Issues with layering for Tile Map

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
slide the tiles to fill the board.60 awesome levels.
  • Hey friends! I'm having issues setting up the layers with the tile map. I have 3 layers, grass, dirt, and layer 1. (I'm gunna rename it later) I'm trying to put dirt above my grass but it's not working. As you can see the dirt is just replacing the grass. I think I'm just not selecting the layer right, but it looks like I am...?? Any thoughts?

Tagged:

• You should have 3 tilemaps on each player.

And becareful with the tilemap that you are select to put the tile on it.

• Hey Maverick1912, thanks for the response.

I just want to make sure I understand what you're suggesting.

So Should I create a tilemap for each layer?

For example, If I have grass, dirt, and trees in that order, I should create a tile map for each one?

• I must admit, I don't understand the problem. The dirt tilemap is on a layer above the grass tilemap, that's why dirt tiles are above the grass. What is wrong with this?

• ToeGap you said the dirt will replace grass tile, because you do on same tilemap, no matter how many layers that you have.

• Dop the dirt is probably supposed to be transparent and show the grass underneath.

You need to make sure you select the right tilemap instance on the right layer. You can lock the layers you're not working on to avoid accidentally selecting and modify then.

• Maverick1912 That's what I was misunderstanding, and I'm glad that's not the case. I would of hated to have created a tile map for every layer I have.

With that being said I'm still confused.

oosyrag I feel like I am selecting the right layers, but I did take your advice for locking the layers, so now I have just the dirt layer opened to be edited.

With that being said, I've clicked on the dirt layer that brought up its properties on the left side.

I then clicked on the tile map tab on the bottom right and see no tile map. I even tried clicking on "Tilemap"

under the projects section on the top right but still no tile map pops up on the tile map.

If I unlock the grass layer I'm able to see the tile map again on the tile map tab.

Hopefully that helps a little bit with finding the issue. Thanks for the help again in advance.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Also what I was originally trying was clicking on Tilemap on the Project window, then on the Properties window under COMMON I would select "Dirt" in the Layers option.

Obviously it didn't work, and also I realized it was changing the layer that has the grass from "Grass" layer to the "Dirt" layer. Weird.

• Okay another update. The only way I was able to get it working was to create another tile map object. So basically for each layer I'll have to create a duplicate tile map? That doest make sense.

Can I just create another tile map object under that layer and then use the same tile map? Right now I have Tilemap for "grass" layer, and Tilemap2 for "Dirt" Layer. I don't know that just sounds not practical if that is the solution.

• That's exactly what you want. Imagine each tilemap is a sheet of paper. Transparencies are holes. You'll need 2 sheets of paper if you want to see them through each other, otherwise you'll just be seeing the table.

You actually don't need layers, you can have both tilemap instances on the same layer. But layers give you some organizational tools.

• oosyrag Interesting, I guess that kinda makes sense. I don't want to be arrogant so I'll assume its for the best, although I don't recall other game engines doing it like this. I guess its just something to get use to. Thanks oosyrag!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)