I have actually read every single post now which took me a while
So before they close this thread I want to make a comment.
I agree with the OP and totally share NotionGames concerns. I was happily using C2 for making my games and everything went so well. So I kept working and working for months. Then when it was time to publish I realized that the exporting of the game was the hardest part. First mobile and all the 3rd party wrappers and then desktop and steam integration.
I had to do tons of workarounds. Testing almost every available NWjs version to find one that worked on most systems at least and luckily got a lot of help from — who helped me out a ton and even developed a fantastic steam plugin that works great. And when I finally had my game up and running on Steam I got the opportunity to publish on xbox one. Microsoft was very helpful and helped me set it all up and sent dev kits and everything. But after a lot of hard work they came to the conclusion that is was not possible to release a C2 game on xbox one.
This was pretty hard to hear as I've always thought that it was possible and the games main target was xbox one. So finally had to give up on it and I was pretty heart broken at that point
However, now it actually seems like it will be possible to publish my game on xbox one and Microsoft have contacted me again and informed me that they are working on it. So hopefully this will work out and C2 actually will have a working console export as advertised. So Ashley has actually listened and is doing something about it which is really great. And will include these changes regarding xbox one to C2 and not only C3 which is fantastic to hear.
So in the end. Thanks to C2 I was able to step into the world of game development and for that I'm super thankful. The event system is super easy to use and even if I at this point can work pretty fast in unity as well it will never be near as fluid and fast as c2 development is.
I have hopes for C3 even though I really don't like to work in the browser. I just don't trust the browser and all the errors that it is currently throwing at the beta testers. But hopefully it will improve a lot. So if they manage to make C3 stable and make the exporting part of the development a less of a hassle with tons of workarounds then I'll happily pay for my business license in C3 and stick to it for my 2d projects.
However, if the exporting problems remains then I'll sadly have to switch engine as well.
But for now I don't jump into any conclusions and will wait and see what C3 brings to the table.