Chrome mobile vs APK performance

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • I just discovered a new thing

I have a game made in Construct 3 which is quite big in size. It requires many processing in the background. But amazingly it runs super smooth in my android mobile.It was made long way back (around last year in September)

And yeah, when Construct 3 was free for the jam,I made few android games and it was lagging a lot on mobile. I simply ignored it.

Currently we are attributing the lagging issue to Android Webview. But why it is discriminating the apps made earlier and now in terms of performance? I believe that issue is in Construct 3 or something related to Cordova implementation because if Webview was at fault then my old game should had also lagged. But only new ones are lagging

For confirmation, download any game made in Construct 3 few months before and compare the lagging in it

• CascadeGames

Well you could test that. Why dont you re-export your old game from the latest version of C3 and compare its performance to the previously exported app?

See if there is a difference.

• Games

Well you could test that. Why dont you re-export your old game from the latest version of C3 and compare its performance to the previously exported app?

See if there is a difference.

Currently I don't have active license

• cesisco Hey man you got a response on crbugs. They are asking for an example apk that shows janking on Pixel devices.

bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail

I was going to suggest uploading your test APK to the chromium forum, but heres the thing. I just tested your APK on my Pixel 4a and it runs smoothly!

I dont see any janking in your test project actually.

• I tested in huawei honor 7x and it was lagging (was not smooth and was showing 60 FPS). And I have tested quite heavy games made in Construct 3 and they were smoothly running

No idea issue is in Construct 3 side or Webview side

• I tested in huawei honor 7x and it was lagging (was not smooth and was showing 60 FPS). And I have tested quite heavy games made in Construct 3 and they were smoothly running

No idea issue is in Construct 3 side or Webview side

Again tested and yeah, lagging. And truly speaking it is shockingly unbearable.

• Hello, good work you guys have put in.

The projects that been tested do they all run fine on pixel devices?

Also if it lagged on all the device except pixel it still a problem.

I think the list of tested devices and OS versions should be compiled into a list and posted on the issue. This sounds like a significant issue as the mobile market is an important one. I don't own a android devices myself, but it would be nice to get the problem fixed.

Could be helpful for the chromium devs to know so they have an easier time finding the issue if it is on their side.

How are you guys generating the apk-files?

I don't remember the workflow, if it is possible, try export a Cordova project and do the android wrapping manually.

• Artpunk CascadeGames klabundee Vikingvikingviking and any user who tested, can you list the devices where you seeing the problem, so I can list them all and post on the issue, so they can test, please?

In this format

Device: Samsung Galaxy A20 

Edit:Or just "Samsung Galaxy A20 (OS 10.0)"

• cesisco Hey man you got a response on crbugs. They are asking for an example apk that shows janking on Pixel devices.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1127307#c46

I was going to suggest uploading your test APK to the chromium forum, but heres the thing. I just tested your APK on my Pixel 4a and it runs smoothly!

I dont see any janking in your test project actually.

Yep, and they said that the original issue on that page was working fine on their Pixel devices too...but I think it's worth posting my example anyway.

• Hello, good work you guys have put in.

The projects that been tested do they all run fine on pixel devices?

Also if it lagged on all the device except pixel it still a problem.

I think the list of tested devices and OS versions should be compiled into a list and posted on the issue. This sounds like a significant issue as the mobile market is an important one. I don't own a android devices myself, but it would be nice to get the problem fixed.

Could be helpful for the chromium devs to know so they have an easier time finding the issue if it is on their side.

How are you guys generating the apk-files?

I don't remember the workflow, if it is possible, try export a Cordova project and do the android wrapping manually.

Hey Vikingvikingviking , that could be helpfull.I'm building the APK with the C3 build service.

Can you build my example manually so we can compare? I don't have all set up to do it right now.

Edit:Sorry, forget about it, I missed the part you said "I don't own a android devices myself"

• I'm sorry I'm not able to help out more.

clarkvr wrote about a similar problem: construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/how-do-i-8/generate-apk-construct-apk-160655

Together we can maybe escalate this more efficiently to the chromium devs.

• Artpunk CascadeGames klabundee Vikingvikingviking and any user who tested, can you list the devices where you seeing the problem, so I can list them all and post on the issue, so they can test, please?

In this format

Device: Samsung Galaxy A20 

Edit:Or just "Samsung Galaxy A20 (OS 10.0)"

Galaxy S9 SM-G9600 Android 10

• I just discovered a new thing

I have a game made in Construct 3 which is quite big in size. It requires many processing in the background. But amazingly it runs super smooth in my android mobile.It was made long way back (around last year in September)

And yeah, when Construct 3 was free for the jam,I made few android games and it was lagging a lot on mobile. I simply ignored it.

Currently we are attributing the lagging issue to Android Webview. But why it is discriminating the apps made earlier and now in terms of performance? I believe that issue is in Construct 3 or something related to Cordova implementation because if Webview was at fault then my old game should had also lagged. But only new ones are lagging

For confirmation, download any game made in Construct 3 few months before and compare the lagging in it

I'm trying to collect the device list where the problem is reproducible, to post on the chromium issue, but what you say should be checked indeed.

• Hey cesisco I just recorded my S9 screen and the problem can be seen in the record.

So you may send them screen records to show the problem.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • On my test Runs really really bad instead of just stutters it does big jumps lugging:

Galaxy S8

SM-G950F

Android 9

Render: webgl2

Not sure if this is normal but why does it print info like:

AppleWebkit/537.36

Safari/537.36

etc...

When the phone is a Samsung Android

Aslo, the Web version runs quite badly on the same phone so I'm not sure if this is just a problem with the APK or the whole Android, as both run the same (APK & Web)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)