that Cocoon is a great alternative now, especially considering how much it has improved over the years and Intel has sadly not, but I don't really understand what you mean by supporting it officially?

• It would be great if Scirra acknowledged that Cocoon is a great alternative now, especially considering how much it has improved over the years and Intel has sadly not, but I don't really understand what you mean by supporting it officially?

I mean what you just said. You just found the right word for it: acknowledge. They should write a blog post about it, make an offical tutorial or something like that. The idea is to give the average developer a feeling that this export method is offically recommended, just like XDK so they feel like they have more options on mobile platforms.

• How that who be beneficial for scirra to advertise cocoon.io products. So you are saying that scirra most tell people to buy construct 2 for $125 BUT you only allow to compile two game unless you paid cocoon more money, how scirra benefit from that

• How that who be beneficial for scirra to advertise cocoon.io products. So you are saying that scirra most tell people to buy construct 2 for $125 BUT you only allow to compile two game unless you paid cocoon more money, how scirra benefit from that

You misunderstood me. I'm just saying that if Scirra sees Cocoon.IO as a working alternative to XDK then they should tell the users about it. I'm not saying that they should encourage you to spend more money on the Cocoon.IO service. This is a thing only you can decide based on your impression. However Scirra would benefit by telling the users: "Hey, it's an other exporting solution that we support for mobile!"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)