Frankly, Whats the point of c3?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Connect the dots in the correct order and draw happy animals!
  • For example: If I have a license C3 version and my buddy has a free version and I use my version to upload his capx and export it to a different platform is Scirra going to know of that and will they lock my engine?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

• > ....

>

You've asked about security several times already and Tom has to repeat himself. What is it you're so worried about that hasn't been addressed? No one is looking through your capx files. No one is stealing your "code" on the cloud. And no you can't make a side business helping to export people's files.

You don't like the sub. You're not going to sub. But you're just rehashing the same security stuff because you're looking out for the interests of others who might buy it, who are more than capable of reading the T&C regarding security? Come on.

On topic of this thread: The point of C3 is an upgrade to C2. Different look, some new features, different support. It's not a demand to upgrade. Many of us kept using Unity 4.6 long after Unity 5. You don't have to upgrade, but if you do, you do it because you want the features that C3 has which may not be in C2.

Tom is here and does not need you to answer or run interference for him Bleenx.

Kindly stay out of that conversation and do not use my name in a quote using your own words or distorting what I said.

• Tom is here and does not need you to answer or run interference for him Bleenx.

I'm not answering for him. I'm asking you questions.

For example: If I have a license C3 version and my buddy has a free version and I use my version to upload his capx and export it to a different platform is Scirra going to know of that and will they lock my engine?

Dig yourself that hole. This is making you come across as if it's something you plan to do, not something hypothetical. Is this why you're worried about security?

• They can't talk about security as that could lead to ways to circumvent said security.

Suffice to say it would behoove them not do anything that would get them in legal trouble.

• Well I thought made clear in my previous post and you basically told me to shut up and stop asking and read the privacy T&C when it comes out?

I don't believe I've told anyone to shut up, I'm being patient.

I want to know how C3 is handling security that will allow you to know what a person is publishing to enforce your license?

For example: If I have a license C3 version and my buddy has a free version and I use my version to upload his capx and export it to a different platform is Scirra going to know of that and will they lock my engine?

We've never 'locked people's engines'. And I don't think it's reasonable for us to go into our anti piracy measures with you as part of an effective anti piracy strategy is not outlining what exactly we do to combat it as it's a game of cat and mouse. Our policy internally (and we've debated the ins and outs at length) is that we know some level of piracy will happen, but we will always do our best to ensure it never, ever affects legitimate paying customers. As long as you're a legitimate paying customer you do not need to worry.

I don't know of any other way you could enforce your license without including code that would allow Scirra to internally shut down a specific engine

We've never shut down a legitimate paying customers engine.

and that raises privacy concerns over who is vieweing and possibly copying our capx projects.

It doesn't, as I've explained a few times now we don't have access to your CapX files unless you explicitly decide to upload them as files to our arcade or as forum attachments.

• > Tom is here and does not need you to answer or run interference for him Bleenx.

>

I'm not answering for him. I'm asking you questions.

> For example: If I have a license C3 version and my buddy has a free version and I use my version to upload his capx and export it to a different platform is Scirra going to know of that and will they lock my engine?

>

Dig yourself that hole. This is making you come across as if it's something you plan to do, not something hypothetical. Is this why you're worried about security?

No you are trying to attack me personally for asking questions to Tom about security while running interference. That is obvious to anyone reading this thread.

End of discussion with you.

• End of discussion with you.

Not quite yet.

No you are trying to attack me personally for asking questions to Tom about security while running interference. That is obvious to anyone reading this thread.

I never attacked you. You asked if you could do something; I asked if that's why you were worried about security.

Now we're done!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Please both be civil to each other, no need for that.

Lamar, any other security related questions or are you satisfied with those answers now? I'd be interested if you had similar concerns with other engines and if you took that into account when choosing Construct 2?

• They can't talk about security as that could lead to ways to circumvent said security.

Suffice to say it would behoove them not do anything that would get them in legal trouble.

We need a thumbs up button.

• > Well I thought made clear in my previous post and you basically told me to shut up and stop asking and read the privacy T&C when it comes out?

>

I don't believe I've told anyone to shut up, I'm being patient.

> I want to know how C3 is handling security that will allow you to know what a person is publishing to enforce your license?

>

> For example: If I have a license C3 version and my buddy has a free version and I use my version to upload his capx and export it to a different platform is Scirra going to know of that and will they lock my engine?

>

We've never 'locked people's engines'. And I don't think it's reasonable for us to go into our anti piracy measures with you as part of an effective anti piracy strategy is not outlining what exactly we do to combat it as it's a game of cat and mouse. Our policy internally (and we've debated the ins and outs at length) is that we know some level of piracy will happen, but we will always do our best to ensure it never, ever affects legitimate paying customers. As long as you're a legitimate paying customer you do not need to worry.

