Dreamstrata from 2 to 3 : Thoughts

0 favourites
  • Since initial animation property is now handled with a rollout, you can use it as a quick way to make comparisons if the sprite doesn't literally use animations.

An example would be a turret with multiple shot types. Rather than remembering all the shot types, you can store the names as animations and have the code check for which animation is running to determine how the turret will shoot.

Fun ways to make Construct easier to work with.

• Construct 3 extraordinaires stay humble because remember the time when we couldn't even select multiple animation frames in the editor?

• The new timeline editor is a wonderful addition which adds the required (something I probably cannot do without) convenience for creating more complex interactions in a more compact manner by eliminating the need to do transforms with the event sheet in place of keyframing with object movement within the editor.

Master key frames is an interesting concept that I've never seen in all the previous timelines I've worked with. Visualizing all your key frame placements within one single line is quite convenient.

The obsessive list of easing options is one of the best parts of this editor, because combining them within context of how fast you animate them yields numerous results within a single easing type itself.

---

With it being an experimental option, it already does production level things. However; when you have a dialog focused above an opened timeline editor, pressing the spacebar while typing text will play the timeline and will eventually crash Construct 3 when you commit to completion of the dialog, namely the `add built-in function` one because that's where I found out that it did such a thing.

• One of the benefits of timeline object manipulation is being able to stack transforms. One timeline can be blended with another timeline animation. This actually allowed me to create a puzzle sequence through impromptu development with comical zest.

One of the dangers with the experimental-phase timeline is that if you don't lock the transforms in the timeline before deselecting the object in question, you'll likely lose all the animations you have created; not only the keyframes, but also the added properties.

• Does Construct allow for complex game making? This is somewhere along the lines a question that all ambitious people have asked about Construct in general, not just 3. As a person who developed for Unreal Engine 3 back in 2013, that question is better handle with the word "How" tacked onto the front of it. How does Construct allow for complex game making?

If you have enough logic creation experience, then Construct will be somewhat of a breeze to prototype or build literal logic with. Cleaning up your mess is easy when it's all visual.

Setting aside how complex the playable characters are in the Dreamstrata project, we can look at something a bit simpler, albeit still rich enough in detail to remark on in regards to this subject. The piranha plant that I made in the past few days has plenty of interactions that cater to stuff seen in full body games published on console/pc and whatnot, if that's even a proper measurement to go by...

The piranha plant can be stunned in two ways, killed in two ways so far, shoot fireballs, and bite you. To stun the piranha plant, you either hit him with a forest club for the cheese or smack him while he's actively trying to bite you. On his active frames before he actually bites you is where you try to land the hit. It's a risk/reward play.

All of these things are written into under 40 lines of code blocks and is pretty efficient. A lot is being done with fairly little. You can do complex things with dutiful optimization on any platform. I happen to enjoy the tactile feel of visual scripting within Construct and hopefully the exporting options are being rounded up with the same level of dedication as Construct and Dreamstrata, so that this project will be able to launch to multiple places, allowing as many players to play this as possible.

• I had a dream last night (no pun consciously intended) that I played a demo of this and Kill's movement was really fun

Keep up the good work :)

• I had a dream last night (no pun consciously intended) that I played a demo of this and Kill's movement was really fun

Keep up the good work :)

Gracias brethren.The work is pumping out daily, hours on end. The reports coming into this thread are naturally all the project necessities being brought up as they come along.

There was a small play test session among family and they were entertained with the first 2 minutes of the run through. It'll be a while before a demo is fleshed out because it's teeming with unconventional game play. See you there when the time comes.

• Built-in functions have some peculiar problems in regards to cut-paste. When trying to cut and paste from one event sheet into another, it assumes that there are triggers which do not allow you to proceed even when there are no triggers in the event.

When cutting and pasting into the same event sheet, it will rename the function into the same name with a numerical suffix. All the while, there will be a ghost instance of the functions former name within the built-in functions dialog listings until you close Construct or perhaps reload the project. This one is dangerous because the function calls aren't updated to the new suffix name, so functions that don't exist are trying to be called, which makes it so that the game build won't run.

This was discovered as I was trying to organize the event sheets. Surprisingly I have not attempted to cut/paste a built-in function from one event sheet into another until now and I've been working on this project every day within Construct 3 since I started this thread!

• A major quality of life update for the animation editor is also refreshing the duplicated frames when you do the reload from original source function. In construct 2, this wasn't available, so animation updates were nightmarish.

I feel bad for those who are in internet threads discussing updating to Construct 3 and have come to a near blind conclusion that they will be on the fence about it, because the integrity of the software differences is night and day at this point.

• Built-in functions have some peculiar problems in regards to cut-paste. When trying to cut and paste from one event sheet into another, it assumes that there are triggers which do not allow you to proceed even when there are no triggers in the event.

When cutting and pasting into the same event sheet, it will rename the function into the same name with a numerical suffix. All the while, there will be a ghost instance of the functions former name within the built-in functions dialog listings until you close Construct or perhaps reload the project. This one is dangerous because the function calls aren't updated to the new suffix name, so functions that don't exist are trying to be called, which makes it so that the game build won't run.

This was discovered as I was trying to organize the event sheets. Surprisingly I have not attempted to cut/paste a built-in function from one event sheet into another until now and I've been working on this project every day within Construct 3 since I started this thread!

In regards to this incident, it seems as if it were an isolated one, because function cut/pasting seems to be working wonders today. It is a bit alarming that something as hazardous as this was happening out of nowhere though. It wasn't a concern of whether or not it will crash the preview builds or anything. I was more worried that the ghost functions would still be lurking in whatever code was written and that they would be permanently stuck as functions that can't be accessed nor deleted permanently. That's the kind of stuff that is worrisome when you're working with visual scripting.

• With the implementation of multi-select animation frames, it would be nice to be able to apply image point and collision updates to selected. There was a case where the last 5 frames were at an offset due to needed padding for flesh to fall off, and this option would have been perfect at the time.

• This post may state progress on my project, although it isn't exactly the focus of it. After concluding the Piranha plant enemy logic (a sprite mentioned earlier in this thread), the line count nearly doubled after all the polish and justifications of his/her existence.

From an organization standpoint, that's quite a bit to handle, and with the new coloring options to tack on top of the existing grouping options, it can be cleaned up to the point where you have it all under one tab of an entire event sheet. It feels like managing your Microsoft OneNote.

This is an important thing to bring up because I read from somewhere that some guy says that your projects can start to become unruly when your events start stacking up, but c'mon, seriously? The internet is dangerous sometimes, because people's opinions can become gospel if that's all you have to measure things by.

So in conclusion, my organizational skills are probably far better than the person who said that event sheets can become unruly, because my events are going to be colossal, and they are NOT going to be unruly.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Timeline subfolders seem to not retain their names upon restart of Construct 3.

• After adding a fat pink bunny into the forest, I was dying when his unstoppable might was mowing me down.

During this time however, I realized that I forgot to pass his UID into the animation function and two bunnies started doing the same action. When developing AI, you should have a clone somewhere out of the play space to see if you miss any UID passing to the functions that want them.

All the while, I realized that when you open the condition dialog and type "u, i" into the search field, the Pick by Unique ID still shows up. Secret keywords in the program. I like it!

• It's just a tiny tiny bit unfortunate when you drag and drop an audio file into the project and it transforms the Construct 3 editor into an html5 player. Well I guess how big the misfortune is dependent on how long ago you saved.

I still take the risk even though I know it happens. Perhaps experimenting with whether the project sound folder has focus or not will minimize the risk, let's find out. But as it stands, be careful.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)