How do I fix stutter when falling from a moving platform?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Template for an alternative to falling shapes, fully documented in comments and video
  • Has anyone ever faced this problem?

It looks like the engine keeps ejecting me updwards, I even tried forcing my character's position to go farther to the side and down, but still, the engine ejects me upwards, unless I make it completely forced, and then it just looks like the character teleported down.

This is not my only issue with moving platforms, but I'm extremely hopeful someone can enlight me on this specific issue, otherwise I can't think of any solution unless changing to some engine I can hardcode the collision behaviors.

As a side note, has anyone ever hardcoded their own collision inside construct? I have coded my own collisions before, but not using C3 engine, and I worry about performance.

I was considering going for something like P5.js hybrid inside C3.

• Yeah this is one of the quirks you'll have to deal with. Is this a solid or a jumpthrough platform? Either way the platform behavior has a bunch of quirks like this which aren't exactly fixable, because it works perfectly for project A but not for project B and fixing it for project B breaks project A.

In a way it even makes sense, the character steps off the platform, but the platform moves under the character before it can fall. Maybe you could try to add the platforms velocityX to the character when it steps off so the character sort of gets flung off at the same speed the platform moves, so the platform can't catch up to the character anymore?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If your animated sprite has the platform behavior the size and collision shape can be changing per frame which can lead to overlaps. Just hazarding a guess, construct’s collision resolution logic may not work well with pushing a concave shape out of something?

To make motion more stable you’d typically have the player be an invisible rectangle with the platform behavior, and the animations would be a different sprite positioned on top of it.

So you’d only want to do your own collision response if the performance was good, not if it worked better? Anyways you’d have to make it and see how it performs. Most custom collision response I’ve done seems fast enough.

Isn’t p5.js just a different engine? From what I’ve found different engines don’t play well together. But I guess you’ll see how true that is if you try it.

• WackyToaster This was my first instinct, you can even see in the gif that the moving platform has a number in it, this is how many pixels the platform moved, and I added that to the character, but unless I make it go down also, which looks not so good, because it appears to be teleporting, since I have to go beyond the midpoint in the hitbox, it won't work.

rojohound This is exactly what I'm doing, I have a box that moves around and then a sprite on top of it that I animate accordingly. I actually only did that trying to fix a wall glitch issue I posted here, but after making it so, the issue persisted, and so did this issue.

But either way, I deeply appreciate the feedback.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)