Frankly, Whats the point of c3?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Connect the dots in the correct order and draw happy animals!
  • I can't get Super Ubie Island on consoles and i really wish i could.

This is a major issue when trying to develop bigger games.

This issues has me seriously looking into Game Maker Studio 2. But I really do enjoy the event system in Construct. Big reason why I am so on the fence. But I can't keep developing projects without a way to deploy to consoles

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

This issues has me seriously looking into Game Maker Studio 2. But I really do enjoy the event system in Construct. Big reason why I am so on the fence. But I can't keep developing projects without a way to deploy to consoles

This thread has really got me thinking about the strength of Construct 2/3. Most of my work is expressly for the web -- I mostly do interactive simulations for my students, and have no need to port to any other platforms. I might well be in the minority here, but Construct 2/3 is the perfect tool for me: I can build quickly, deploy instantly, directly to my target platform.

If you can hold off for 8 or 9 months, Fusion 3 is suppose to have an event system similar to C2. Not sure how complex your game is, but here some games made with Fusion:

Distraint 2:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =859651900

Five Nights at Freddy's (I heard there is a movie in the works):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319510/

Odallus - The Dark Call:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319480

Silence of the Sleep:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321870/

• I think we are in the right place is we want to make serious, commercial HTML5 games.

Great point, although I see HTML5 in its current state as a limiter word, eg: "Wow that's AWESOME!.... for a Flash game!" era stuff just now with HTML5.

And actually, other engines now offering ASM.js at export (C3 is editor-only so far, but export is different eg: the Unreal Engine 3 demo in HTML5 was amazing back when it was a Firefox experiment), means that even that reason to stay around Construct will fade away if C3 doesn't catch up.

Easiest way I've seen yet to do ASM.js though? Export C/C++ first then convert to JS

• The only reason we don't already support Xbox One is we've been a bit tied up with the C3 launch. We'll have something out on that soon.

• blurymind

Apart from one-time purchases and native-exporting to mobile, what does the "competition" have that's better at game development than C2?

I'm just curious.

Native exporters smaller game file size (important on mobile), arguably better optimized games..

bigger number of successful games on steam made by the competition

• Shouldn't you be over at Fusion keeping up with thread you made about Reasons to buy Fusion 3 instead of Construct 3 ? Or, you could help with bug testing here

• Shouldn't you be over at Fusion keeping up with thread you made about Reasons to buy Fusion 3 instead of Construct 3 ? Or, you could help with bug testing here

Bug testing sounds better

That thread served it's purpose - it got people to talk about why they are on the fusion forum. You are invited to come by and comment on it of course

• > Shouldn't you be over at Fusion keeping up with thread you made about Reasons to buy Fusion 3 instead of Construct 3 ? Or, you could help with bug testing here

>

Bug testing sounds better

That thread served it's purpose - it got people to talk about why they are on the fusion forum

/agreed. It's good to check out things.

I really like the speed and fluency of the c2 editor. Its primarily the reason it took me so long to "move on". A few others here nailed it when they said c2 is quick and agile, great for prototyping or perhaps a simple mobile or web game. But it really does start to fall when size and scalability come into play.

My question for you is, why bother with GMS when c2 is better for what the two offer. If you make the leap to GMS, why not just use unity, or unreal? I mean, even in the GSM community there are plenty of people who only use it for prototyping and stuff before moving the project into (insert engine here). It's true that making a small game in unity takes longer, but once you get to mario3 on nes sized ambitions an environment like unity or unreal are better serving- I have moved several projects from construct to unity and while it is a risk I took in dev time, it has since paid off. I use c2 to try out quick little ideas, but do the real implementations in unity.

On a side note, I read an article about you somewhere (bank publication, the internets, I'm not sure where), but I liked you story. I admire the risks you took and the perseverance you have had in game making.

• >

> > Shouldn't you be over at Fusion keeping up with thread you made about Reasons to buy Fusion 3 instead of Construct 3 ? Or, you could help with bug testing here

> >

>

> Bug testing sounds better

>

> That thread served it's purpose - it got people to talk about why they are on the fusion forum

>

/agreed. It's good to check out things.

Thats whats got me a bit miffed. I checked things out and c2 was awesome, but had its flaws (great for prototyping and small stuff - but not for making sonic the turtlehog, or super martellio brothers). It was my hope that c3 would be addressing what made large projects difficult, as well as rounding out the essential, basic tools needed in a game engine. I want to work in c2 and by extension c3, but c2 wasn't a feasible choice despite it being my first choice, and c3 is shapping up to be another potentially great tool, if only x, y, and z. Leaving me still developing in unity.

• Leaving me still developing in unity.

That makes you smart, trust me. C3 will be good for what it's intended to be. I think the only way I'd use Construct for our large projects would be if it had an event system plug-in for Unity. I like events. They're fun. But I like C# more.

• So is coding with unity as hard as it seems? Is playmaker any good for bridging the gap?

• So is coding with unity as hard as it seems? Is playmaker any good for bridging the gap?

Playmaker is the most popular when it comes to visual scripting in Unity. But, if you want something that's more comparable to C2's event-like programming, in my opinion, GameFlow is probably your best bet. Plus, it's cheaper than Playmaker.

• Just to say, as a Linux-only gamer and developer, Construct will change things for me.

C3 is the only one to support Linux with the editor and that alone is a pretty big thing for us.

Good work Scirra!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)