Crazy Pricing Model. C'mon Guys it's 2024 not 2005

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
It's here!
$4.95 USD
Creepy and nasty horror track. It's terrifying from the beginning till the end. Goosebumps guaranteed

But I get it, other engines have entire teams dedicated just to platform specific things, and for Construct just 2 engineers have to do this stuff on the side.

But then you get updates that add a BBC micro:bit plugin that reminds you that Scirra's priorities and goals doesn't necessarily always align with your goals.

True, if BBC micro:bit support was posted in the suggestions platform it probably would have gotten zero votes. That's one of those updates where I assume they have some educational sales angle that makes it worth it for them (at least I hope so), but which I find a bit depressing because it consumed time and effort that could have gone towards supporting those of us working on mainstream platforms.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

I approached programming for fun, I'm not suited to code, but programming with Construct is easy and a lot of fun and so I started using it, my goal would be to publish on Steam, but I don't even know what an SDK is and where to start to publish on Steam, reading about all these problems scares me, it would be nice if there were an official guide to do it, which would guide you step by step, after all making programming easy for those who don't use codes is nice, but if when the game is ready we don't know how to publish it and it has to go through hell there is in my opinion a lack, it seems like a contradiction, I hope more attention is paid to this issue, it would be much appreciated, obviously I speak for myself and for less users experts.

I'm spooked about the nwjs steam plugin by Scirra no longer being maintained. I do understand Scirra's side, yet another plugin to maintain when there's alternative available. I'd love to use webview and I did explore it, but just few reasons I cannot use it. I would willingly tear apart my project and replace all nwjs events for webview, but currently there's just a few pros to nwjs that win me over.

The only fully working, relatively easy monetization option in C3 afaik is mobile.

Unfortunately, mobile monetization in C3 is not much better. You have two plugins - very basic IAPs and Admob. Which may be ok for a hobby project, but if you want to work with publishers, they will laugh at you.

Here is the list of 3rd party addons we had to use in our mobile games:

Ads:
    AdColony Ads
    Admob Ads
    AppLovin Ads
    Chartboost Ads
    Facebook Ads
    Fyber Ads
    HyprMX Ads
    InMobi Ads
    Mobile IronSource
    myTarget Ads
    Tapjoy Ads
    TikTok Ads (Pangle)
    Unity Ads
    Vungle Ads

Plus social, billing and analytics addons:
    Firebase Analytics
    Firebase Crashlytics
    Firebase Startup
    Gameanalytics
    Mobile AppsFlyer
    Mobile Billing
    Mobile Facebook
    Mobile IDFA
    Mobile Notification
    Mobile Review
    Mobile Toast
    My Tracker

Almost all addons are by Chadori, may he live long and prosper!

Oh I didn't know it was that bad when it comes to Steam and Mobile Stores. I don't understand then, why Scirra doesn't invest some time into it with a FEATURE FREEZE, since the engine's pretty solid at this point and integration's apparently lacking very much and needs work. And, it'd be another great selling point for Construct 3.

Something like Facepunch Steamworks would be amazing :P If they can wrap the C++ into .Net, I'm sure Scirra with their skillset can do something similar, since there's even WebAssembly used internally inside C3.

WebView is IMO relatively useless, since on some computers it doesn't run either when I give it to people. The couple megabytes it saves isn't that important in 2024, I'd rather have integrations, crossplatform ability and something that runs :'D

How C3 users are able to monetize their games wouldn't be an afterthought like it fells now, it would be the #1 priority.

I agree 100%, all these years requesting this to be a Top priority but we are still on the same point it shocks me!

The only fully working, relatively easy monetization option in C3 afaik is mobile. I personally don't care about mobile and never really looked into it, so I just assume it works, because I didn't hear much complains about it.

...besides the usual iOS pain.

iOS has been totally broken for quite some time:

There is nothing worse than to find out that you have worked for 3+ years on a game targetting as your main platform iOS and when you are finishing out you find that that platform is completely broken. We had to ditch iOS and target another platform because we knew this was not gonna be fixed any time soon.

Here is the bug report:

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-bugs/issues/7626

It's been two months since a bug was filled with webkit but they never even replayed.

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=268250

C3 Team needs to find an alternative export option for iOS as it is always broken and WebKit doesn't care to fix their issues as some bugs take 1+ year to fix, if they ever get fixed. This is not the first time this has happened and I dont think will be the last, basically each iOS update there are issues, if you look on the forums for threads you will find many iOS update issues that took a very long time to fix.

The problem is not the C3 license price, the problem is when you finish a game you cannot monetise because most of the time those platforms have issues exporting to them. I know they always say "but is not C3 fault" though we the developers are not asking who is at fault is, but instead, we are asking to find an alternative so we can monetise our games regardless of whose fault is. It's been many years with this issue yet there is no solution and when you see plugins being added that a lot of us are not gonna be using, but to monetize to some platforms is still an issue due to the bugs is really frustrating. I honestly dont care about the new things being added, I would prefer you to fix the issues on those platforms so we can monetise our Games, I wouldn't mind you stopping adding new things to C3 for some time to fix all the monetisation and platform issues. To be honest we shouldn't have to say this as it should be a top priority for the Game engine team but the problem is the developers agree with this way of developing with C3 otherways they will raise their concerns more often.

