citron2010's Forum Posts

  • Pretty sure you can’t - you’ll have to recreate them.

  • ChatGPT suggested temporarily disabling the Steam overlay by moving D3D11Overlay_x64.ext.dll out of the game's directory.

    Now, Steam Remote Play Together shows the game on the guest, but I still can't play because:

    "input is temporarily disabled whilst the host is busy" - but the host isn't busy

    So I made a build without the "export for Steam" option, but see the same thing.

    ChatGPT seems to suggest that the overlay is required to pass input from the guest back to the host, so I'm currently stumped.

  • It was introduced in one of the recent betas.

  • It was ChatGPT that suggested trying tiled backgrounds, but I scrapped that idea for the reasons explained above!

    It did also suggest using canvases, but warned that it might consume more memory than sprites.

    My ultimate aim is to be able to display maybe up to 50 photographs one at a time and try to avoid delays either preloading them all or the delay pulling them back from local storage when loading on demand. I'm currently doing the latter and there's a slight delay which is why I'm considering preloading just the next and previous ones whilst the current one is being displayed.

  • I'm doing this in a new project - I had some issues and documented them here:

    construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/how-do-i-8/load-multiple-textures-187961

    Might be of use?

  • Hi,

    I've exported from the latest beta with the new "export for steam" export option enabled but can't get Steam Remote Play working - just get a black screen and no sound on the guest machine. I tried a different, non-Construct game and it worked perfectly. Just wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible and if so, whether there's anything I can configure in the project or on either the host or guest machines?

    Thanks!

  • I'm having problems using tiled backgrounds.

    Firstly, there's no "resize to image" option when loading an image into the tiled background instance from a URL. I tried creating a sprite first that does have "resize to image", then setting the tiled background instance to the same size. Then I realised that setting the size of the tiled background only changes its bounding box and doesn't zoom in/out! Then I got stuck calculating the correct scale so that the image fits perfectly into the bounding box.

    But the main problem is that it takes several seconds to load everything - particularly now that I'm having to load the sprite first.

    So I think I'm going to revert to my original solution which is to only load the picture into the sprite on demand - there's small delay here (which is what I was trying to avoid by trying to load them all up front). I'm also going to try preloading the previous and next pictures whilst the current one is being viewed.

  • You can do this...

    Thanks for this - I did consider adding as new frames or animations but was concerned about sizing so I'm now trying with tiled backgrounds - I'll see how that goes and might revert back to a single sprite.

    One issue I've encountered with loading tiled backgrounds from a URL is that there's no "resize to image" option, so at the moment, I'm loading the image into a sprite, then resizing the tile map to the sprite's dimension, then loading the image into the tile, then destroying the sprite!

    I'll report back here when I have a fully working solution!

  • Thanks - just a note - it seems to be the capitalization of the "I" that matters - if it's lowercase, the error isn't shown.

  • I’m building a game where I want to download images from a back end which isn’t ready.

    Instead, I’ve added them as project files so I can use AJAX to retrieve them.

    When the back end’s ready, I’ll update the AJAX request’s URLs.

    I also want to save the images to local storage.

    (I’m using a Binary Data object for the local storage and AJAX requests.)

    So the flow is:

    1. Does the image exist in local storage?
    2. No? Request it from AJAX
    3. When it’s returned from AJAX, write it to local storage.
    4. When it’s written to local storage, request it back.
    5. If it does already exist in local storage, request it.
    6. When the request from local storage is complete (from either of the two routes above) create sprite.
    7. When the sprite’s created, load its texture from the picture returned from local storage.

    This works for the first image loaded, but when it does it for the second, it also overwrites the texture of the first and so on. I'm picking the sprite to load the texture into based on "on created" and confirm that only one sprite is selected by writing pickedCount to the console.

    Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

    Minimal reproducable project:

    drive.google.com/file/d/1Jr40AlfrJyxgY3jSjtBM37ua876FNqTH/view

    EDIT - I though reusing the same binaryData Object for both AJAX and local storage might be the issue, but if I remove local storage entirely and just download the file every time and load it straight into the sprite, the same thing happens.

    EDIT 2 - Ok, I'm being dumb - instances of a sprite can't have different textures.

    So can anyone suggest how I can best handle this? Different frames? If I need to download 50 images, would that cause size/performance issues?

    EDIT 3 - editing that test project to use tiled backgrounds instead of sprites appears to work - will try that for real...

  • Try Construct 3

    Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

    Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Not sure whether this is even worth raising a bug for - but it took me several hours to track down, so I thought I'd document here just in case anyone else sees this error when trying to build an xcode project:

    ERROR: Failed to load texture: Error: fetch 'app://localhost/images/shared-0-sheet0.webp' response returned 404

    Turns out that if you have just a folder named "Images" (with a capital "I") that contains an image and a regular sprite in a project, the sprite's texture won't load with the above error.

  • Just thought I'd add my experience:

    My laptop's not powerful enough to record using OBS, so I export to iOS and record on either an iPhone or iPad using their native screen recorder.

    But...iOS 26 screwed this up - recording on the iPad now records at native resolution (previously it was half resolution) and when recording C3 games, the recording jitters. Same on the iPhone even though the resolution is the same as in iOS 18. Recording other games doesn't result in jittering, so I wonder if it's related to WKWebView?

    A solution is to use medal.tv's app which has its own screen recorder. iPad recordings are now back at half resolution (which is fine for me) but doesn't jitter. iPhone recordings are at the same resolution but don't jitter either.

    I use CapCut for editing as I found it's the most intuitive, free video editor.

  • Testing in r470 beta

    Re: this error (case error in my original post was my typo):

    Cannot find declaration for 'NSObject', superclass of 'FileUtility'

    ChatGPT told me to add:

    #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

    To the start of FileUtility.h in /Plugins/cordova-plugin-purchase

    Which presumably is the MobileIAP plugin

    And this fixed the issue.

    Note that neither Viewport fit = "auto" or "cover" hides the status bar on an iPad 10th gen.

    The only difference is that with “auto”, the status bar is on its own space at the top of the screen whereas with “cover” it overlaps the game’s screen

    No status bar is shown on an iPhone 15 using either “auto” or “cover” – and their behaviour is exactly as expected (“auto” uses the safe area whilst “cover” displays under the dynamic island and rounded corners).

    Let me know if you need issues raising for either!

  • Testing with a minimal project with r470 beta seems to show that neither viewport fit = "auto" or "cover" hide the status bar on an 10th gen iPad:

    auto:

    iPad 10 shows the status bar

    iPhone 15 doesn't show the status bar and sticks to the safe area

    cover:

    iPad 10 shows the status bar

    iPhone 15 doesn't show the status bar and displays underneath the dynamic island and rounded corners

    Fortunately the project does build OK - so next step is to troubleshoot why my project doesn't...

  • Checking 'Hide status bar' exported exactly the same thing as setting the project 'Viewport fit' to 'Cover'.

    I've just tried this and found that viewport fit and hide status bar options are independent and do exactly what they say.

    Specifically (viewport fit / hide status bar):

    auto/true

    This works for me - no status bar and the layout isn't under the rounded corners or dynamic island on an iPhone 15.

    auto/false

    No good - status bar appears on an iPad 10 (but for some reason not on an iPhone 15)

    cover/true

    No good - layout is underneath an iPhone 15's rounded corners and dynamic island

    cover/false

    Doubly no good - layout is underneath an iPhone 15's rounded corners and dynamic island & status bar is visible on iPad 10

    Maybe there's something weird with my project - I'll try with a minimal one - and will also try to replicate the build error with the beta...