Fullscreen Quality is brilliant - but how does it work?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
  • Hi,

This morning I found a magic solution to my performance issues when going full screen on mobile (a problem down to lots of graphics - nothing to do with Construct!)

Toggling fullscreen quality to 'low' yielded surprising results: a massive increase in FPS (60 constantly) with zero visible change in my artwork's quality (that I can see anyway).

First up, thanks for this feature.

Secondly, what exactly is it doing? I'd expected some serious 'jaggies' or a dip in visual quality but I can't see any negatives.

Thanks!

Tom

• First of you can see a first explanation in the manual article about project properties, and especially the "Full screen quality" one.

construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/project-primitives/projects

The memory usage tip manual article has a paragraph on "Downscaling quality" as well which might give you further understanding.

construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/memory-usage

Finaly, Ashley writes some technical blog articles about how Construct works, on a regular basis.

construct.net/en/blogs/ashleys-blog-2

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi Kyatric

Thanks for the info!

I'll check out the other links.

EDIT:

Ah, I see what it does now:

"Fullscreen quality

This only applies when the viewport is being stretched (i.e. Fullscreen mode is not Off). High quality mode renders at the full resolution of the displayed size. Low quality mode first renders at the project viewport size, and then simply stretches the result to fill the screen. Low quality mode often improves performance on low-end systems and is often suitable for retro-style pixellated games with Point sampling. However note that text, downscaled sprites and effects will appear with better detail in high quality mode."

Probably the reason I'm not seeing any perceptible loss in quality is because it's not being stretched a great deal.

Much appreciated

Tom

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)