Force WebGL1

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Build a thrilling space station scenario with these level assets and characters.
  • fredriksthlm

I can confirm that after manual switch to WebGL 1 all works fine.

• Can You add this switch between WebGL1 and WebGL2 in to the project properties??

We don't add new project settings just to deal with temporary bugs. It would end up clogging up Construct with all sorts of unnecessary settings.

• Without going through the thread, is there an official fix for this or are we waiting for Google to sort it out?

Does this mean we can’t export for android unless we choose to deselect WebGL and settle for low quality graphics?

• Without going through the thread, is there an official fix for this or are we waiting for Google to sort it out?

Does this mean we can’t export for android unless we choose to deselect WebGL and settle for low quality graphics?

1 wait for google

2 no (you can amend the runtime file manually)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok - so is it an issue Google are aware of and are looking into?

• Aaaaanyone?

• Bootfit

Test your app with WebGL 1.0 [manual set up] or switch to canvas [WebGL off].

Or wait .... for WebGL2.0 fixs by Google/GPU ODM and other brands like Sam/Hua/others

• Well I’ve tried it with WebGL turned off but that just makes all the graphics lose their anti-aliasing and everything looks jagged.

In regards to the manual WebGL workaround - I’m not exactly comfortable digging around in code files - that was the whole point of choosing Construct, you didn’t need coding experience to produce industry-standard games.

And as far as the fix by Google and other brands, is this an issue they’re aware of and have acknowledged or are we just hoping they have?

• I agree with Bootfit. Disabling Webgl makes my game looks horrible. Ashley wrote that they will not add an option to use OPENGL 1 in the editor to not clutter it but the issue seems to affect a pretty wide range of devices so something should be done on Scirra's end. I use Construct 3 to get around these kind of headaches.

• Still repeating myself...

Have you tried filing an issue with Google like I previously suggested?

• While waiting for the issue to be fixed you can try my guide on how to work around the problem, I tried to make as easy as possible to follow: force WebGL1

> Have you tried filing an issue with Google like I previously suggested?

Ashley

I don't know about everybody else here but speaking for my self I can honestly say that I'm not knowledgeable enough to file an issue about these sorts of things to google. My workaround guide exists only because of people on this forum who are way smarter than me provided a way to temporarily work around the problem, I just took that info and made a simple guide with lots of pictures :)

Is it not also in Scirra's interest to help their customers in situations like this even if the fault isn't with Construct? Not to fix the problem but to contact the people who can since Construct in part relies on their software (in this case webgl2) to work.

Just a thought :)

• The issue is that Samsung Internet (v6.2 & v6.4) uses a fork of chromium, based on v56. Which did not support WebGl2. (So back then all games used WebGL, and worked fine!)

When samsung rolled out their Samsung Internet 7.2, like one month ago, which is a fork of chromium v59, it got official support of WebGl2. So now it returns true on that call. and the issues started.

But WebGL2 works really really bad on mobile. So depending on which graphics people used in their games they got different issue, mostly they just get black screen (they get the color of the background layer actually).

Note, Chromium is now on 67-69 (depending on track), so the Samsung Internet are always using forks of really old chrome versions!

Sidenote: Safari on iOS still has the 'Enable WebGL2' flag default to OFF. So "our" games is still forced down to WebGL on iOS, thats why they works fine still. But when Apple change the WebGL2 flag to On dy default the same issues might happen to iOS platforms as well. And this might happen any time, since apple have the setting experimental atm.

So even if the mobiles can render some stuff in WebGL2 and will enable it, the support is still really bad, so forcing down to WebGL will be a good idea for long time I believe.

(This is just my thoughts and others might have different views on the topic)

• Ashley

I don't know about everybody else here but speaking for my self I can honestly say that I'm not knowledgeable enough to file an issue about these sorts of things to google.

They have smart engineers who regularly deal with "my website doesn't work" type bug reports. If you point them in the right direction and clearly explain what the issue is, they can probably figure it out.

Is it not also in Scirra's interest to help their customers in situations like this even if the fault isn't with Construct?

We regularly do - I've filed many issues with every major browser vendor - but we have not observed this issue ourselves yet, which means it's best for the affected users to report it. Dealing with a bug often involves a few rounds of back-and-forth "try this... how about this..." If we can't observe it then we're not much use in answering that.

Besides, it's a useful thing to get familiar with doing. If you have browser-specific issues or you feel that for some reason we're not doing enough about something, you can bypass us and go direct to browser vendors.

I'd also add graphics driver bugs are absolutely nothing new; they've been regularly cropping up on all platforms for years. We've never added any settings in response. The browser GPU blacklist is the way this has always been dealt with, and this case is nothing new. It's been 28 days, someone should at least try filing an issue.

> Have you tried filing an issue with Google like I previously suggested?

Ashley - have you tried filing an issue with Google? Why is it left to your customers to do this? Many of us have chosen to use Construct because we don’t understand things at a technical level. Is this issue affecting your competitors? Have they looked into implementing fixes or are they also relying on their customer base to do the work for them also?

Edit: never mind - just seen your reply above.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)