What type of tutorial would be most useful to you?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Carousel Animation, make carousel of you image gallery or anything
  • Hello,

I've been around the forums for years and feel like I want to give back to the community in some way. So I'm thinking about making a tutorial, maybe a few if it's well received. But I wanted to get your feedback on what kind of tutorial would be most useful to you.

Before I ask I'll tell you a little about myself. I've been using Construct for about 5 years. I've launched 2 construct games on Steam, Whitevale Defender, and Daka Dara. One educational game I made as a contractor (can't link that one). Also made small game jam games you can find on my itch.io page. I'm not saying those are good games, but that I've learned a lot.

First off, I'd like to focus on intermediate to advanced topics, as I feel there are plenty of really good beginner tutorials already out there. It will be Construct 3 only. Finally, I don't make mobile games nor online multiplayer games so I can't do anything related to those.

So what kind of tutorials would be most useful to you?

• How to create a specific genre with a broad take on the genre specific tropes (zelda-like, jrpg, rogue-like, city builder, survival, etc.)?
    • In-depth on a specific game topic (visual/audio effects, dialogue system, enemy AI, RPG battle system, loot system, menu system, input re-mapping system, etc.)?
    • Technical topics (loading/reading data, debugging/testing, how arrays/dictionaries work, how NWjs works, installer for NWjs export, etc.)?
    • Game design & production (brainstorming/refining ideas, pacing/balance/choice/randomness, story/meaning, scheduling/planning, production process, organizing a large C3 project, etc.)?

Those are the broad topics with a few examples to get your brain thinking. So leave a comment about what kind of tutorial will be most useful to you and I'll wait about a week before I make a decision.

Tagged:

• Nice offer! I would be interested in 'advanced enemy AI', e.g. beyond the usual simple behaviors of evade, wander, chase, attack. For example environmental behavior (use cover, help attack, alerts, waypoints, ranged vs melee attack choices, etc.)

• a guide with some techniques for loot boxes, rewards, store, iap, rewarded ads, virtual coins etc, and how to actually make people buy the crap :DD That's the tutorial I need

• a guide with some techniques for loot boxes, rewards, store, iap, rewarded ads, virtual coins etc, and how to actually make people buy the crap :DD That's the tutorial I need

Sadly I know nothing about any of that. I know a little about selling premium games on steam. But most of those topics are mobile specific and I don't make mobile games.

• Thank you so much. Can I suggest a tutorial about an Adventure game with puzzles, keys to open doors, hidden rooms and defeating enemies and solving the logic?

Whatever tutorial you create, your efforts will be appreciated.

Keep up the good work!

Chris

• Thank you so much. Can I suggest a tutorial about an Adventure game with puzzles, keys to open doors, hidden rooms and defeating enemies and solving the logic?

Do you have a specific adventure game in mind to base it off of?

• I struggled to gather resources on exporting for Steam and aspects related to that process. Of course there are different resources out there but a lot aren't specific to Construct -> Steam. Others are out of date or don't cover all options or troubleshooting I came across.

In fact, I just posted here before I read this post. So still have things I need to look into.

On the same note anything related to NWJS I'd read as I need to gain a better understanding now that I'm having to troubleshoot these issues.

As for the other topics you've mentioned I'd be interested in the more boring type of ones, ha, that a lot of them deal with organizing data, which can always find tips to help out in those areas. So such as menus, RPG system, city builder.

I've used Arrays, Dictionaries, Local Storage, Scripting, and such plenty to store/organize data, but seeing which route you would go to setup the above mentioned systems would interest me.

Also, Advanced AI and various effects, as I rarely use any of the built in visual effects in Construct.

• A pet simulator and care game. I cannot find a tutorial for this topic anywhere for Construct.

• A pet simulator and care game. I cannot find a tutorial for this topic anywhere for Construct.

Do you have a specific game in mind that I can base it off of? Nintendogs or Tamagachi?

• I was thinking like tamagotchi. I have an idea for my own type of pet/care game, but I have no idea how to start. Thats why I've been searching for tutorials lol

• > A pet simulator and care game. I cannot find a tutorial for this topic anywhere for Construct.

Do you have a specific game in mind that I can base it off of? Nintendogs or Tamagachi?

Second this! A tutorial on how to make a game similar to nintendogs would be nice e.g. how to setup the simulation so that my interactions with the animal trigger other events.

or turn-based battle games like pokemon or final fantasy.

• YES! YES! YES! THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

• It would be exciting to see tutorial on circular maze that includes maze generator and path finding solution.

• > > A pet simulator and care game. I cannot find a tutorial for this topic anywhere for Construct.

>

> Do you have a specific game in mind that I can base it off of? Nintendogs or Tamagachi?

Second this! A tutorial on how to make a game similar to nintendogs would be nice e.g. how to setup the simulation so that my interactions with the animal trigger other events.

or turn-based battle games like pokemon or final fantasy.

Rexrainbow created the fuzzy logic plugin for c2 which would be perfect for this, but its never been converted to c3.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thank you again. My favourite adventure game is the Medievil - Primal series on PlayStation one (Medievil 1 and 2), Primal (Playstation 2) and Medievil (PS4). Also, Atlantis for PlayStation One comes to mind.

Medievil the hero Daniel Fortesque has to defeat the evil sorcerer Zarok. He has to make his way through 20 levels full of corpses, enemies which he has to defeat with swords, bow, hammers, axes. There are also puzzles to solve. Every time he kills an enemy the chalice is filled until full. Then after finishing successfully he goes to the hall of heroes to get extra weaponry.

A better candidate is Atlantis which is a graphics/text-based adventure full of weird puzzles. In this adventure there are enemies but they are not killed by weapons but by solving puzzles or riddles or search for alternate paths.

Hope this helps to get your ideas.

Chris

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)