Having an issue with the Editor being grayed out after closing preview

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Supports 1D, 2D, 3D arrays. Import and export arrays in JSON format
  • I still encounter it on pc, chrome.

I has no reliant steps to reproduce, just somehow happens from time to time.

And i am very dissapointed with it still being a thing for months.

• On desktop if you see this happen, does resizing the browser window bring the dialog back?

• Ashley I can confirm that resizing the browser window does NOT bring the dialog back.

• In addition to editor being greyed out after i do preview, it sometime fails to close the preview loading window. Making it impossible to save project if i hit preview before saving my recent changes.

Still no steps to reproduce - it just happens from time to time.

BUT

I've tried to install C3 editor as a desktop app from chrome - and the greying out and hanging loading issues are gone. I consider it a workaround.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've tried to install C3 editor as a desktop app from chrome - and the greying out and hanging loading issues are gone. I consider it a workaround.

That doesn't make any sense, it's running the same code in the same browser engine. If it's sporadic it's hard to prove that something fixes it, making it easy to mis-attribute workarounds or causes.

• "That doesn't make any sense, it's running the same code in the same browser engine."

I agree. Since it's a toxic bug (with no solid steps to reproduce) and, as far as i can see, it only affects a limited number of users, my best bet is to wait for another stable release to properly retest it.

Meanwhile, since i am unlucky enough to be affected, i will stick to any workaround that actually works, even if it makes no sense.

My wild guess is that the editor can grey out or hang if there is a considerable ammount of events and objects in it. E.g. my current game is 4000+ events and 900+ objects.

Anyways, i will get back to reproducing it with the next stable C3 version.

• I can only use C3 as a desktop app from chrome, otherwise the editor will grey out and freeze once in a while. Commands like crtl+S (save) are still available.

Could this be from an extension on chrome? I only use adblock.

Sometimes the preview layout window fails to load the layout preview... Very sporadically...

Just because it doesnt make sense, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

This bug will be identified one day.

• I don't know if this issue was "fixed" on the recent releases, but it is happening on r218... now even if opening the "chrome app window" it is happening, and that was a solution for me before... getting worried about it, it is haunting me again. First time it happen on the editor app, it fixed itself after switching windows/tab, but right now it just happened the bad way, when nothing is editable and everything is still "paused on unfocus" kinda of situation...

• No it still happens all the time to me. I'm getting used to it.

• It's now sometimes happens on the desktop C3 version aswell.

I just launch a browser tab preview, and when i get back to the editor it is sometimes greyed out and inactive. I have to press E (new event hotkey) and close it to get it back to life.

• NoSoul8 I'll try that "pressing E technique", I always have to Crtl+S to save, close everything and reopen.

It only happens after launching a preview tab and trying to get back to the editor, seems like the window still "thinks" it is unfocused and should be greyed out

• I still have absolutely no idea how this could happen (the code is a pretty simple show/hide pair, and every show is paired with a subsequent hide), but one thing to try could be to disable UI animations, just in case there's some kind of weird browser bug involving animating the fader in and out.

• Just for the history, i'm gonna give a try to what Ashley sugested, since i'm affected.

Menu - Setting - unchecked the Enable UI animations

What have i spotted right away is that the "preparing project data..." popup for browser tab preview now hides before the game is launched. While with the Enable UI animations checked, it's left behind, so when i returned from the preview to the editor, i still had half a second to spot the text.

• sounds promising, I'll give this a try!

• On desktop if you see this happen, does resizing the browser window bring the dialog back?

I have had this problem since a very long time on C3 (Desktop, Chrome)... and I have always found that re-sizing a dialog (or re-sizing any left/right panel) somehow brings everything back to normal instantly. (Not re-sizing the chrome window but re-sizing anything inside C3 editor).

So, for anyone who faces this sudden "hang" or "Grayed out", just re-size an open editor, or side panel.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)