Why don't people reply to 3d forums often?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Tap the ball, control it, avoid touching spikes and score higher!
  • I posted a few 3d forums and looked around at older ones, and many people do not reply to ones that are about 3d. Is this because 3d isn't usually used in Construct 3, and is normally used in Unity or other game engines or is it because the feature is unavailable and cannot be made in Construct 3's 3d?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's most likely because Construct isn't meant for 3D games. People have asked Scirra to add more support but they said they want to make the 2D as great as possible (also because 3D is a big thing to undertake), so that's most likely why. It could also be that people might just not know the answer to your questions, also probably due to the low 3D Construct support.

• Construct 3 didn't arrive with 3D stuff, it was a new feature that was added and not everyone is making use of it or is an expert in it.

• I mean there aren’t that many 3d features available in construct so trying to do anything beyond the obvious features will be more involved if possible at all.

For example even throwing a tomato in 3d becomes an involved multi part problem. Construct doesn’t really provide anything that would make it easier.

1. The tomato would need to be a sprite or a mesh. If a sprite you’d probably want to use a distort mesh so that you can have the sprite always face the camera. But only if the camera is set with the look at action. The camera rotate action makes it harder. Then if 3d there’s the problem of the limited number of 3d shapes. For that you’d either need a third party 3d plug-in, or do some trickery with distort meshes.

2. To move the tomato we’d need to do the physics from scratch. None of the behaviors will help here.

Off the top of my head the motion and basic ground plane collision detection would be this:

Every tick
    — add gravity*dt to vz
    — set x to self.x+vx*dt
    — set y to self.y+vy*dt
    — set z to self.z+vz*dt

Z<0
    — destroy

To launch you’d set the starting z position, then set the velocity (vx,vy,vz) to the camera’s forward vector times some speed.

Anyways as you can see there is math involved. And the names of things are different in construct. Like zelevation instead of z. Plus you’ll want to set the project z scale from normalized to regular.

I know an example would be ideal but I feel like I’m re figuring out how to do it every time. As is it’s hard to just drop an answer without an example and have it be clear how to implement that into construct.

• I understand that 3d isn't used by many users here and that it is hard to add secondary 3d support when the focus is 2d. I am not great in both of those, which is after I got the basics of 2d, I wanted to start 3d since construct has the same GUIs for them.

• I think 3D in Construct is mostly to add "flavor" to 2D games.

I had a great deal of fun putting together my retro-3D game "Vault of Peril" but it is, essentially, a glorified 2D game looking from a different angle. And there's not much future in that other than as a curio since people have played better for decades. As simply a game-making hobbyist I can't go any further than the trial allows (a fun, game-like challenge in and of itself), but even having unlimited Construct resources would not get me, personally, much further with my ability level. And someone with professional skills wanting to build even a decidedly retro-looking 3D game would most likely choose another engine.

But, as mentioned, it was a whole lot of fun and as a non-programmer I don't know how I could have done it without the event system (and I still lurk here).

construct.net/en/free-online-games/vault-peril-32857/play

• R0J0hound

Yeah, there is no examples or references really since 3d isn't made in construct that often. And I know there is no custom shapes in construct without plugins or addons. There is no example in construct itself that I know of or a 2d example either.

• bigcatrik

I like how you made the shooting in your game, and I want to do something similar, but make the "projectile" go down with physics, and that could probably be done by taking away from the Zelevation every x amount of seconds. My game also can move the player's camera up and down, but same movement as yours.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)