> I don't know of any other way you could enforce your license without including code that would allow Scirra to internally shut down a specific engine

>

We've never shut down a legitimate paying customers engine.

> and that raises privacy concerns over who is vieweing and possibly copying our capx projects.

>

It doesn't, as I've explained a few times now we don't have access to your CapX files unless you explicitly decide to upload them as files to our arcade or as forum attachments.

Saying you haven't locked an engine when you have not released C3 which has new security features is not exactly answering the question.

Can you lock a specific engine on C3?

If there is no way for Scirra to view a capx or in some way add a tag to the exported projects we produce I sure don't see how you will enforce your license?

I am interested only because an internet based model of design is going to open up security and privacy issues.

• I'm being patient.

Like a saint! Teach me, Buddha

• [quote:2fbx51ze]Saying you haven't locked an engine when you have not released C3 which has new security features is not exactly answering the question.

We can't lock people's engines. We can only remove the ability for them to use paid licensing features (eg unlimited events, export options etc). This is exactly how Construct 2 works, and we do on occasion revoke users licenses. Most common circumstance to do that is when the customer does a credit card charge back on their purchase as the payment was fraudulent.

[quote:2fbx51ze]Can you lock a specific engine on C3?

We can revoke people's access to paid features and make them fall back to free edition, exactly the same as Construct 2. And I imagine, in a very similar way to how other game engines do it as well.

[quote:2fbx51ze]If there is no way for Scirra to view a capx or in some way add a tag to the exported projects we produce I sure don't see how you will enforce your license?

Well, we don't. You're talking about stopping people sharing licenses in some capacity which is very difficult for us to stop. As I mentioned before, we never intend to spoil legitimate paying customers experience of Construct.

If we look back at Construct 2, there have been a handfull of times when we've revoked paying customers licenses. This specifically happened when we saw the license being used thousands of times over a short period. The way we deal with this is email the customer a new license, then revoke their old one.

Are you happy with those answers?

• Please both be civil to each other, no need for that.

Lamar, any other security related questions or are you satisfied with those answers now? I'd be interested if you had similar concerns with other engines and if you took that into account when choosing Construct 2?

Yes I read the security and privacy conditions before I ever get into any contract which is what I highly recommend for everyone.

That is why I have suggested you put those out here in the forum so we can have time to look them over and discuss them before some people rush to purchase C3.

That is as much to the benefit of Scirra as it is to your users as it shows complete openness and something Scirra should be proud of and is a selling point.

• > Please both be civil to each other, no need for that.

>

> Lamar, any other security related questions or are you satisfied with those answers now? I'd be interested if you had similar concerns with other engines and if you took that into account when choosing Construct 2?

>

Yes I read the security and privacy conditions before I ever get into any contract which is what I highly recommend for everyone.

That is why I have suggested you put those out here in the forum so we can have time to look them over and discuss them before some people rush to purchase C3.

That is as much to the benefit of Scirra as it is to your users as it shows complete openness and something Scirra should be proud of and is a selling point.

I commend you on reading security and privacy conditions of any software you buy, more people need to do that! And I'm glad you found Construct 2's agreeable and that was a factor in your buying decision.

Do you understand that the risk of us publishing our privacy and terms and conditions ahead of them being finalised is not good from our perspective, or your perspective? They will both be able to be reviewed during the public beta by everyone. If we publish them now, and change them between now and the final version we could be accused of misleading customers. And secondly, I don't see any point to publishing them ahead of actually having use of the product. We'll publish them when they are ready, and when the product is ready like everyone else in the world does!

• >

> > Please both be civil to each other, no need for that.

> >

> > Lamar, any other security related questions or are you satisfied with those answers now? I'd be interested if you had similar concerns with other engines and if you took that into account when choosing Construct 2?

> >

>

> Yes I read the security and privacy conditions before I ever get into any contract which is what I highly recommend for everyone.

>

> That is why I have suggested you put those out here in the forum so we can have time to look them over and discuss them before some people rush to purchase C3.

>

> That is as much to the benefit of Scirra as it is to your users as it shows complete openness and something Scirra should be proud of and is a selling point.

>

I commend you on reading security and privacy conditions of any software you buy, more people need to do that! And I'm glad you found Construct 2's agreeable and that was a factor in your buying decision.

Do you understand that the risk of us publishing our privacy and terms and conditions ahead of them being finalised is not good from our perspective, or your perspective? They will both be able to be reviewed during the public beta by everyone. If we publish them now, and change them between now and the final version we could be accused of misleading customers. And secondly, I don't see any point to publishing them ahead of actually having use of the product. We'll publish them when they are ready, and when the product is ready like everyone else in the world does!

Thanks and I will leave it at that for now. I am sure I and others will have many more questions about the license, security and privacy requirements when C3 is released.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)