[Plugin] Photon Cloud

From the Asset Store
Basic Plugins for Firebase Authentication, Realtime-Database, Firestore, Cloud Storage
  • We will support C2 long term :].

Cool...

• Hi all,

Since it seems the standard Multiplayer object from Scirra is not working properly with players in different networks (except LAN), I would like to start using this plug-in in Construct 2.

Is there any complete tutorial step-by-step and for begginers about how to start to use it?

Any good and basic example regarding how to implement a multiplayer game?

Thanks in advance!

A slight correction. The MP plugin works online, not just on LAN. I've been able to transmit data between two computers in different cities. It works fine, but not on mobile networks. On mobile networks, you can read the rooms available, but connecting to a room, which would be another device, crashes the connection.

• Has anyone already tried to export a multiplayer game based on the photon plugin as ios-app and confirmed it works on ios?

• ThePhotons hey guys ~ any luck on that NW.JS fix? Still waiting on it

• Sorry. NW.JS is not fixed yet. I hope server guys will have a time for the issue soon.

• Has anyone already tried to export a multiplayer game based on the photon plugin as ios-app and confirmed it works on ios?

Did you search the topic for 'ios' keyword?

• ThePhotons I have a question for you and your framework...

Using the Multiplayer C2 plugin, I've tried in the past to set up a peer-to-peer chat program. The first person to join a room was always the HOST broadcasting messages from a client to all the others. My goal was that this would be able to run on mobile devices, but, I found that if the mobile device acting as the server ever minimizes my app, I'd have about a minute or so before the connection is dropped all together, and as such, so are the rest of the PEERS in the room. Most likely in effort to save power/battery consumption.

Now, where you come in....

Can I use the Photon cloud plugin/service to maintain a connection between PEERS such that one client doesn't need to take on the role of HOST (broadcasting everyone's messages to the rest of the PEERS and taking the hole connection down when them minimize my app?

It has been suggested in the past instead that I should have a dedicated physical (or virtual) server that mobile clients can connect to -- can your plugin provide this?

Please let me know.

Cheers!

-Remy

• How websocket processed and how frequently javascript gets called in background depends on platform which you use. Photon lib can't do much with it. For instance, as far as I know, browsers in background decrease javascript call rate to 1 per sec. That still allows to keep connection to the server but not enough to run game logic as master client. I guess master client should disconnect by itself when app goes to background.

Photon supports self-hosted servers. But you can't connect to such servers with plugin currently. I think we will add self-hosted support in course of time.

• Sorry. NW.JS is not fixed yet. I hope server guys will have a time for the issue soon.

Tried today to see if it's working and... surprise! NW.js export works flawlessly with Photon plugin. Nice!

NOTE: using Construct 2 r221

• Does the photon plugin work with a cordova export? Will it work on iOS and android through cordova?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Tried today to see if it's working and... surprise! NW.js export works flawlessly with Photon plugin. Nice!

es, server was updated recently with fixed version. We are still working on couple of websocket issues which may arise on some clients.

• Does the photon plugin work with a cordova export? Will it work on iOS and android through cordova?

e did not test this yet. Did you? It should work in theory as any other javascript app.

• Now plugin and demos available as Photon Scirra SDK: https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/Real ... construct2

It's the same plugin as before except that self-hosted servers support added (which is not very useful until Photon server v4 is available). So you most likely do not need to update.

• Is there any tutorial whatsoever on how to use this plugin, past the basic installation? It's completely different from the c2 multiplayer plugin in terms of actions, so I can't really guess what everything does. I would have though someone would have written on by now, especially since it's been available for over a year.

• Now plugin and demos available as Photon Scirra SDK: https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/Real ... construct2

It's the same plugin as before except that self-hosted servers support added (which is not very useful until Photon server v4 is available). So you most likely do not need to update.

..."which is not very useful until Photon server v4 is available)" ... When will that be ThePhotons?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)