Advanced Camera Plugin (Updated: 09/21 - v0.93b)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Set of 21 Food plus 6 boards, for different kind of games
  • Yea!

• Sure. Here's the compiled version with the music.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/167571/FattieAdventure.exe

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sure. Here's the compiled version with the music.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/167571/FattieAdventure.exe

Okay, I get the problem as well. Where in your code are you playing the music? Is it just in the "Start of layout" event? What format is the music in? I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it might.

NEW VERSION IS HERE!

Advanced Camera Plugin - v0.7b

Download Now(with example) - 149KB

Additions/Fixes/Changes

ADDITION - New grid scrolling feature. This offers the ability to have scrolling like in the Zelda and MegaMan series of games. Two types of grid scrolling are present; uniform grid scrolling, where each area is the same size, and variable grid scrolling, where each area is designated by a specified area object allowing for different sized areas of scrolling.

FIX - Some typos fixed.

The ZIP file includes an example of the variable grid scrolling type. It should get across how to use it clearly enough, but I'll explain a little.

Pseudo-Documentation:

In the "Grid Scrolling - Variable Size" action you are asked to specify which camera to use, the object that will cause the screen to scroll to the next area, the object type which will be used to specify areas, the scroll time, and whether or not to pause the game during scrolling or not.

The object which is used to scroll will generally be your character object. The screen will scroll when the middle part of this object -- regardless of hotspot -- comes into contact with a new area.

The area object is merely a large sprite which defines the borders of an area. These are placed in the layout editor. It is recommended that each area object be no smaller than the screen size. It's also recommended that areas don't overlap. If areas are overlapping and the player comes into contact with the overlapping section, you'll most likely start switching between the two areas endlessly.

And that covers the important parts. As usual, and especially in this case, be sure to report any bugs. If you find one, make sure to explain clearly how it happened, or, better yet, provide a CAP file with the problem.

Enjoy the new features!

• I think it's something related to Construct, then. I can hardly imagine that the your camera plugin could actually interfere with the sound system.

I managed to fix it, sort of. I had the music playing event in the "Start of layout" condition. What I did is I created a new condition, "Timer is Equal to 1" and put the music events in there. Now it works again

Also, I'll try out that new release! The new scrolling option sounds awesome ;D

• Tried it out. It looks awesome! I could even adjust the timing to be Castlevania: SOTN-style, though if only I could make it black out momenterily to make the transition obvious, but, eh, it works. Out of curiosity, would there be a way to make everything on a particular grid object respawn as soon as you change screens, like how monsters respawn in SOTN when you change rooms?

Edit: Also, I noticed... When you enter another grid that's above you from jumping up, the scroll doesn't work, it just switches instantly.

• Edit: Also, I noticed... When you enter another grid that's above you from jumping up, the scroll doesn't work, it just switches instantly.

+1

Tried it out too. It's a great plugin though! I'm sure this itty bitty problem can be fixed quite quickly

Edit:

Also, it seems that when the grid area is smaller than the view size (I think probably just the window size), it just jumps onto the new grid position without scrolling.

• Thanks for the comments, guys. I've fixed the problem when going off the top of an area, so I'll be releasing a new build before too long.

Also, it seems that when the grid area is smaller than the view size (I think probably just the window size), it just jumps onto the new grid position without scrolling.

This is actually one of the things I warn against, as mentioned in the pseudo-documentation I posted. You should always make the areas the same size or larger than the window size.

• This is actually one of the things I warn against, as mentioned in the pseudo-documentation I posted. You should always make the areas the same size or larger than the window size.

Oh, whoops. Skipped that bit of documentation. I thought it would've been nice though if it would scroll normally, but oh well ;D

• Hmm, first of all, I managed to really fix my problem Instead of playing it as music, I decided to make the music an external ogg file, which I loaded into a channel on loop. That loaded without any lag and there are no problems anymore. I think XAudio's music playing lag was causing the problem. At one point my sprite would just disappear.

One question though, when the camera scrolls into the next grid area, and pausing is enabled, the sound playing also pauses. Could it perhaps be made so that the sound doesn't pause? Or is there some other way around it, perhaps?

EDIT: Oh, and another small thing

• awww i luv u.

• Just downloaded and tried this out today. WOW!! The ACExamples.cap is simply amazing. I can't wait to try this stuff out in a game.

• This is really cool, if you're okay with it I'll use it in my game

• finally checked it out

very nice

especially the transition example

makes even the simple example scene look pretty dynamic

• Hi, Really Nice Plugin

I found a small bug though when the character on the platform example falls from any floor, you can still rotate characters angle even if the grid camera movement is stopping the gameplay, try to move character back and forth at that moment to see the bug.

If this can be fixed, or maybe add an event that checks when the action of grid camera movement is occuring, it may help for example add an action of ignore user input at that moment and that will make it look much better.

• Once again, thanks for all the comments. I'm glad a lot of you find this useful.

This is really cool, if you're okay with it I'll use it in my game

Go right ahead, that's what it's there for.

New version going up now!

Advanced Camera Plugin - v0.8b

Download Now(with example) - 149KB

Additions/Fixes/Changes

ADDITION - Two new conditions, "On Grid Scroll Start" and "On Grid Scroll End". The first condition triggers when the camera first starts scrolling into a new area, and the second condition triggers when the scroll into a new area ends.

FIX - Going off the top of the screen into a new grid area jumped instantly to the new area.

If this can be fixed, or maybe add an event that checks when the action of grid camera movement is occuring, it may help for example add an action of ignore user input at that moment and that will make it look much better.

Unfortunately, fixing that would be out of my control, but as you can see, I added two new actions like you suggested that will tell you when a scroll to a new area starts and when it ends. The "GridScrolling" CAP shows these two actions in action.

As usual, be sure to report all bugs and possible feature requests you have. Enjoy!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)