Which uses less Memory/Load time premade maps or hundreds of sprite instances.

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
The game will give you a dog that appeared and you must say if he appeared more, less or equal.
  • Which would be best? Create a game map with all sprite images - save as .png & Load that into construct, then add collisions to it. OR - Have Construct Create new map and design it with numerous sprites and the many instances of those sprites achieving the same result. Which would use less memory & which would load quicker - less CPU and or GPU memory.

• Hi. If there are elements on your map that are repeated, it is better to upload them separately. For example

-Grass or ground is a background tile.

-Rocks and bushes are separate sprites.

• Thank you for your feed back. I know what you say. BUT; If I load 20 sprites and each have 100 {just for clarity} instances of those sprites created. Is it better to let construct create those 100's of instances each call to the map? or; is it better to negate that and fully have the required map already created as a .png with no instances and just apply collisions? Thank you. I could use Photoshop or another tool like RPGMaker and such to achieve the same result.

• Instances by far. Each instance/copy of an object effectively doesn't take any additional graphical memory at all.

• Thank you for your feed back. I know what you say. BUT; If I load 20 sprites and each have 100 {just for clarity} instances of those sprites created. Is it better to let construct create those 100's of instances each call to the map? or; is it better to negate that and fully have the required map already created as a .png with no instances and just apply collisions? Thank you. I could use Photoshop or another tool like RPGMaker and such to achieve the same result.

When loading the layout into video memory, each sprite view is loaded once. In your example, only 20 sprites are loaded into memory.

So breaking the world into small repeating parts is very beneficial.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • In addition to saving memory, partitioning has another great advantage. You can make each of these objects interactive, apply different effects, change animation frames to simulate changes such as destructibility. You can deform them separately using meshes or behaviors. And a lot more.

• Thank you. I will create the map using Tilemap. Just thought that a Photoshop type .png complete map would have been better. EASIER YES; BUT Not practicle.

Trying to keep the file size down to manageable. Love construct in general. I have my answer; again thank you all. Be safe; Be well.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)