How do I make my character wallclimb?

1 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
2d mushroom sprite 2d game mushroom character enmy sprite game art
  • Looking to have a very high movement platformer. Double jump along with a wall climb.

My character wont climb the wall right now and currently I have jump disabled until I can figure this out.

Here is a screenshot of what I have put in. Character is stuck to the ground still.

Here is my file so far:

drive.google.com/file/d/1UpKJPXguVw0grvkozzGWKXLfVNB2Fj88/view

• I've decided to make it so the player can run and jump then climb the wall but so far it still doesn't seem to be working.

• To simulate a jump with vector Y, you need to use negative values, otherwise it will push your object downward

• Tomycase is right, negative values go up. However, I think there is still more wrong with it. Right now you have to hold W and ↑ for the character to climb. Unless that´s intended, you can use an OR-Block. (Right-click event > make OR-block)

• yeah my thought WackyToaster was to have it so the player could jump onto a wall and hold shift to climb it or if they don't hold shift they would fall normally.

• Still seems to not be operating correctly. Anythoughts guys? I updated the working file.

• Hey guys, I still haven't been able to figure this one out. Any advice? I'm still baffled.

This is and creating a dash mechanic for my platformer have been absurdly hard

• I made a quick and dirty wallclimb mechanic but it´s not perfect.

wackytoaster.at/parachute/dirtywallclimb.c3p

There´s a few things in the project that you should absolutely fix.

1. The characters collision polygon is inconsistent. I fixed it in the project but ideally you have an invisible sprite in the background that represents the collision and doesn´t change at all and have the player sprite pinned to it.

2. I think you should add something like a state machine to handle the players movement. Right now e.g. you can use your doublejump while climbing. Having a state machine would help with this. (There is even an addon but I haven´t used that)

Basically you have a variable on the player that defines what state he is in, e.g. "if shift is down & has wall to left/right > set variable to climbing" and then you can easily check along the lines of "if player is (not) climbing > ... " Doing it like this helps as there is always a defined state the player is in rather than stuff like a climbing player could also be considered "in the air" and thus pressing W uses the double jump. Same goes for stuff like dashing, jumping, falling, attacking,... Hope that´s understandable.

• Do you know what addon you'd recommend? Thank you for taking a look. I knew I may have to do that at some point.

As for the player sprite bit, is there a tutorial on how to do that? or a project file I can look at?

I feel all this learning is eating up the time I actually want to spend in making the game since this is all gameplay related, a little disheartening to be stuck on such simple things.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There´s this addon but as I said I never used it. It probably works fine.

construct.net/en/make-games/addons/441/finite-state-machine

For the sprite it´s quite easy. Take your current player object and remove all animations. Just keep one frame and make it a box of whatever color. Make sure that the collision polygon is a box and resize it to your needs. Then add a sprite with all the animations as you previously had. Select both, rightclick the box and do this

A little arrow will show that they are connected. Set the box to be invisible and you´re done. The sprite will move along with the (invisible) box. The box will make sure everything stays consistent and you can do whatever animations you want with the sprite.

I feel all this learning is eating up the time I actually want to spend in making the game

That´s just what you gotta do

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)