Game won't run on any tablet devices [Solved]

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Hello.

I've made a game using C3 and published it for Android.

It's now available on the Play Store and works on every phone.

The problem is this: it doesn't run on any tablet. The loading bar runs, and then the app just closes. No message.

I know there could be many reasons for that, but what could possible be the cause for preventing it to specifically run on ANY tablet, while running on every phone? How can I pinpoint the cause?

I'm totally lost...

I searched the forum, but I couldn't find another case like this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

HCF

• does it run on a tablet if you do a remote preview? or an HTML export?

are you using any plugins that require a feature only found on phones?

• does it run on a tablet if you do a remote preview? or an HTML export?

No, it has the exact same behaviour as when I run the installed app...

are you using any plugins that require a feature only found on phones?

I don´t think so. I'm using just the most basic and standard plugins (audio, sprite, touch,...).

Any clue what it could be? :(

Thank you for your time.

HCF

• Additional information:

In an attempt to find the problem, I created a backup of my project and have been experimenting with it.

This is what I tested:

-Deleted all the event sheets from the project - still didn't run on tablet

-Deleted all layouts from the project (except starting layout) - still didn't run on tablet

-Deleted all images/object types from the project (except the image at the starting layout) - RAN ON TABLET

What does this mean??

Are the images the problem?

Is there one image in there that's breaking the game?

Are there too many images (there are 415) ?

• You might be running out of memory if it'S an old tablet

• You might be running out of memory if it'S an old tablet

I see... You're probably right...

The weird thing is that, so far, no tablet (that I know of) has been able to run it.

Anyway, could the huge ammount of images in the project be the cause of the excess memory usage? (I was hoping the "deduplicate" feature would save me from that problem, since there are many cloned objects in the project. Looks like I was wrong)

• Debug your APK.

This is the best way to get actual informations and see what might be happening.

Make sure your project follow the performance tips as well as the memory usage tips.

Even your export to phones might improve from those later on.

• 400 doesn't sound unreasonable. Do you have some large sprite(s)? Maybe something over a couple thousand pixels wide and tall?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey,

here some tips: In the "Project bar" go right click on the project name, then "tools" -> "view project statistics". There check this sentence: "Estimated peak memory usage is..." For mobile games you should try to keep it around 150 MB or less. I don't recommend to go above that because then you will have especially older / cheaper phones / tablets which can't handle the memory usage.

If that's not the point in your case, here is another problem with images I had: Please check if you have any tiled-backgrounds which are very small (1x1px) and scaled up to fit the whole background or anything like that. This will let the game crash on specific phones / tablets (this has nothing to do with how good the phones are, but this error appeared only on some phones and there every time...).

Also check if you have any tiled-backgrounds which are completly transparent (so no image is shown, it's just a transparent file). This will also cause these crashes.

• Wow, that's a lot of helpful tips there!

Thanks, Kyatric and CGamez. I'll be sure to check all that today!

400 doesn't sound unreasonable. Do you have some large sprite(s)? Maybe something over a couple thousand pixels wide and tall?

Don't think so. I get a warning message whenever I try to export a project containing a large sprite, so I don't think that's the case. But I'll be sure to check it manually, just in case.

Thank you guys for your help. Now I have plenty of clues to follow! Till now, I've been trying alone for weeks, with no idea where to start.

Hopefully I'll get around this issue! I'll let you know when I do :)

• here some tips: In the "Project bar" go right click on the project name, then "tools" -> "view project statistics". There check this sentence: "Estimated peak memory usage is..." For mobile games you should try to keep it around 150 MB or less. I don't recommend to go above that because then you will have especially older / cheaper phones / tablets which can't handle the memory usage.

I just did that. It's 594 mb!! Daaaaamn!!

Well, I guess at least I found the problem.

Now, time to restructure the whole game, I guess -_- AHAH!

• construct.net/en/blogs/construct-official-blog-1/remember-not-waste-memory-796

Although, modern devices should be able to handle 1G worth of vram use. But 600 is still quite a bit unless your project is massive, so I'm sure there are ways you can optimize memory use.

• I had a game with 700 MB memory usage with 10k+ installs on Google Play and had crashes on all phones with less than 2 GB RAM. Of course new phones easily can handle this, but if you publish a game you should make sure that it's working on every device you are targeting. So a device you are targeting should have at least 3 times of your games memory usage and more.

Luckily I managed to reduce the memory usage to 140 MB with some resizing of images and since then I had 0 crashes from that. Easiest way is to remove / split your biggest images. But it depends a lot to the project how you can decrease memory usage the easiest way.

• Yes, I have been resizing images for the past hours. Hope it works.

700 to 140? Wow! What do you mean by "spliting" images?

• Ok, maybe the answer to this will be a obvious "YES", but does the fact that like 70% of my game "engine" (i.e. the battle system) is in just 1 event sheet have a big impact on memory usage? Or it doesn't matter?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)