Every C3 Game we tested have the canvas bug issue yet no one cares:

Here is some:

Yeah, mobile is a fickle beast. Apple is cooking their own soup entirely and break things on a whim and android has a billion versions each with different browsers and other minute differences like notches and stuff. I'm honestly a little surprised that anything works at all. But I cannot imagine this to be a Construct-exclusive issue, but other engines simply have the resources (possibly even a small dedicated team) to work around whatever compatibility issue pop up. And the big mobile companies have practically infinite money too to just toss at these issues until they are solved.

Wait did the yearly price change from $100 to $130?

very basic IAPs and Admob.

dop2000 What do you mean by that? Personally I hate ads and wouldn't add them in my games, but looking at the IAP plugin, if this plugin would be working on web, and not just mobile, I would already be very happy. Or am I missing something?

What features are you missing when you say it is basic?

Do you mean that it doesn't have this entire list of Ad networks? IMO it is unrealistic for Scirra to implement and keep up to date every existing Ad network, I think if they have a solid implementation for one that's fair.

But web currently has none, no authentication service, no IAP or any payment integration.

Chadori is great and the 3rd party addon creator that I would trust most with monetization addons, but IMO 3rd parties should be a complementary alternative to the available official solution and not the only available option for something this crucial. Not to mention the issue of trust with something security related.

Maybe Scirra could at least add a seal of approval in the C3 store for monetization (or other security relevant) plugins, where they check if those plugins are handling things properly and are risk free for Construct users.

What do you mean by that? Personally I hate ads and wouldn't add them in my games, but looking at the IAP plugin, if this plugin would be working on web, and not just mobile, I would already be very happy. Or am I missing something?

The official plugin still doesn't support subscriptions. It's lacking some other features, which are present in Chadori's Billing addon - product verification, receipts, promocodes etc. And yeah, both plugins are for mobile only.

I don't know if it's feasible to support all those AD networks. But none of the publishers we were working with used Admob for ad mediation.

I totally agree that Scirra should collaborate with big addon creators like Chadori or Mikal - perhaps give their addons an "official" or "recommended" status, provide support and ensure compatibility.

What this guy is trying to say is that construct 3 is very cheap for how powerful and intuitive it is. But I am sure that the majority of users use it just for hobby or fun. I hardly use it but I am happy to pay that subscription every year. And that is why I thank the guys at Scirra for putting all their effort and passion into that powerful engine and for thinking about the economy of all their clients. I don't know anything about code but I have a lot of fun with this.

Just reading through this made me realise that I've been a Construct user for 10 years now. I have finished maybe 50 smaller free web games or family/friend projects, countless prototypes and 1 commercial release as a hobbyist - how times flies! When the subscription model first appeared I was pretty angry, I work in software and I know the idea behind these models is usually to get a lot more money for doing less, but I have to say that feeling didn't last, and I don't think that way about Scirra.

Even though I don't get as much time on it as I'd like, at the current price it is definitely worth it, and I am happy to keep paying it for the foreseeable future. Ashley's point about having a sustainable company is a very good one, we get regular updates, and it's clearly a labour of love and not a cynical business model. All businesses have to make money, and I've found I'm much happier giving my money to a smaller business that is sensible about how it's run.

I do feel a bit for absolute beginners, because there are a lot of people who would love using C3 but will never be able to justify a subscription just to try it. It would be nice if there was a less restrictive free version somehow, for those who just want to see if it works for them, but you can't have everything I suppose.

My only complaints really echo those of everyone else, in that for the entire 10 years I've been around I was hoping for an easy and robust Steam release process, integrated and supported where possible. My only commercial release was my last act in Construct 2, and I ended up abandoning all the Steam features so I could release it. I was quite excited about the possibility of building something for Steam Deck, so hoping one day we get something. Other than that I'll continue to be an advocate of C3 and sing its praises to people.

This may never ending talk !

From start of C3 we have a must want function - Which i guest like long backlog story ...

Now C3 which some simple 3D (129 Buck as well)

So let make most-wanted list for C3 feature if you want it!

I am actually aggravated because they used to offer discounts and they apparently do not any more.

Anyway I started writing a game 4 years ago. I had bought C2 in the past and paid for C3 a couple of times I think. Then circumstances in my life caused me to stop for that long. Now I want to resume this game I started and I have to pay for a license to see what I already wrote. On top of that I have to spend time to re-learn it not being 100% sure I will actually have time to finish it.

Very frustrating. At leas they should allow me to see what I wrote before when I had the license! Seems not fair that what I paid for at the time is not accessible any more.

Very frustrating. At leas they should allow me to see what I wrote before when I had the license! Seems not fair that what I paid for at the time is not accessible any more.

You can open any project in the free version even if it's way above the free limits. You just cannot edit it. So you can read through your code as long as you need without having to pay a single cent. If you want to edit, that's where you'll need to buy again.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)