How can i make this Complicated LED system?

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • How can i make this type of LED in game? Where i can do things in LED mode. You can see this video.

youtu.be/0A6uakKIR0I

• I imagine this can be done quite easily with a big tilemap. Each tile is a colored circle. You can "draw" moving/rotating objects on the tilemap using invisible sprites. For example, a sprite of a car is moving over the tilemap with bullet behavior. The car has several frames (one for each color) and plays looping animation. On every tick check which tiles the car is overlapping and set these tiles to the current car color.

Or you can do the same with a big matrix of small sprites instead of the tilemap, but this may be worse for performance.

• i think of it as a single sprite for every color with small circles in it and a 2nd animation which will give a sense of led flickering.

• just make sprite for as many shapes you want

• Drago_18 If you look at 4:38 in the video for example, you'll see that when objects are rotating they change their shape. Even the number of circles in each shape is constantly changing. And all circles are always in grid pattern. So these are definitely not sprites.

It's a grid of circles that toggle visibility and changing their color to create animated images. Like a very low-resolution LED display.

• Well that doesn't mean they can't be sprites.

While it isn't ideal, Construct is well suited to working with a bunch of sprites in this way.

I would also gamble that for the "not so advanced" user, this may be the best way given that Construct will stear new users to use objects rather than math.

• The circles can be sprites, yes. What I mean is that big shapes (lines, rectangles etc.) are composed of these circles, and are not just single sprites with polka-dot pattern.

Here is a quick demo:

dropbox.com/s/58ofrk85na74djc/DotDisplay.capx

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The circles can be sprites, yes. What I mean is that big shapes (lines, rectangles etc.) are composed of these circles, and are not just single sprites with polka-dot pattern.

Here is a quick demo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/58ofrk85na74djc/DotDisplay.capx?dl=0

Thanks this is a great example.

• dop2000 This method is slow down mobile performance. do you know any other method?

can you show tilemap method?

Here is a quick demo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/58ofrk85na74djc/DotDisplay.capx?dl=0

what I was saying is make sprites for every shape type that you want to include in game composed of polka dots and another sprite corresponding to shape type for making the led animation where second sprite will have certain dots change color, position, scale , etc.

to make pattern similar to the one in your example, we can make additional sprites for animating it.

collision checks are taxing on mobile devices, would like to know the tile method :D

btw: do you know the solution to "software update needed... missing features: WebAssembly" :/?

• If you change the code like this, it cuts the number of collision checks in half:

Also, you can add other optimization tricks. Say, perform overlapping checks every 2 or even every 3-4 ticks (instead of doing this on every tick). Because LED display is so "low-resolution" it will still look good.

I tested with 600 dots and 2 rotating Mask sprites, and with all these tweaks I'm getting comfortable 55-60 FPS on my very old Android phone.

Tilemap method is a bit more difficult and it also relies on overlapping checks. You loop through all tiles inside the sprite bounding box, and for each tile use "System Pick by overlapping point" event to check if the sprite is overlapping this tile. I don't know if this method will be faster or not.

• In my project i pasted approx 4000 dots. But not all of them using because there is a particle effect which used for LED and particles are random in screen and to cover those area i filled approx area with dots which cause performance issue.

If their a way by which i can appear dots just behind objects and move them grid wise.

Suppose i have sprite moving around smoothly and can i create bunch of dot sprite behind that spirte to cover that and when sprite is moving then move dots too but grid wise.

Can we do something like that?

• I am not sure I completely understand your question.

4000 sprites is a lot! You need to destroy or disable collisions for dots that are not on the screen. Make collision polygons as simple as possible (rectangular for dots). Remove any effects and behaviors from dots, stop animations.

If you only need to animate one sprite with dots, then there is no point in filling the entire screen with them of course.

• Layer properties: "Use render cells" "Yes"

• Hi dop2000

I have found a way by which i can move dots in grid pattern. and I don't have to paste 4000 sprites i only need even less than 100 sprites. I tested it successfully. Now i stuck on another thing. Now I want to create no of dots behind the sprite and want to position those dots to cover that sprite. (Sprites are not complicated graphics but those are simple circles).

is their any way by which i can create no of dots to cover width and height of Sprite.

For Example:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)