Chrome mobile vs APK performance

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Edit:Any user who tested this, can you list the devices where you seeing the problem, so I can list them all and post on the chromium issue, so they can test, please?

Like this:

Samsung Galaxy A20 (OS 10.0)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:HTML link added

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm seeing a "Jank" problem when I compare the same project using Chrome mobile with the C3 remote preview feature VS an APK built with the C3 build service.

This is not a bug report, and I'm aware of all the other threads about APKs and Webview problems, but I didn't see a simple example showing that this is not a problem derived from bad optimization or bad practices from the user, but an issue that's out of developer's control and affects all users equally.

I took a day to test APKs on several devices, with several export options on Android 7, 8, 9 and 10, and the Jank problem still persists on the APKs no matter which render it uses, Android version or any other variable.

I made a simple project with just a circle rotating around a pivot point, and some Debug info about FPS, device, render and user agent.

What I'm seeing is a smooth movement on Chrome mobile, and a Janky movement on the APK even if it's 60FPS on both.

If someone is interested in testing the Chrome mobile VS APK, and get back here sharing their experiences I'll appreciate it.

C3 project

https://www.dropbox.com/s/978o9vzkttl0cdm/ChromeVsApk.c3p?dl=1

APK

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xlfvhdritadux2/ChromeVsApk.android.debug.apk?dl=1

HTML

punchytaps.xyz/bugs/janktest/index.html

Export options on this APK:

C3 241(latest stable)

The project settings are all on default

Minify mode: Simple

Min.Version : 5.1(but I'm seeing the same problem with higher versions)

Tested on:

Alacatel A30 XL

Redmi 5

Samsung A20e

Samsung Galaxy J5

Tagged:

• Instead of every tick,do "every 1 second"

• Tested both code and APK on my mobile. Yeah,what you are saying is absolutely correct. And it ruined my day as I am working on a huge mobile project 😭

Anyway, please do the modification as I have said and please upload the APK so that I can test that too.

• Instead of every tick,do "every 1 second"

Hi, this is just a generic example, you can even remove the every tick and it will jank.

• > Instead of every tick,do "every 1 second"

Hi, this is just a generic example, you can even remove the every tick and it will jank.

Are you sure that you tested without "every tick" in APK? If yes then I would like to go in past and say something important to myself regarding game engine

• > > Instead of every tick,do "every 1 second"

>

> Hi, this is just a generic example, you can even remove the every tick and it will jank.

Are you sure that you tested without "every tick" in APK? If yes then I would like to go in past and say something important to myself regarding game engine

Yes off course I tested that.This particular file example is not the problem, I did this example because of the problem.

Thanks for the feedback anyway

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Same here.

Galaxy S9.

Galaxy A8.

But we all know how this is gonna end.. I mean.. not end.

• Hey friend,can you test this c3p file (actually I don't have active account)

drive.google.com/file/d/1uAu975guxFsdfZt7zknQbdZCyKJzcbC7/view

Also share the resultant APK

• Hi cesisco Ive been down this rabbit hole as well.

I think the general theory is there is a bug with WebView on Android.

A game can play smoothly with zero jank on Chrome for Android but when exported as an Android APK it can show jankiness. This is true even when the APK is running at 60FPS with low cpu and memory usage.

This is the case with my game. When exported and run as an APK on Android it plays at a constant 60FPS, cpu ~20-25%, mem ~49MB (running on a Pixel4a, so a modern device)... but still shows jankiness when the player jumps around the screen.

In addition, when the game is exported for iOS it runs smoothly with no jank on an iPhone7 (a dated iPhone device).

If possible you could try your test project on iOS to confirm it plays well on that platform.

I have basically resigned myself to publishing my current project only on iOS until this issue is resolved on Android.

---

Bug reports about this issue on crbug.com:

bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail

• Hope for the future could come from:

-The underlying issue with WebView on Android is fixed. Ashley has stated the best way to get this addressed would be to post bug reports on crbug.com

-If Webworker mode was supported on Android APK in future that might help this issue?

• This means that mobile export will have to remain at mercy of Google to keep their webview bugfree? And suppose if it works fine and you launch an app for Android and later on webview gets hazy again,what will the developer report to the users? Pray to Google God? Or use the app later on when Webview will be working fine? Looks disastrous

What is the guarantee that iOS one will also work in future? Because it is something which is not in Construct 3 hands

And the story doesn't end here. Cordova is used for mobile export. There also they have to remain dependent on them to keep Cordova and related plugin updated. What if Cordova is dropped in future?( Cordova is in rapid decline and programming world had already rejected it's concept of one-time development ). I will not be shocked when Cordova team will say "We are now retiring it now due to lack of interest".

If the android issue remains for long,I guess it would be illegal to even say that Construct 3 can export to Android.

• Hey friend,can you test this c3p file (actually I don't have active account)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uAu975guxFsdfZt7zknQbdZCyKJzcbC7/view?usp=sharing

Also share the resultant APK

Hi, sorry dude, didn't test.The main reason of the example I made is having a very small and reproducible project to test.If the problem is present on this, it will be on any other example.

• Hi Artpunk, thanks for the feedback.

Yep, I think it's not a good move trying to build for Android at this stage.It's mesmerizing the difference of what we can do on a computer browser with C3, and what we can do on mobile.

I don't know if I should fill a bug report, since there are similar ones in place, or probably C3 users just should start starring those issues to draw more attention to the problem.(just 9 users starred this one)

• > Hey friend,can you test this c3p file (actually I don't have active account)

>

> drive.google.com/file/d/1uAu975guxFsdfZt7zknQbdZCyKJzcbC7/view

>

> Also share the resultant APK

Hi, sorry dude, didn't test.The main reason of the example I made is having a very small and reproducible project to test.If the problem is present on this, it will be on any other example.

No problem 👍

• Sorry klabundee I missed your post, thanks for the feedback.

Let's start starring this issue and hope for the best

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)